PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Old Jazz Album Covers

Sherwood
01-11-2017, 12:42
Hi,

I've been asked to help with a school health project. Does anybody have any old jazz or easy listening album covers. Perhaps the vinyl got damaged or lost?

Able to pay for postage costs.

Thanks if you can help.

Geoff

rigger67
01-11-2017, 14:39
Might be easier to print the covers, assuming you have a laser printer at work ??
A3 would be perfect.
Failing that, save a load of cover images you like on a USB stick and go to the local printshop and get them to do it on A3 - cheaper than you think.

Sherwood
01-11-2017, 15:01
I believe that the educational authorities frown on copyright infringement!:nono:

Geoff

rigger67
02-11-2017, 08:21
You just summed up everything that's wrong with the western world .. FFS, it's for a school project.

I know what you mean though - I had nearly a decade working in university student unions so the depths of my PC and H&S at work knowledge know no bounds :(

Sherwood
02-11-2017, 08:48
You just summed up everything that's wrong with the western world .. FFS, it's for a school project.

I know what you mean though - I had nearly a decade working in university student unions so the depths of my PC and H&S at work knowledge know no bounds :(

It's interesting coming back to the UK after living in other countries where it is impossible to avoid copyright infringement. For example, in Dhaka in Bangladesh, it was impossible to buy a legal CD or DVD as legitimate retailers could not compete with the $1 going rate for pirated DVDs and even lower prices for CDs. Competition, was even more acute because the pirated DVDs would typically have more than one movie on them, so the latest James Bond movie, would typically have a few other Bond titles as well. On music DVDs the combinations could be somewhat bizarre (e.g. Tom Jones, Black Sabbath, and Enya on a single DVD). In the three and a half years I lived there I only managed to buy two authentic CDs and these were compositions by expats on sale in the local international clubs.

I think that it is important that artists get paid for their work and thankfully, the cost of CDs has fallen significantly in real terms since they were launched 30 odd years ago. I do wonder though how much artists get from CD sales now as compared with then and what share the record companies take. I seldom pay more than £10 for a new CD and will listen a few times on Spotify first to make sure I really like a CD before buying it. However, I do think that there should be a limit on copyright protection and 50 years seems fine to me for music. I think artwork enjoys longer copyright protection though.

Geoff

WESTLOWER
02-11-2017, 11:24
I believe that the educational authorities frown on copyright infringement!:nono:

Geoff
Very grey area copyright on this sort of original being reproduced. There is a cut off point where the licence runs out (something like 50 years)
Anyway I doubt it would be a problem at all on a project like this.

Sherwood
02-11-2017, 11:34
Very grey area copyright on this sort of original being reproduced. There is a cut off point where the licence runs out (something like 50 years)
Anyway I doubt it would be a problem at all on a project like this.

=======================

Recent legislation has actually increased the copyright protection period from 50 years to 70 years! Bloody Cliff Richard!:wheniwasaboy:

WESTLOWER
02-11-2017, 12:02
=======================

Recent legislation has actually increased the copyright protection period from 50 years to 70 years! Bloody Cliff Richard!:wheniwasaboy:

Bastard!!

Sherwood
02-11-2017, 12:07
Bastard!!

Surely you meant batchelor! :eyebrows:

WESTLOWER
02-11-2017, 13:27
Surely you meant batchelor! :eyebrows:

Bastard batchelor!

Len Co
03-11-2017, 08:23
I feel I must point out that Sir Cliff was one hot property in the 50s and did a lot to aid the progression of the music industry.

struth
03-11-2017, 08:26
bastard batchelor!

rich bastard batchelor!

Sherwood
03-11-2017, 08:56
I feel I must point out that Sir Cliff was one hot property in the 50s and did a lot to aid the progression of the music industry.

Perhaps but what path did he lead it down. Elvis wannabe stage act and cheesy movies! Admittedly he had a good voice but no charisma!

Geoff

Len Co
03-11-2017, 10:46
I'm not sure charisma was a factor in those days Geoff, artists didn't get the sort of exposure that they do now. As I recall he was one of the earliest British acts to put/keep the UK on the map and clearly one of the longest lived.
I'm not a fan but give him his due.

Sherwood
03-11-2017, 11:11
I'm not sure charisma was a factor in those days Geoff, artists didn't get the sort of exposure that they do now. As I recall he was one of the earliest British acts to put/keep the UK on the map and clearly one of the longest lived.
I'm not a fan but give him his due.

I thought I did: I agree he had a good voice. However, he was not an innovator like Presley and he was soon positioned to be a non-threatening middle of the road performer peddling nonsense like "batchelor boy" and "summer holiday". It might have been interesting to see how his career would have developed if he had stuck with rock and roll.

Cliff was one a stable of largely forgettable pretty boys groomed for stardom by Larry Parnes, the Simon Cowell/Louis Walsh of his day. The formula was crude: pretty boy, memorable "butch" name, and bland hummable tunes. Of the other credible musicians to emerge from this stable (e.g. Billy Fury and Georgie Fame) Joe Brown famously refused to change his name to Elmer Twitch. I don't think many of the British acts to emerge in the 60's would cite (the Shadow less) Cliff as an influence.

Geoff

Len Co
03-11-2017, 13:13
Okay, I surrender, should have known better than to enter a Cliff-bashing session ....... by the way, everyone over 50 please form an orderly queue to surrender your copyrights, I'm sure you can't wait.
Apologies for taking this thread off-topic a little (but I didn't start it).

Please refer to and bear in mind the OPs request.

Sherwood
03-11-2017, 13:48
Okay, I surrender, should have known better than to enter a Cliff-bashing session ....... by the way, everyone over 50 please form an orderly queue to surrender your copyrights, I'm sure you can't wait.
Apologies for taking this thread off-topic a little (but I didn't start it).

Please refer to and bear in mind the OPs request.

Mark,

one man's meat is another man's poison. I wouldn't go as far as to say Cliff is poisonous, but I do find him hard to digest! Not sure how we got on to the subject from old album covers?

If I was naming Cliff based upon his musical output it would be Harry Hill!

Geoff

Len Co
03-11-2017, 15:31
Geoff, I was about 7 when Cliff did 'Move It', perhaps his finest hour, Happy Days!

**Don't forget the Jazz album sleeves folks**

Edward
03-11-2017, 15:43
I thought the Shadows were quite good - esp. Apache. :)

Oh, when I was young .... :lol:

WESTLOWER
03-11-2017, 15:53
poisonous rich bastard batchelor!

Let's get the OP some jazz covers people!
unfortunately / fortunately all my covers have vinyl in them.

Sherwood
03-11-2017, 17:01
Geoff, I was about 7 when Cliff did 'Move It', perhaps his finest hour, Happy Days!

**Don't forget the Jazz album sleeves folks**

Devil Woman was tolerable so long as Cliff didn't do the thumb dancing!

Geoff

Sherwood
05-11-2017, 19:07
Time has passed for this project so thanks anyway. I think the kids are off to buy a few old records to get the covers.

Geoff