PDA

View Full Version : Interconnect advice please !

Gbeer7
18-02-2010, 12:27
Hi all,

What interconnect cables do you think would suit my system the best ? Got some rubbish of old things at the moment !

My system is

Kef IQ5se speakers
8000cd
8000s Amp
chord carnival silver screen cables

I was looking at Chord Cobra 3 Audio Interconnect or Chord Chameleon Silver Plus Audio Interconnect as this is what HiFix recommanded to me. (They've been pretty spot on so far !)

Thanks,

Gbeer7

webby
18-02-2010, 12:32
Mark Grant Cables. Simple.

Filterlab
18-02-2010, 12:36
Hehehe, was just typing Mark Grant as you posted Lee! :)

Graham; have a look at Mark Grant's website (http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=43_1), he sells excellent interconnects for a decent price. I have a spare set of the astonishingly good Canare LV-61S (http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_1&products_id=51&zenid=87f441bsvtotfl7j8070bb5ka1) cables handy, you're welcome to borrow them if you want to give them a try before buying. Saying that they're exceptionally cheap anyway, and will happily destroy cables many times the price.

Spectral Morn
18-02-2010, 12:38
Hi moved here as this is the section for cable chats/advice.

Regards D S D L

Gbeer7
18-02-2010, 12:38
Cheers guys. So not the chord route ? My speaker cables are chord, thought it would all help to match them.

Gbeer7
18-02-2010, 12:39
No worries with the move. Sorry new and learning...:doh:

Filterlab
18-02-2010, 12:41
The Chord range is certainly good, but the same quality or better can often be had for less. Try the Canare cables, if they're what you want then go for those, if not then try some others.

Personally I wouldn't necessarily strive to match cable brands all round, I'd go for whatever sounds the best to my ears.

No worries with the move. Sorry new and learning...:doh:
Don't worry mate, you'll soon get used to where everything is. :)

Spectral Morn
18-02-2010, 12:43
**EDIT**

Ooops, sorry Neil. I just edited this post instead of quoting from it! Daft old arse I am! :doh: I can't remember what you wrote now! (Rob)

Gbeer7
18-02-2010, 12:45
Cheers guys ! :)

webby
18-02-2010, 12:55
I got the MG cables and I'm happy with them. You could go on forever trying different cables and spend a fortune.

My system is very similar to yours too so I'm sure they'll fit in quite nicely.

Spectral Morn
18-02-2010, 12:56
**EDIT**

Ooops, sorry Neil. I just edited this post instead of quoting from it! Daft old arse I am! :doh: I can't remember what you wrote now! (Rob)

Thats okay Rob..like Lee you will get the hang of it ;):lol::lol::lol::lol:

It was basically that he would get the hang of it. Just look at the names of the separate forums..what goes into them...and that myself, you or any of the rest of the team are always happy to help and Lee should ask if he needs help.

I know what you mrean I hit Edit sometimes instead of quote too...:lol:

Regards D S D L

webby
18-02-2010, 12:57
Sorry, I should ask if I need help? I'm confused.

Gbeer7
18-02-2010, 12:58
Cheers Webby ! Quite interesting to speak to people with similar kit. Not added a power amp to your 8000s yet ?:)

Filterlab
18-02-2010, 13:00

LOL! Nothing to worry about Lee. I accidentally edited Neil's post instead of quoting it - it's all gone a bit Pete Tong mate. :doh: He now thinks Graham is called Lee!

What you're saying Lee is spot on, and your system is similar to Graham's so the MG cables should work nicely.

Spectral Morn
18-02-2010, 13:01

Gbeer is new here...I was just saying if he needs help with anything forum related he should ask for it. This applies to everyone as well of course.:)

Regards D S D L

Filterlab
18-02-2010, 13:01
Gbeer is new here...

He is, but you called him Lee and his name is Graham. :) That confused Lee (Webby) a bit.

Spectral Morn
18-02-2010, 13:02
LOL! Nothing to worry about Lee. I accidentally edited Neil's post instead of quoting it - it's all gone a bit Pete Tong mate. :doh: He now thinks Graham is called Lee!

What you're saying Lee is spot on, and your system is similar to Graham's so the MG cables should work nicely.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: indeed Pete Tong ;)

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
18-02-2010, 13:04
He is, but you called him Lee and his name is Graham. :) That confused Lee (Webby) a bit.

Hi Rob

Not to worry I didn't know Gbeer was Graham. He didn't put his name in his welcome post you used the name Lee and I assumed Graham was Lee... :doh::lol::lol::lol::lol:

We will get there in the end.

Regards D S D L

Filterlab
18-02-2010, 13:05
HAHAHAHA! This is a great thread so far mate, let's keep the humourous miscommunication going a bit longer! :D

Spectral Morn
18-02-2010, 13:08
HAHAHAHA! This is a great thread so far mate, let's keep the humourous miscommunication going a bit longer! :D

We could, but it would be crapping over Le...sorry Graham's thread.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Has it started snowing over there yet ? (Look out Thread drift);):lol:

Regards D S D L

Filterlab
18-02-2010, 13:09
Has it started snowing over there yet ? (Look out Thread drift)

Surely that would be Snow drift? ;)

Spectral Morn
18-02-2010, 13:12
Surely that would be Snow drift? ;)
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: indeed.

I can picture a man in military uniform walking across the screen now, and complaining "This is silly, very silly...stop this now and get back on track" Voice over "And now for something completely different" Monty Python.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
18-02-2010, 13:19
I spent my meagre funds on MG cables and rate them highly, but if you want something cheap but well made, try SoundStable on ebay. he uses a good basic pro-patch cable by van damme which is honest and inexpensive, together with neutric's basic plugs which I use myself. For £13.50 for a 1m pair you cannot go wrong.

I also think the ready made cables by Action hardware are good too, although I haven't tried these..

Of the retail cables, Chord do make a good range and Audiolab liked them. When I was selling Huntingdon made Audiolab, I used Chord's Chameleon to advantage, which is now in a mk3 I believe.

Trouble is today, small interconnect manufacturers can now sell directly to retail customers, so the standard Mark Grants at £22 would be equivalent to the chameleon if they were properly packaged and sold to dealers, who need to make more than 50 - 60% margin on them..........

webby
18-02-2010, 15:18
I think that Lee makes a good point.

webby
18-02-2010, 15:19
Cheers Webby ! Quite interesting to speak to people with similar kit. Not added a power amp to your 8000s yet ?:)

Nope. Maybe one day. Any views on that?

DSJR
18-02-2010, 15:26
8000PX or 8000MX, if it's an original one, NOT the old standard 8000P or 8000M. the PX and MX ones were direct coupled designs with a leaner presentation. The 8000S was their first amp to use this layout...

webby
18-02-2010, 15:34
Hmmm, I was thinking the 8000p.

Gbeer7
18-02-2010, 16:57
I was as well Lee.....

DSJR
18-02-2010, 17:40
Like I said, there was a noticable difference between the 8000P and its replacement, which Audiolab called the 8000PX... The output circuit at least was re-worked and the 8000S was the first product to use it. The power amps came later and only a few months before the sell-out to Tag.....

The 8000PX or its Tag replacement is where I'd be looking..

webby
18-02-2010, 17:49
Note: I have the original, UK 8000S if that makes a difference.

Gbeer7
18-02-2010, 18:20
Not sure if i'm being stupid here. Is the 8000px still in production ? When you google it can't see anyone who sells it. Not even on the Audiolab site. There's an 8000ap.....:rolleyes:

Filterlab
18-02-2010, 22:50
The 8000AP is a seven channel pre-amp. The PX is long gone but they still crop up on eBay now and then.

Gbeer7
19-02-2010, 10:06
Arrr right. Cheers Rob, clears that one up !
You had an 8000p though, didn't you ?

Filterlab
19-02-2010, 11:13
I have a very modified 8000P which I use for my fronts/2 channel listening. I've got your old 8000A (currently in the modding shop) for my centre channel and a Tag McLaren 60i for the rears. Plus I have two 8000Ms also being modded at the mo. :)

webby
19-02-2010, 13:48
Modding shop? Where did you send it Rob? I haven't followed up on your PM yet, sorry.

Gbeer7
19-02-2010, 14:31
I don't really understand this modding lark. :doh: What do you get modifiled ? I'm guessing it makes a differance ?

DSJR
19-02-2010, 15:14
Original Audiolabs are a huge and largely untapped modders dream I reckon, as the basic designs were sound and ripe for "improving."

The later Audiolab amps were lightly tweaked, lightly restyled and increased in price into the Tag models. The CD player was significantly re-worked though, but whether this was an Audiolab design or done post Tag I don't know.

The current Audiolab range is supposed to be the Tag designs made into facsimiles of the Audiolab style, unless I'm very much mistaken. I don't know if they've changed any more, but the current lower prices have cheapened the brand and the cachet of the name has gone IMO. Another stupid thing about brand image.....

To conclude, I suspect the current 8000P is derived from the 8000PX design...

Filterlab
19-02-2010, 16:32
I don't really understand this modding lark. :doh: What do you get modifiled ? I'm guessing it makes a differance ?

Like modding a car, modding a hi-fi component involves changing things like capacitors, output stages, back panel connectors, internal wiring etc etc. If the right bits are changed then the results can be astonishing!

Leo, Gazjam and UV101 will be able to tell you more as they're the chaps who're into this stuff (amongst others). My Audiolab gear goes to a friend who lives up in Shropshire, he doesn't do it as a business but he knows a shed load about electronics and hi-fi. :)

Nabs
05-05-2010, 19:59
I am a fan of MG generally, helpful chap. I have not though had the opportunity to yet try his interconnects. I have been tossing up between auditioning his and the Missing links (another website that seems particularly helpful), not noticed much other in the form of comparisons than one thread suggesting MG power cables gave improvements over the ML orbit cables. Anyone any experience?