PDA

View Full Version : Giorgino's System (Checking In)

giorgino
21-02-2010, 23:57
The toys I really, really like took a long time to get together. Probably never gonna get fully cured but the upgradetitis seem to be in remission (click for larger pic) ....

System with Lowther EX4

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/giorgino_photos/my-hifi/ex4_kit1a.jpg (http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/giorgino_photos/my-hifi/ex4_kit1.jpg)

System rack with source, amp and various tidbits

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/giorgino_photos/my-hifi/rm2a.jpg (http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/giorgino_photos/my-hifi/rm2.jpg)

Lowther EX4 with Mapleshade-like speaker platforms

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/giorgino_photos/my-hifi/ex4_1a.jpg (http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/giorgino_photos/my-hifi/ex4_1.jpg)

Rare Bird
22-02-2010, 00:05
Nice George Lowthers yum yum

snapper
22-02-2010, 00:11
My system, My room, My ears, My opinions (however numble)

And that,Giorgino is the main thing.

Welcome,and enjoy the forum.

Marco
22-02-2010, 00:11
Indeed! But what about the CD7, too? Someone else is here now with a 'proper' CD player apart from Snapper, Neil and me! ;)

...Not to mention the lovely Croft preamp in the first picture (which for some reason isn't listed in George's signature) :scratch:

Welcome to AOS, George - superb system :cool:

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
22-02-2010, 00:17
Nice system George!
So that's what a proper CD player looks like. Must look into getting one sometime.

Cheers!

Marco
22-02-2010, 00:20
So that's what a proper CD player looks like. Must look into getting one sometime.

Hehehe... You bit! :eyebrows:

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
22-02-2010, 00:24
Well, if you guys must buy some old nonsense that needs decent components putting in it before it'll play music properly..............
hehehe

giorgino
22-02-2010, 00:25
Indeed! But what about the CD7, too? Someone else is here now with a 'proper' CD player apart from Snapper, Neil and me! ;)

Heh, heh - I knew I came to the right place when I saw an entire thread dedicate to players/DACs running the TDA1541.... ;)
Glad to meet so many TDA1541 fans. Most of the forums I normally frequent don't seem to know about the CD7.

...Not to mention the lovely Croft preamp in the first picture (which for some reason isn't listed in George's signature) :scratch:

Welcome to AOS, George - superb system :cool:

Marco.

Wow! Well spotted Eagle Eye Action Man! :lol::lol:
That's the Croft Chameleon which I totally forgot to mention (amongst a couple of other bits of kit). I never really got on with it and couldn't really bring myself to selling it either. In that sense, it's currently in hifi purgatory...

Thanks for the welcome

giorgino
22-02-2010, 00:29
Well, if you guys must buy some old nonsense that needs decent components putting in it before it'll play music properly..............
hehehe

:lol::lol::lol: - You're not far off the truth for me anyway... My Marantz blew up (exaggeration) 2 months after buying it on eBay and the guy f*cked off back to Hong Kong! It did need about £1Ks of repair and upgrade so it's a keeper even if it kills me...

The Grand Wazoo
22-02-2010, 00:34
Your room looks like it might be pretty lively, but I see you've hung a few hunting trophies from a trip to Wales up on the wall, so that might help!

Marco
22-02-2010, 00:35
Hi George,

Oh, there's a few of us here running DACs and CDPs with TDA1541s. I've got a classic Sony DAS R1 with dual single-Crowns, which I use as a transport with my X-777ES, both heavily modified by Audiocom - they work, erm, quite well! :eyebrows:

Shame about the Croft... It looks like a creation from the 'Amar Regime'. I'd send it to Glenn for some 'critical circuit simplifying' (the stuff made during that era was rather over-complicated) and you'll end up with a stunning world-class preamp - trust me! :)

Marco.

P.S You need a T/T, though, for maximum Brownie points ;)

giorgino
22-02-2010, 00:54
Your room looks like it might be pretty lively, but I see you've hung a few hunting trophies from a trip to Wales up on the wall, so that might help!

Yeah - the roadkill on the wall is a bit of a token gesture...It's all a compromise. My flat is pretty minmalist in terms of decor. As a result, it's not particularly audio friendly so that's probably what I'll have to address sometime soon. I'm just looking for a room treatment system that deosn't make my place look like a sound booth. The good thing is that I seldom listen to music above 80dB (peaks 85-90dB) which seem to not bounce the sound around too much.

giorgino
22-02-2010, 01:05
Good idea Marco on the 'critical circuit simplifying' Croft - (mine's the 15W integrated). Will probably do that some time in the future as a "project". I'd like to pick you brain on the TDA1541 mods though and Audiocom's service. No real plans at the moment but something to I'd bear in mind.

No way on the TT! I just can't cope with getting another hifi rack, phonostage, arm and all the TT paraphernalia...Not that I don't believe analogue is better but I just don't have the room. :)

PS - well impressed with your listening room. Wish I had one...

MartinT
22-02-2010, 07:51
I'm just looking for a room treatment system that deosn't make my place look like a sound booth

I can't say they're cheap, because they're not, but TubeTraps from Acoustic Sciences can be made to order in any finish you like and they are extremely effective in treating a room's problems.

Joe
22-02-2010, 09:02
Just line the walls with bookshelves (filled with books, of course!)

Kris
22-02-2010, 09:34
And some nice carpet on the floor . . .

Themis
22-02-2010, 11:37
Very impressive speakers !

Is that an ATH Sovereign, on the shelves ? ;)

Spectral Morn
22-02-2010, 11:51
Heh, heh - I knew I came to the right place when I saw an entire thread dedicate to players/DACs running the TDA1541.... ;)
Glad to meet so many TDA1541 fans. Most of the forums I normally frequent don't seem to know about the CD7.
Thanks for the welcome

Glad you enjoyed the article George...I enjoyed writing it. Nice set up by the way.

Regards D S D L

Jonboy
22-02-2010, 18:19
Hello George, nice pics, nice system, looks like you will fit in just fine around here

giorgino
23-02-2010, 02:00
I can't say they're cheap, because they're not, but TubeTraps from Acoustic Sciences can be made to order in any finish you like and they are extremely effective in treating a room's problems.
Yeah - I'm considering getting these guys (http://www.gikacoustics.co.uk/gik-242-panel-4200-each-sold-3-per-box-12600-exc-vat14490-inc-vat-1-p.asp) which don't appear to be too ugly in situ. Not crazy expensive either.

Just line the walls with bookshelves (filled with books, of course!)
That would just mess with my mental Feng Shiu....:lol:

And some nice carpet on the floor . . .
What the hell is this? Do you guys work for "Changing Rooms"? Is one of you Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen? :ner:

Very impressive speakers !
Is that an ATH Sovereign, on the shelves ? ;)
Thanks Dimitri. Those are my ATHW100s. Lovely sounding 'phones. They work great with the NVA headphone amp (almost tube-like SS amp - weird). I recently bought the Burson audio head amp but I'm not sure the combo is doing it for me. Very nice sounding amp but almost too clean. Looks like an eBay job in the next coupla months...:rolleyes:

Glad you enjoyed the article George...I enjoyed writing it. Nice set up by the way.
Great article Neil - Would love to read the results of some shoot outs if that is ever possible. Are you "the Man" on the TDA1541? :)

Hello George, nice pics, nice system, looks like you will fit in just fine around here
First impressions do count and my first impression of you guys has been great. It'll take some time to get used to different peeps but I'm looking forward to contributing and having some fun. :cool:

jandl100
24-02-2010, 09:18
Ooooo - Lowthers. Now there's a Marmite Speaker if ever I heard one!

Love 'em or hate 'em - you can't ignore 'em! :lol:

Nice looking system. :)

DSJR
24-02-2010, 09:28

Marco.

Welcome George! Enjoy your times here :)

Just caught the post above. How dare you be so patronising regarding CD players Marco! My player was better than the likes of yours at the time, even though it probably isn't now as you've had so much done to it..

Bloody cheek :steam:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/CDM-22007.jpg

MartinT
24-02-2010, 10:26
Someone else is here now with a 'proper' CD player apart from Snapper, Neil and me! ;)

<cough>

Joe
24-02-2010, 12:14
What the hell is this? Do you guys work for "Changing Rooms"? Is one of you Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen?

If one of us is, it's definitely not me.

I can't be doing with a room with no books in, though. In our house there's barely a surface in any room that's not got stacks of books on it.

Alex_UK
24-02-2010, 20:57
What the hell is this? Do you guys work for "Changing Rooms"? Is one of you Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen? :ner:

More like a bunch of Carol Smiley's I reckon! ;)

Marco
24-02-2010, 21:37
Hehehehehehehehehehehe...... I is bad :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

Primalsea
24-02-2010, 22:52
Is there such as thing as a proper CD player?

Joe
24-02-2010, 22:58
Is there such as thing as a proper CD player?

Is there such a thing as an improper CD player?

Marco
24-02-2010, 23:03
Yes, it's part of the same range as the bad-mannered CD player, of course!

Marco.

Joe
24-02-2010, 23:04
Oh yes; the Sony FARK-OFF Special Edition.

Marco
24-02-2010, 23:08
Are you referring to the MKIII or MKIV model? Don't forget that the MKIV model had extra f*cking 'attitude'!!!

Marco.

Joe
24-02-2010, 23:14
This was a prototype MK I built by Sony-San himself. Look at it funny and it'd take your eyes out with its laser.

Spectral Morn
24-02-2010, 23:26
Yeah - I'm considering getting these guys (http://www.gikacoustics.co.uk/gik-242-panel-4200-each-sold-3-per-box-12600-exc-vat14490-inc-vat-1-p.asp) which don't appear to be too ugly in situ. Not crazy expensive either.

That would just mess with my mental Feng Shiu....:lol:

Thanks Dimitri. Those are my ATHW100s. Lovely sounding 'phones. They work great with the NVA headphone amp (almost tube-like SS amp - weird). I recently bought the Burson audio head amp but I'm not sure the combo is doing it for me. Very nice sounding amp but almost too clean. Looks like an eBay job in the next coupla months...:rolleyes:

Great article Neil - Would love to read the results of some shoot outs if that is ever possible. Are you "the Man" on the TDA1541? :)

First impressions do count and my first impression of you guys has been great. It'll take some time to get used to different peeps but I'm looking forward to contributing and having some fun. :cool:

What had you in mind ?

I don't know if I would describe myself as the man, on TDA1541...I like the sound of that chip set, always did and suspect I always will, and I have a few TDA 1541 CD players, but I would not say I was an expert on the technical side of things.

Regards D S D L

giorgino
25-02-2010, 01:15
If one of us is, it's definitely not me.
I can't be doing with a room with no books in, though. In our house there's barely a surface in any room that's not got stacks of books on it.

Yeah - I have a small wall in my hallway lined with books. I try to keep my living space a sparse as possible. With a small flat - it's just so easy to make the place look cluttered.

giorgino
25-02-2010, 01:17
What had you in mind ?
I don't know if I would describe myself as the man, on TDA1541...I like the sound of that chip set, always did and suspect I always will, and I have a few TDA 1541 CD players, but I would not say I was an expert on the technical side of things.
Regards D S D L

Just wondering how different they sound despite having the same chipset. Just how many TDA1541 players/DACs do you have? Any chance of pointing to the pics and player list?

Steve Toy
25-02-2010, 01:59
Measurements & A/B tests? If you're that interested – you do them.

Love it! You belong here. :)

Barry
25-02-2010, 02:03
Measurements & A/B tests? If you're that interested – you do them.

I do, how else can you compare one component with another?

Regards

giorgino
25-02-2010, 02:10
I do, how else can you compare one component with another?
Regards
If that's how you compare components, and you're happy doing it, I'm happy for you. :ner:

giorgino
25-02-2010, 02:18
Love it! You belong here. :)
Thanks! I don't quite know how some of these forum objectivists think. If I like a product it'll be REGARDLESS of how it measures. I'm not trying to sell it. So what if they're not convinced? Do I look bovvered? :ner: :ner:

giorgino
25-02-2010, 02:56
BTW - Just wanted to share my other toy... :):)

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/giorgino_photos/my-hifi/HT-51a.jpg (http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/giorgino_photos/my-hifi/HT-51.jpg)

Primalsea
25-02-2010, 08:07
Thats just how my place would look if I could make the wife and kids live in the shed.

giorgino
25-02-2010, 12:58
Thats just how my place would look if I could make the wife and kids live in the shed.
This is how my place would look *if* I had a wife (probably)
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/la/070709nochinz02.jpg

UUUURGH! :o

MartinT
26-02-2010, 07:16
Oh, that's a visual assault! I'd rather give up women...

kcc123
26-02-2010, 12:58
Oh god, no women? I rather die.

Marco
26-02-2010, 13:22
Martin, as long as she knows where the beers are in the fridge, would it matter? ;)

Marco.

giorgino
26-02-2010, 13:26
Not no women. Just no wives! ;)

This is the "Fortress of Georgitude" ;);)

MartinT
26-02-2010, 15:18

You're right. They can visit, then ;)

Jonboy
26-02-2010, 16:14
This is how my place would look *if* I had a wife (probably)
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/la/070709nochinz02.jpg

UUUURGH! :o

You've seen my kath Kidston inspired caravan then, can you spot the Harry Hill Knitted caracter

electric beach
08-09-2010, 16:58
Hi George

I'd be interested to hear more (or even something) about that Eddie Vaughn Carina. The user reviews are outstanding. Your comment on upgraditus remission indicates that maybe you feel the same. How did you come to this amp choice and what preceded it? Did you order it unheard? Most importantly, what do you think it delivered and contributed to your "system"?

bacobits
09-09-2010, 16:23
Hi George,
I just noticed you here.
You have changed a lot of things since "Decware" days.
Me too.

Great looking system! :clap:

Den