PDA

View Full Version : Sky Soundbox

gninnam
30-12-2017, 15:14
Took the plunge and ordered one on Tuesday evening.
Arrived on Thursday morning so plumbed in, powered up and listened too.

Guess what - sent back today!!!

The bass is so powerful it floods everything out - even when the volume is low, the bass is overpowering.
Tried it in different positions and with different things underneath it to no avail.
You cannot alter any of the settings on the unit at all so decided it's not for me.

Anyone else used or tried one and managed to get on with it?

Macca
30-12-2017, 17:15
You can change the setting to 'late night' or similar which reduces the bass.

Still not going to be as good as a decent pair of speakers and an amplifier. I don't really understand soundbars at all. Lets introduce a massive compromise by jamming everything into a little box, then use technology to try and make it sound half-decent.

If you have to have a soundbar due to WAF or something look for the Cambridge Audio one. One of my brothers has one and it sounds acceptable.

gninnam
30-12-2017, 19:12
You can change the setting to 'late night' or similar which reduces the bass.

Still not going to be as good as a decent pair of speakers and an amplifier. I don't really understand soundbars at all. Lets introduce a massive compromise by jamming everything into a little box, then use technology to try and make it sound half-decent.

If you have to have a soundbar due to WAF or something look for the Cambridge Audio one. One of my brothers has one and it sounds acceptable.

Can only set to 'late night' if you have a Sky Q box, which I don't!!!

Correct, reduction of boxes and WAF and I have hear'd some sound bars which are very good indeed.........

Macca
31-12-2017, 00:09
I didn't realise about the Q box thing. Oh well. You'd think they would put some adjustable EQ on the thing, even if it was just to adjust bottom and top a bit.

gninnam
31-12-2017, 12:08
No problem - I too thought of some basic adjustments but nothing!!
When I spoke to Sky about returning and the reason why, no hesitation from the guy so have a feeling that they get a lot sent back.

On the look out now for something else - do like the sound of the SONOS Soundbar/Soundbase but a bit too rich for me (have a PLAY:1 up in the bedroom which we do like).
The Soundbox was good as it wasn't full width so worked well on the TV stand so would preferably like something similar in size....... or, should I just build something?

Pieoftheday
31-12-2017, 12:52
A mate had a Sonos sound bar for a bit but swapped it for a cheaper and better , to my ears anyway, Yamaha ysp1400

Macca
31-12-2017, 13:56
....... or, should I just build something?

If you can then do it. DIY soundbar, not sure I have come across one before. Would be an interesting project.

gninnam
07-01-2018, 18:39
Not the time to build at the mo (and the tinny TV sound was doing my head in!)
Bought the Sonos Soundbase and so far so good (already have a Play:1 in the bedroom).