PDA

View Full Version : Neil Young / Eric Clapton - You play what you wear

The Grand Wazoo
10-05-2008, 12:43
OK - Here's an observation I made several years ago, which I find interesting. I guess it's related to a theory Ken Kessler has expounded several times about hifi components mirroring the personality of their maker.

I was watching the film of Bob Dylan's 30th Anniverary Concert. On 'Don't think twice, it's alright' there are guitar solos by both Neil Young and Eric Clapton.
Now, the Clapton solo is powerful, controlled, clean, crisp, precise, flaw free and everything you might expect from Clapton. Then Neil Young comes tearing in a couple of verses later with a solo that's so right on the edge of uncontrollable feedback that you wonder how the hell he can get away with it. It's squalling, messy, overdriven, loud and incredibly beautiful!

Now here's the thing. These two solos within the same track are both brilliant pieces of musicianship and are so different, but reflect the two characters perfectly. Clapton is dressed in a sharp, crisp suit, looking like he's just come from a meeting with his bank manager while Young is in torn jeans & checked shirt, just back from a camping trip in the woods!!

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed similar traits with other musicians?

By the way, earlier in the album Clapton turns 'Don't think twice, it's alright' into the most inspired blues cover. However, I still think Neil Young is a genius with that Les Paul, though!

alb
10-05-2008, 15:10
Yeah, i look like i just came out of the woods, and i'll be tripping over to Dublin to watch Neil Young perform at the end of June.

Don't wear suits, never seen Clapton.:)