PDA

View Full Version : Sensai Homars' Digital Cable

Psion770
08-02-2010, 20:56
Over the last seven days I have had the pleasure of listening to some of Sensai Homers Digital Cables.
I have to admit I picked up his name from the forum and sent him a private email re the building of such..and we agreed a most reasonable price for the priviledge!
My first problem was acquiring the plugs, due to my luddite ineptitude at negotiating Ebay.
Sensai Homer again to the rescue forwarded the direct contact number of an excellent supplier Connect Audio where I spoke to a "person".Chris Cooper who was very helpful and the plugs as specified arrived the next day.
I posted the plugs on to Mike and about 5days later a very "professional" looking cable arrived.

Unlike some cables there was no direction arrow - so having heard that cables can sound different according to their orientation - emailed Mike for some "grounded" advice.

The old adage listen "some people can hear a difference" I dont know why that is, perhaps it is the way the cable is drawn during manufacture.

The cable went into the aural chain Wadia 170 Dock, Caiman used as a preamp into Quad 11 active speakers.

Considering the size of room the physical difficulties of equipment placement 'et al' I am extremley impressed with the sound, considering the speakers are placed eitherside of a 42" Plasma Screen TV on a solid oak Shaker style sideboard with the majority of the equipment stacked away hiding in the middle cupboard.!!!!
Perhaps it the height of the sideboard, the placement of the leather settee preventing standing waves...
The sound is quite amazing the bass is controlled, the images solid existing in time and space. The new cable went in - I played the bench mark tracks Everything Must Change -Quincy Jones, Moon over Bourbon Street- Sting -
Soul Meeting CD Ray Charles and Milt Jackson. Modern Jazz Quartet with with Laurindo Almeida - Fugue in A Minor and finally some Officium - Jan Garbarek.

A somewhat eclectic mix but testing - my wife said "what have you done it sounds different sweeter clearer!!! True, the space around the elements more refined, timing space and rhythmn are still there, the silences are blacker, the edges sharper but not hard almost as if youv'e used the sharpening tool on a digital imaging program - downsides a few bad recordings are shown in sharp contrast - The Caiman doesn't take many prisoners if its on the disc the DAC will dig out the detail the new cable emphasises this further - I still have work to do the .... joy of Hi Fi and the pursuit of aural excellence - mains cables, cable routing, stands and supports etc, etc.

The point - Mike Homars' digital cable is well worth the trouble and expense and represents excellent value for money Im still enjoying it and yes I've changed the original cable back and tried some other well known brands,

Sensai Homars cable will stay unless he comes up with something better... thanks Mike for your help and an excellent product.. and keep the alchemy a secret... Martyn.:)

Marco
08-02-2010, 21:00
Nice one, Martyn. I'm glad that Mikey's cable has hit the spot for you. It's far better than spending silly money on the vastly overpriced, often vastly underperforming, 'badge' varieties! :)

Marco.

Themis
09-02-2010, 07:49
Good move, Martin ! :)

Mike
09-02-2010, 12:03
Hi Martyn,

Glad you like it. :)

Let me know if you have any problems, my cables come with a lifetime guarantee!

Cheers...

newboy
12-02-2010, 13:05
It is great to be in agreement with the many converts to Mikes cables. I too have fitted his digital cable to Stans Caiman (really need to praise this as well) from my
Marantz CD17
Other items are WDPre3 to WD88 and Tri wired Pro9 TLs and I can say that there is a truly substantial positive effect from my previous unbranded cable. Sound has become clearer and opened up a lot. Unfortunately I can not be definitive as to exactly how much though I certainly will not be going back to where I was. Missus organised carpets to be cleaned resulting in a parallel exercise of improved speaker positioning and optimisation at least to my cloth ears! Lots of things yet to do to enhance sounds with this frustratingly interesting hobby.

Thanks again Mike

Newboy

Mike
12-02-2010, 14:25
No problem, Rod. Thanks for the kind words. :)

Marco
12-02-2010, 14:44
Are you making any more of these, Mike? I think you should do :)

Marco.

Mike
12-02-2010, 16:53
Are you making any more of these, Mike? I think you should do :)

Marco.

Yep,

Send me £20 and a pair of phono plugs and I'll do the rest... :)

Marco
12-02-2010, 17:09
Lol... I guess that's the info your potential clients need to know :)

Marco.

Ali Tait
12-02-2010, 17:29
He'd already posted that on the relevant thread!

Marco
12-02-2010, 17:31
Sorry, I missed that :)

Marco.

Ali Tait
12-02-2010, 17:52
:)