PDA

View Full Version : Tapatalk iPhone forum reader compatibility please

The Vinyl Adventure
24-02-2010, 23:20
http://www.tapatalk.com/

Steve, marco, anyone ...
Any chance of installing this ... I almost exclusively use this forum with my iPhone and if this will make it easier I'd like to give it a go!

Ta

Beechwoods
25-02-2010, 00:09
Hamish,

I've come across Tapatalk previously, and really want to try it out as well. I've floated the idea to the rest of the team previously. Rob (Filterlab) also has an iPhone so I'm hoping the idea will get some traction! I'm probably getting one when the 5g handset comes out around June. Tapatalk also supports the Android phone OS - from what I've read it looks fantastic, giving real ease of use to V-Bulletin on phones (against which a standard browser is really painful to use!).

So I'm with you... but waiting to get a phone so I can get it working and actually see that it works for myself. If Rob wants to run with it though, you might get it sooner, as he's got the hardware to test it out already...

I'm glad you posted this. I would be useful to see how many other iPhone / Android users we have here, and what appetite there would be for Tapatalk integration.

The Vinyl Adventure
25-02-2010, 00:22
To be fair safari is exelent for the most part, with only minor iritations when posting long posts... What with the photobucket app (that actually works these days) the iPhone is pretty snazzy when it comes to forums... That said if this tapatalk can iron out those last little glitches and make access a bit faster I will be most pleased

5g in June eh? I'm due and upgrade in august :eyebrows:
what 5g gonna give us then?

The Vinyl Adventure
25-02-2010, 01:21
Just had a go with tapatalk, seems pretty good to be fair... At first glance at least.
It has more features than unexpected it to...
There are some pretty bloody random forums out there you know!

Beechwoods
25-02-2010, 07:20
Oops! Should have said 4G!

But it is due out in June. Rumours are 5 megapixel main camera, plus front facing camera for video conferencing etc. Improved OLED display. Camera flash. Ignore the 'artists impression' in this article :)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186885/iphone_4g_rumors_heat_up.html

Marco
25-02-2010, 09:14
Lol... As someone who's owned the same (very basic) mobile phone for nearly four years (still functioning perfectly), and uses it simply for making and receiving calls, and sending texts, I always find these conversations amusing! :eyebrows:

Whatever floats yer boat though, chaps! :lolsign:

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
25-02-2010, 09:21
dunno what ya missisng mate ... (i think we have been here before marco, i belive i was typeing on the forum whilst on a bus at the time)

Oops! Should have said 4G!

But it is due out in June. Rumours are 5 megapixel main camera, plus front facing camera for video conferencing etc. Improved OLED display. Camera flash. Ignore the 'artists impression' in this article :)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186885/iphone_4g_rumors_heat_up.html

i looks like they are adressing the major bug issues... i wonder if the removable battery will last a big longer??

Marco
25-02-2010, 09:28
dunno what ya missisng mate ... (i think we have been here before marco, i belive i was typeing on the forum whilst on a bus at the time)

Hehehe..... The problem is, my head just doesn't work the right way, if you get me ;)

'Gadgets' and me don't really mix.

Anyway, if this 'Tapatalk' stuff makes accessing the forum easier for some people, or improves their user experience of it, then bring it on I say! :cool:

Marco.

Filterlab
25-02-2010, 11:41
Lol... As someone who's owned the same (very basic) mobile phone for nearly four years (still functioning perfectly), and uses it simply for making and receiving calls, and sending tets, I always find these conversations amusing! :eyebrows:

That's fine if you only want to call/text, but the world of mobile communication has moved way way past that limited usage.

I use my iPhone for business a lot, it's great for porting 'net based information, I can carry and use the work's database, I have a full office suite on the phone, I use it as a wi-fi network hard drive, when I'm meeting media clients and I can show them videos and demonstrations, I can receive emails from clients wherever I go and I can send various content (i.e. images from a client meeting at a new venue) to my media business partner's iPhone. It doesn't matter where I am, I never have to wait until I get home to do 'net based activity.

Amusing you may find it, but it's the shape of current technology and leisure (e.g. forums) fall into that area. Whilst you may not necessarily value it yourself, there's a multi-billion pound industry which earns from it and millions of worldwide users who depend on it. :)

i looks like they are adressing the major bug issues... i wonder if the removable battery will last a big longer??
Not all iPhones have battery issues. This is a screen grab from my current iPhone showing more than ample battery life:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Filterlab/iPhonelife.jpg

The Vinyl Adventure
25-02-2010, 13:58
My 3gs battery life is gash, in fact I have had it confined that it is in fact faulty...

Anyway, what about tapatalk?? I wants to give it a go!

Marco
25-02-2010, 14:15
Hi Rob,

That's fine if you only want to call/text, but the world of mobile communication has moved way way past that limited usage.

I use my iPhone for business a lot, it's great for porting 'net based information, I can carry and use the work's database, I have a full office suite on the phone, I use it as a wi-fi network hard drive, when I'm meeting media clients and I can show them videos and demonstrations, I can receive emails from clients wherever I go and I can send various content (i.e. images from a client meeting at a new venue) to my media business partner's iPhone. It doesn't matter where I am, I never have to wait until I get home to do 'net based activity.

Amusing you may find it, but it's the shape of current technology and leisure (e.g. forums) fall into that area. Whilst you may not necessarily value it yourself, there's a multi-billion pound industry which earns from it and millions of worldwide users who depend on it.

I think that you may have taken my comments the wrong way, mate, so you don't have to justify its benefits, which I fully accept. The smiley earlier wasn't intended in a 'sneering' sense. I was just laughing at how different people are! :)

It's simply that I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in 'gadgets' (which is all they are to me) that would allow me to do what you've described. My lifestyle is obviously very different from yours (and I suspect also Hamish's and Nick's), and so would have no need for the undoubted benefits in certain circumstances these things offer.

Personally, I hate it when computers and such like take over my life, and I find myself relying on them to exist - but that's just me. Therefore, I tend to distance myself from technology rather than embrace it, and only do so when I have no other option, as I find a lot of modern technology is invasive and makes us 'less human'. I'm afraid that I see mobile phones as (mainly) a menace in our society, not an asset, and so the less people are 'glued' to them in public when I'm out and about the better!

I understand though that other people have different needs and also views on this :smoking:

Each to his and her own, and all that - but if you think it would be an asset for the forum and to people using it, then go right on ahead and implement whatever is necessary :cool:

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
25-02-2010, 14:19
Tapatalk!

trailer
25-02-2010, 15:45
You need the "pro" version (£1.79) in order to post a reply I think.
I use to have a butchers at the AVforums (no swearing).

There seems to be an app for everything now. Even Spinal Tap have one.

The Vinyl Adventure
23-03-2010, 18:56
Any news on this front? it would apear pfm have done it too now

Beechwoods
23-03-2010, 19:24
Thanks for the nudge Hamish. I still don't have a phone to test it all on. I'll look into the logistics of getting it loaded though, if you're prepared to give reports...

The Vinyl Adventure
23-03-2010, 19:58
yep, il test run it for you happiliy!

Ali Tait
23-03-2010, 20:12
How will this make viewing the forum better? I ask out of interest,as I can view it just fine as it is on my googlephone.

The Vinyl Adventure
23-03-2010, 21:03
yeah i can view it just fine on my iphone ... its just supposed to be quicker and less labour intensive for the phone... it looks to have quite a nice interface and some quite nice little features relating to uploading images i think

Ali Tait
23-03-2010, 21:27
Ok,sounds like a good idea then.I use my phone a lot to surf too.

Kris
24-03-2010, 10:42
Lol... As someone who's owned the same (very basic) mobile phone for nearly four years (still functioning perfectly), and uses it simply for making and receiving calls, and sending texts, I always find these conversations amusing! :eyebrows:

Whatever floats yer boat though, chaps! :lolsign:

Marco.

4 years, is that all? I've had my (second hand one) for 7 years, and I only got that because the battery in my previous phone died after many years. I only have it for emergencies. And even then I rarely take it out the house with me because it's so big it won't fit in any of my pockets! One thing I've never understood is why people text each other. If you want to talk, it's quicker and easier to phone them! And I have absolutely no need for any features other than that of a basic emergency phone, although I do appreciate that it would be nice to have a camera sometimes.

So you could say that although I do have a mobile phone, I basically live a mobile phone free life. If someone wants to talk to me, they can call the house phone and leave a message on the answerphone.

I do accept though that some people need mobile phones for their work. And others just enjoy them as a hobby. Each to their own.

Kris.

MartinT
01-04-2010, 06:29
AoS looks fine on my HTC HD2 Windows phone too. What advantage does Tapatalk offer over normal web browsing? It looks like it's an iPhone thing only at the moment.

James G
06-07-2010, 09:53
Tapatalk is great. I use it while riding the train, waiting for an appointment, taking a shower, during sex, whatever. :eek:

Seriously, the advantage is that it formats everything for a touch interface, instead of having to pinch zoom for a lot of things. Plus it loads faster as it is only loading the text (you have the option to turn off images).

I think Marco's choice to distance himself from from some forms of technology just puts him ahead of the curve. ;)

I mean, just look at the mess that an innocent technology like agriculture has made. :lol: A lot of things would have never happened if we were all still spending the day gathering berries. Well, probably not.

Beechwoods
06-07-2010, 11:17
AoS looks fine on my HTC HD2 Windows phone too. What advantage does Tapatalk offer over normal web browsing? It looks like it's an iPhone thing only at the moment.

There are some excitable threads on the Tapatalk forums asking for Windows mobile compatibility. I guess this will come eventually. Tapatalk have done white-labelled clients which are Windows mobile compatible (the XDA-Developers mobile forum have their own branded reader which is WM compatible) and the Android or Nokia tapatalk client (I can't remember which one) is basically a Webapp which wouldn't be difficult to port... but it's about developer bandwidth I guess. The iPhone app is a native one and the best developed; to be honest WM5 and 6 are obsolete now. any development would need to be Win Mo 7 compatible or it'd be a waste of time.

MartinT
06-07-2010, 14:31
There are an awful lot of HTC HD2 and HD2 Mini users out there, so WM6.5 is not obsolete yet. I'll swing over to the XDA forum and see what they have.

amdismal
27-07-2010, 06:23
WM6.5 is not obsolete yet.

It's so nice to leave WinMo behind! Tapatalk is excellent - much quicker than the iPhone Safari browser for forums, and generally easier to use. And as for iPhone vs WinMo, don't get me started, the latter is just so terrible it's almost embarrassing I used it for so long!

MartinT
27-07-2010, 06:48
Each to their own. I love WinMo 6.5 with HTC Sense. To me, the phone does everything I need including tight Exchange integration. I really don't like the Apple phones.