PDA

View Full Version : Name that Tannoy

Macca
08-02-2010, 11:45
Can someone help me out? Many years ago a friend had a pair of Tannoy speakers that I have never seen before or since. They were a three-way with 12'' bass drivers - floorstanders, about 45'' tall, 14'' wide but only about 10'' deep. From the late sixties/early seventies.

I've looked out for another pair for years with no luck. He was running them off a QUAD 303 and a QED passive pre and getting a great sound.

Anyone any ideas of a model number/name?

Barry
08-02-2010, 12:31
Can someone help me out? Many years ago a friend had a pair of Tannoy speakers that I have never seen before or since. They were a three-way with 12'' bass drivers - floorstanders, about 45'' tall, 14'' wide but only about 10'' deep. From the late sixties/early seventies.

I've looked out for another pair for years with no luck. He was running them off a QUAD 303 and a QED passive pre and getting a great sound.

Anyone any ideas of a model number/name?

A quick look at an old 1971 edition of the Hi Fi Yearbook shows nothing that fits your description (at least as far as dimensions go). Were these speakers designed for corner placement? What was the colour of grill?

I'm a bit puzzled by the description 'three-way'; I thought all Tannoy speakers of that period used the dual concentric drive unit, i.e. were all 2-way designs.

Regards

Macca
08-02-2010, 13:30
A quick look at an old 1971 edition of the Hi Fi Yearbook shows nothing that fits your description (at least as far as dimensions go). Were these speakers designed for corner placement? What was the colour of grill?

I'm a bit puzzled by the description 'three-way'; I thought all Tannoy speakers of that period used the dual concentric drive unit, i.e. were all 2-way designs.

Regards

Hi Barry

They were def a 3 -way with midrange driver. It has puzzled me for years becasue all you ever see are the DC jobs as you say.

If it helps the grills were grey coloured and detachable. No port as I remember, certainly not on the front. They were not horns and not for corners.

Barry
08-02-2010, 13:49
Hi Barry

They were def a 3 -way with midrange driver. It has puzzled me for years becasue all you ever see are the DC jobs as you say.

If it helps the grills were grey coloured and detachable. No port as I remember, certainly not on the front. They were not horns and not for corners.

There is an article about Tannoy speakers in the AoS Library (Hardware). Why not have a look at some of the links quoted there. They may help you in your quest.

I'm puzzled by the use of a mid-range unit. Might it have been a modification?

Regards

The Grand Wazoo
08-02-2010, 13:52
A home-built speaker maybe, using Tannoy drivers in part?
Plenty of that sort of thing went on in the 60's/early 70's

Macca
08-02-2010, 13:57
There is an article about Tannoy speakers in the AoS Library (Hardware). Why not have a look at some of the links quoted there. They may help you in your quest.

I'm puzzled by the use of a mid-range unit. Might it have been a modification?

Regards

No, not a mod. They were in mint condition and badged so not a DIY (unless it was someone's idea of a joke).

The only other thing I can think of is that I have become confused in my dotage (this was twenty years back) and the 'speakers were QUAD, like the amp. But QUAD did not make anything like that, did they?

Anyhow, I've looked all over the web for a long time but I'll check out the library links. Cheers Barry:)

Filterlab
09-02-2010, 12:48
Were they the Tannoy Kingdom?:

http://auduo-1.com/newgoods/S-T/Tannoy/KINGDOM/001.jpg

http://www.21hifi.com/dch/tannoy/Kingdom%2015.jpg

...or the Tannoy Prestige?:

https://shop.strato.com/WebRoot/StoreIT/Shops/61574109/47B2/CDF9/A5ED/6E95/8038/C0A8/28BA/2E77/tannoy_0020_kingdom_0020_12.jpg

Here's a link to the range PDF: Tannoy Kingdom (http://www.tannoy.com/products/270/Brochure.pdf). They seem to be around the right dimensions. The speaker range is not old, but the visual styling would certainly point to that period.

Alex_UK
09-02-2010, 20:08
good call Rob... Come on Martin, the suspense is killing me! ;)

Filterlab
09-02-2010, 20:11
The Kingdoms do look rather nice, and they're the only three-way looking Tannoys I can think of.

goraman
21-03-2010, 16:43
A pair of cheap Fisher speakrs with Tannoy badges would be my guess.

I saw people do crap like that during the 70's as corvetts and hifi was all about impressing drunk girls who didn't know the differance.

Same guy's who would ware Angel Flight pants with a rolled sock down the front of there pants.
And rent a Vett for the weekend at Hertz rent -a- car.
And thicken there wallet with 1's.and don't forget the Mexican Rolex!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-FISHER-SPEAKERS-MODEL_W0QQitemZ390111645523QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpea kers_Subwoofers?hash=item5ad4774f53
This might be your 1970's Tannoy.

Macca
21-03-2010, 17:55
Thanks for the suggestions folks.

But the answers are no, no and no!

The Kingdom is not unlike the 'speakers I am thinking of but they predate that particular styling period and there was no dual-concentric driver.

Re-badged Fisher? Nice idea but nothing like the photograph. He inherited them off his dad who was a proper Quad 'pipe and slippers' man. No socks down underpants there...

And hey! What's wrong with a Mexican Rolex? (providing it's 'diamond encrusted' of course;)

spendorman
05-03-2011, 21:12
Celestion Ditton 44's with Tannoy badges?

Rare Bird
07-03-2011, 10:46

No 3 way Tannoys from that era