PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating Chord speaker cable upgrade

pwood
18-02-2010, 01:01
Has anyone tried Chord Odyssey biwire v Rumour v silver screen. I currently have Ecosse ES 4.45 (the one with the solid core treble multi strand bass) and Linn K400 (15yrs old).
I am using Arcam CD 73 - Kimber pbj - Onkyo 875 bi amped - Monitor audio RX6 (bought december to replace Ruark Talisman 11).

I recently tried the K400 again and find the image hangs together better,the bass being fuller more tuneful. The Ecosse stuff was good biwired but now its biamped i find the image smeared for want of a better word albeit the treble is cleaner than the K400. I wonder if the two different wires in the Ecosse is the cause of the image smear.

When demoing the RX range the dealer used Chord Rumor single wired which got me thinking the Chord range may well be to my taste. The white cable would also look better run along the skirting board albeit thats secondary. I only require 2m a side. Can anyone comment on the differences between Silver screen, Rumour, Odyssey or suggest any other cables ideally no more than £20pm . Due to placement the cables run parallel to mains cables/mains box and wonder if the Chord cable being shielded would reap benefits.

Van Damme Studio black 4 core is very tempting price wise but cant help but think its unlikely to better K400.

Steve Toy
18-02-2010, 01:19
I ran Epic Twin - the one above Odyssey and then discovered Green Home Electronics Black Mamba cable. It bettered it in all areas, notably bass timing.

One more thing: A single run of decent cable into bridging cables at the rear of your speakers from a single but decent amp is always going to outperform a relatively poorer amp x 2 through two lots of speaker cable.

Marco
18-02-2010, 01:26
Welcome to AOS, 'pwood' :)

Could you do me a favour please and pop into the welcome area and introduce yourself properly, where you're from, what your first name is, what your tastes in music are - that kind of thing.

This is the required procedure for new members joining our community.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Hypnotoad
18-02-2010, 04:16
I suggest you use Philips 14 gauge speaker cable and spend your hard earned money elsewhere where it will make a difference.

pwood
18-02-2010, 10:19
I ran Epic Twin - the one above Odyssey and then discovered Green Home Electronics Black Mamba cable. It bettered it in all areas, notably bass timing.

One more thing: A single run of decent cable into bridging cables at the rear of your speakers from a single but decent amp is always going to outperform a relatively poorer amp x 2 through two lots of speaker cable.

Never heard of the black Mamba stuff will have a look. I know one better cable is better than two lesser cables however trust me the ONKYO 875 av amp sounds a lot better bi amped hence the need for the two runs.

pwood
18-02-2010, 10:40
Welcome to AOS, 'pwood' :)

Could you do me a favour please and pop into the welcome area and introduce yourself properly, where you're from, what your first name is, what your tastes in music are - that kind of thing.

This is the required procedure for new members joining our community.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

I have done that now. Can you move this post to the Artists Palette Im still getting the hang of the forum section names.

Cheers

P

Rare Bird
18-02-2010, 13:36
Has anyone tried Chord Odyssey biwire v Rumour v silver screen.

Hi
I dropped on Chord 'Silver Screen' by accident. I was using speaker cable that cost fortune previously.Never been more happy with the new Chord.The prices is way way too low IMHO.

DSJR
18-02-2010, 13:38
Welcome..

I sold Km of Odyssey and Rumour in my time and can safely say that in mid grade systems, especially with softer toned speakers, it sounds very impressive indeed. It worked beautifully with Spendor S and Se speakers I found..

The odyssey does have its limitations though. used with larger and wide-open systems it begins to sound splattery and OTT, the VDH "Wind" as used by Marco here sounding much more expansive with significantly better bass reproduction IMO.

One thing I haven't tried, is a 6mm cable. Some of the 2mm and 4mm dumbbell types with millions of strands and clear jackets sounded a bit "smothered" to me. Van Damme make a universal range of round jacket speaker cables now featuring even better copper and you may not need any better than this to be honest.

pwood
18-02-2010, 14:41
Welcome..

I sold Km of Odyssey and Rumour in my time and can safely say that in mid grade systems, especially with softer toned speakers, it sounds very impressive indeed. It worked beautifully with Spendor S and Se speakers I found..

The odyssey does have its limitations though. used with larger and wide-open systems it begins to sound splattery and OTT, the VDH "Wind" as used by Marco here sounding much more expansive with significantly better bass reproduction IMO.

One thing I haven't tried, is a 6mm cable. Some of the 2mm and 4mm dumbbell types with millions of strands and clear jackets sounded a bit "smothered" to me. Van Damme make a universal range of round jacket speaker cables now featuring even better copper and you may not need any better than this to be honest.

Which Chord cable are you referring to or is it a general observation?

My Ecosse cable has solid core top end and multistrand bass the flimsy soft multistrand variety. The Linn stuff is kinda in between that and Naim fence wire. I totally agree with the dumbbell types you refer to being smothered or mushy sounding. I am looking for speed and image depth and unconstrained bass which is the holy grail i suppose.:rolleyes:

I tried DNM in the past but oddly found it around the same as Linn K400 despite it being the thickness of a piece of thread. Not being up on electrical engineering i found this article on DNM (http://www.dnm.co.uk/cables.html#mono) website interesting especially regards thick cables.

DSJR
18-02-2010, 15:23
Naim A5 can sound great but is expensive now.

The Ecosse cable you have may be fine you know and if your setup likes it then stay with it IMO.

Apologies, but I hate K400/K600 with a vengeance. I personally find it mechanical sounding and totally "graceless." It's ugly as heck too IMO and when you strip the insulation back, I don't think the exposed thin copper conductors particularly good quality. This may have changed now, bugt I'd rather have Van Damme 2.5mm myself.....

Just my opinions these and not shared by some regarding the K400.....

pwood
18-02-2010, 15:41
Naim A5 can sound great but is expensive now.

The Ecosse cable you have may be fine you know and if your setup likes it then stay with it IMO.

Apologies, but I hate K400/K600 with a vengeance. I personally find it mechanical sounding and totally "graceless." It's ugly as heck too IMO and when you strip the insulation back, I don't think the exposed thin copper conductors particularly good quality. This may have changed now, bugt I'd rather have Van Damme 2.5mm myself.....

Just my opinions these and not shared by some regarding the K400.....

I find the image smears more with the Ecosse which is why yesterday I tried the Linn K400 again. I agree the copper is not as bright and new looking when stripped mind you its 14 years old at least. Due to not having enough plugs A&B comparisons are not easy but bass is certainly more extended. I cant help but think the Ecosse ES4.45 was designed as a biwire cable and now I cut it and am using it Bi amped something is not gelling.

Oddly the graceless mechanical sound you mention is the main reason i went off Linn electronics and speakers after a brief Majik (first model)flirtation.

pwood
18-02-2010, 15:52
Perhaps a new thread but what are folks opinion on banana plugs. Screw, solder, crimp etc. Can anyone link to some none ebay screw types that are well made and not plated to oblivion. When you need 16 the cost mounts up.

twelvebears
18-02-2010, 16:36

I'd second Steve's comments. Swapped from Odyssey to Black Mamba and never regretted it. INSANE vfm as well. :eek:

pwood
18-02-2010, 16:55
Two runs of cable would not be popular in the looks dept with the other half. If the two cables could be combined in one sleeve then it might be a goer.

How much is a 2m pair out of interest?

hifinutt
20-02-2010, 15:00
i recently bought some install [oddy ] and used it for a while. i then shielded it using aluminium tape similare to epic and it was definately an improvement

pwood
20-02-2010, 15:18
The Linn cable has been in the system for few days now and apart from the stereo image hanging together and a tad more weight in the bass the Ecosse cable is more detailed and less prone to sibilance. So initial judgement seems correct.

Can anyone shed some light on why the central part of the image is pulled or smeared partially to the left with the Ecosse ES4.4 (http://www.ecossecables.co.uk/Tables/table_frameset6.html)5 despite it being exactly the same length when it is used biamped:scratch:. I have the multi-strand part on the unused 7.1 channel (as per Onkyo biamp instructions) the solid core using the original amp side.

pwood
22-02-2010, 19:00
No thoughts on my post above?

Has anyone tried Van Damme 4x4.0mm Bi-Wire Tour Grade Black Series Speaker Cable or its single wire equiv. At the price I am tempted to try some but have wasted time and money aplenty before:brickwall:

hifinutt
22-02-2010, 22:21
the van damme are well constructed but pretty low down in some ratings

http://www.hificritic.com/colloms/Cables_S.aspx

Kris
22-02-2010, 23:20
the van damme are well constructed but pretty low down in some ratings

http://www.hificritic.com/colloms/Cables_S.aspx

If MC doesn't rate them very well, I'd say that's a pretty good recommendation. . .

pwood
22-02-2010, 23:56
Thanks for the link hifinutt. Off now to have a read.

Mods thanks for shifting this threat to the right place.

The Grand Wazoo
23-02-2010, 00:01

Who've you been threadening? That's not tolerated here you know!

pwood
23-02-2010, 10:44
Eh! You've lost me there:scratch:. I originally posted this (my first ever thread) in the BLANK CANVAS section. I thereafter asked for it to be moved to The Artist's Palette as thats were this newbie should have posted it in the first place. Hence the thanks.

The Grand Wazoo
23-02-2010, 11:00
I refer the honourable gentleman to the reply he gave earlier...........

This is the place where you give a little chuckle & say: "My word, that Wazoo fella..... he's really really funny...........and clever too........."

Themis
23-02-2010, 13:09
:lol: :lol:

pwood
23-02-2010, 13:33
I refer the honourable gentleman to the reply he gave earlier...........

This is the place where you give a little chuckle & say: "My word, that Wazoo fella..... he's really really funny...........and clever too........."

:lolsign:

pwood
02-03-2010, 14:22
After a play around with my system I discovered it sounded better not bi-amped (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5546) .

I have ordered a set of Sterling Black Mamba cables from Dave. I cant help but feel my system likes copper and lots of it so 2.5mm of Chord cable just did not seem a wise thing to blow money on as unlike the Sterling Cables I would be stuck with them if they did not suit.

Dave once I have had them running in my system for a while I'll add my thoughts on how they sound.

Alex_UK
02-03-2010, 20:34
Hi Paul - which "Dave" - just so we're clear - there's too many of the buggers on this forum to make an educated guess! :eyebrows:

PS - love you all, Daves! ;)

pwood
02-03-2010, 22:47
Dave (http://www.usedhifishop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=589&zenid=73tplpanm6ntgn6utb8i8hf0s6) greenhomeelectronics.

Alex_UK
02-03-2010, 23:47
thanks!

The Grand Wazoo
02-03-2010, 23:49
By all accounts, these are really very good speaker cables.
Dave is a great guy to deal with (I know from personal experience).

Sounds like you've made some good choices there!