PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story

Audio Al
27-08-2017, 17:07
Just watched TS 2 again

I am a big kid , I really enjoy these films :D

Macca
27-08-2017, 18:35
I like them too even though I don't usually like that sort of thing. They are very well done.

Marco
28-08-2017, 07:36
Indeed, plus the sound and visual effects are great, reproduced through a good home-cinema system! :)

Marco.

hifi_dave
07-10-2017, 12:08
Big kid me. I really enjoy many of the 'kiddies' films - Toy story, Frozen, Moana, Rio, Captain Underpants, Beauty and the Beast etc, etc.

I'm not one for black and white films with subtitles or anything which stresses me out.

fatmarley
07-10-2017, 19:51
Watched loads with my son. Toy story Is good, but my favourites are Megamind, Monsters vs Aliens, big Hero 6 and Astro Boy.

rigger67
12-10-2017, 14:22
I cried during the third one when it looked like they were all going down that big crusher thing :(

Mind you, I blubbed like a baby when Ariel got married in The Little Mermaid too.
And when little Elizabeth got locked in a trunk in an abandoned shack in The Waltons.

Doesn't take much for me when I'm involved in a movie or TV show - just a sudden burst of strings can set me off :dummy:

Barry
12-10-2017, 18:37
I cried during the third one when it looked like they were all going down that big crusher thing :(

Mind you, I blubbed like a baby when Ariel got married in The Little Mermaid too.
And when little Elizabeth got locked in a trunk in an abandoned shack in The Waltons.

Doesn't take much for me when I'm involved in a movie or TV show - just a sudden burst of strings can set me off :dummy:

You must have been devastated when Bambi's mother was shot.

rigger67
12-10-2017, 18:42
You must have be devistated when Bambi's mother was shot.

I've avoided that movie my entire life.

Fact.

Lerxst
12-10-2017, 20:23
They are extremely good in pretty much every way. The amount of work that goes into each film is mind-boggling. I watched the directors commentary on The Incredibles (not quite the same kind of animation as TS) but they mentioned a 5 minute scene with complicated facial expressions taking months to get right

Marco
13-10-2017, 07:38
Big kid me. I really enjoy many of the 'kiddies' films - Toy story, Frozen, Moana, Rio, Captain Underpants, Beauty and the Beast etc, etc.

Me too, but not so much the modern variety. I've not even heard of the ones in bold... Toy Story is one of the few exceptions, and for me that's mainly because of the superb technical [visual] effects and standards of animation.

Otherwise, give me originals such as 101 Dalmatians, Dumbo, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Cinderella, Mary Poppins, etc [anything from Walt Disney, especially], any day, where the standard of acting and story lines were generally superior to that found in today's childrens films...

Cartoons also come into that category, as absolutely *nothing* produced today touches classics such as Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Woody Woodpecker, Daffy Duck, Roadrunner, etc... I could watch that stuff for hours! :)

Marco.

struth
13-10-2017, 07:43
Ice age..(first3) best of the best:D

Marco
13-10-2017, 07:46
Haven't seen any of them, lol...

I find most of that stuff rather banal. I'm more into action adventures, thrillers, gangster films, sci-fi, black comedies, etc. Like you though, I also love classic war films and westerns :)

Marco.

Zoidburg
13-10-2017, 07:56

I thought I was the only one who cried at the end of TS3! I have to say I think all of them are very well done indeed.

Marco
13-10-2017, 08:41
You must have been devastated when Bambi's mother was shot.

Not as much as he was when Sue Ellen did it to JR...

Marco.

struth
13-10-2017, 08:44
Haven't seen any of them, lol...

I find most of that stuff rather banal. I'm more into action adventures, thrillers, sci-fi, black comedies, etc. Like you though, I also love classic war films and westerns :)

Marco.

dunno what your missing :) great fun

Marco
13-10-2017, 08:51
Lol... "Fun" is a rather subjective thing! Having said that, I wouldn't comment conclusively on the matter, until I'd actually watched one of them.

Marco.

walpurgis
13-10-2017, 08:56
This would likely be more your kind of movie Marco. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102820/ It's very good! :)

Marco
13-10-2017, 09:07
Lol - possibly, but we're discussing children's films. Like I said, I can watch a lot of the old stuff for hours, but some of the modern variety I just find a bit *too* silly/childish... Therefore, what some folk are laughing out loud at, and consider as "great fun", often leaves me cold.

It's rather like it is with Dr Who (old vs. new), which I've discussed here many times. The old Dr Whos were children's programmes, also made for adults, which still makes them enjoyable for me today, whereas the new series is very much geared towards kids.

And that's generally what I find with today's children's films, in comparison with the old stuff I've mentioned :)

Marco.

walpurgis
13-10-2017, 09:16
The only 'kids' movie I've seen in the last few years that I thought was good, was The Maze Runner. It has some parallels to Lord of The Flies (which wasn't exactly a kids movie).

struth
13-10-2017, 09:16
like things like the simpsons ice age is made more for adults, but kids enjoy it too. the adult stuff kinda goes over their head. My son-in-law also thinks they are great and he is a sopranos man

Macca
13-10-2017, 09:19
I thought I was the only one who cried at the end of TS3! I have to say I think all of them are very well done indeed.

Must admit even a heartless bastard like me was moved by the ending of TS3. Thought I was being a bit daft but shows you how well it is done. Can't really imagine shedding tears over a film though. Bunch of softees ;)

rigger67
13-10-2017, 09:34
Another great movie is A Monster Calls.

Seriously moving and beautifully realised.

Marco
13-10-2017, 09:43
like things like the simpsons ice age is made more for adults, but kids enjoy it too. the adult stuff kinda goes over their head. My son-in-law also thinks they are great and he is a sopranos man

As ever Grant, each to his or her own. The Simpsons, for example, drives me up the wall!! :rolleyes:

I think much of one's appreciation of today's children's films, especially stuff such as Frozen, is if you've got kids or grandkids yourself, and so much of the fun derived from the experience comes from *them* having fun [their joy], and subsequently your interaction with them and participation in the whole experience :)

Without that, you're not likely to 'get it' the same.

Marco.

struth
13-10-2017, 10:14
As ever Grant, each to his or her own. The Simpsons, for example, drives me up the wall!! :rolleyes:

I think much of one's appreciation of today's children's films, especially stuff such as Frozen, is if you've got kids or grandkids yourself, and so much of the fun derived from the experience comes from *them* having fun [their joy], and subsequently your interaction with them and participation in the whole experience :)

Without that, you're not likely to 'get it' the same.

Marco.

Na, I only watch myself. Dont want it spoilt by kids:eyebrows:

Marco
13-10-2017, 10:56
Lol... Is that usually before or after watching 'Debbie Does Dallas'? ;)

Marco.

Barry
13-10-2017, 11:19

I didn't cry but I did have a "lower lip wobble". The Toy Story series was excellent: I was especially moved by the comment from 'Stinky Pete' (in TS2) who raises the ultimate horror for a toy: that of spending eternity in a land fill. Made me feel guilty about all my childhood toys that must be sharing the same fate.

Martin, I find, as I get older I can easily well up watching emotive scenes, be they happy or sad. For example it could be “It’s a Wonderful Life” (sloppily sentimental), or “Twelve Years a Slave” (shockingly historical brutal realism), or “Rabbit Proof Fence” (also shocking).

struth
13-10-2017, 11:33
I didn't cry but I did have a "lower lip wobble". The Toy Story series was excellent: I was especially moved by the comment from 'Stinky Pete' (in TS2) who raises the ultimate horror for a toy: that of spending eternity in a land fill. Made me feel guilty about all my childhood toys that must be sharing the same fate.

Martin, I find, as I get older I can easily well up watching emotive scenes, be they happy or sad. For example it could be “It’s a Wonderful Life” (sloppily sentimental), or “Twelve Years a Slave” (shockingly historical brutal realism), or “Rabbit Proof Fence” (also shocking).

End of Ice age 1 is like that too. Its probably the best story although graphics were not as good.

Lerxst
13-10-2017, 11:43
Graphics are no where near any of those films but The Iron Giant gets me going at the end.

Macca
13-10-2017, 12:14

Watched that 'Twelve Years A Slave' the other night. Was not at any point close to 'welling up'.

The only thing that does that to me, and I've no real idea why, is that scene in 'A Bridge Too Far' where the German envoy asks the surrounded paratroopers to surrender and the bloke deliberately misunderstands him and tells him they can't accept a German surrender because they haven't got the facilities to take them all prisoner. And that didn't even happen in reality.

Macca
13-10-2017, 12:15
Oh and that bit in 'Zulu' where they sing 'Men Of Harlech'

That never happened either.

rigger67
13-10-2017, 12:22
Back Beat got me ..

Macca
13-10-2017, 12:45
What, the Stuart Sutcliffe thing?

Barry
13-10-2017, 21:11
Watched that 'Twelve Years A Slave' the other night. Was not at any point close to 'welling up'.

The only thing that does that to me, and I've no real idea why, is that scene in 'A Bridge Too Far' where the German envoy asks the surrounded paratroopers to surrender and the bloke deliberately misunderstands him and tells him they can't accept a German surrender because they haven't got the facilities to take them all prisoner. And that didn't even happen in reality.

You're a tough nut Martin: you didn't flich or felt upset with the explicit depiction of the whipping of the young girl?

Macca
14-10-2017, 06:44
You're a tough nut Martin: you didn't flich or felt upset with the explicit depiction of the whipping of the young girl?

I find it impossible to forget I am watching actors on a set. If it were to happen in real life and I was present then it would be a different matter.

rigger67
15-10-2017, 18:03
What, the Stuart Sutcliffe thing?

Yeah.
Hits me every time :(

Minstrel SE
02-11-2017, 23:30
I agree with Marco that I could only get anything out of these Disney Pixar style films by seeing the kids and grandkids enjoying it in a family environment.

I do like South Park and Family Guy but no grown man should be watching Toy Story :D

Audio Al
03-11-2017, 13:45
I agree with Marco that I could only get anything out of these Disney Pixar style films by seeing the kids and grandkids enjoying it in a family environment.

I do like South Park and Family Guy but no grown man should be watching Toy Story :D

:upyours::booty::D

Marco
25-11-2017, 13:10

For me, that's the only real way to derive genuine enjoyment from them.

I do like South Park and Family Guy...

Now that's unfortunately where we 'part company'... I can't stand either!!

Marco.

struth
25-11-2017, 13:14
never liked the toy story type of film. I do like the first 3 ice age films tho..

narabdela
25-11-2017, 13:20
Now that's unfortunately where we 'part company'... I can't stand either!!

Marco.

Join the club! They both leave me completely cold.

Marco
25-11-2017, 13:37
Lol, indeed. I'm just not into many forms of American humour - and the mundane cartoon nature of it, for me, simply adds to its overall banality.

Marco.

Minstrel SE
28-11-2017, 17:07
Join the club! They both leave me completely cold.

Well they are adult orientated cartoons and cleverly written. Matt and Trey really pushed boundaries with South Park and it is quite deep really. I can understand they may have a marmite effect and its really for hipsters up to my age :D

I dont go mad on them and my days of buying boxsets are over. Im completely bored of The Simpsons and was never really into it. I think its actually run on far too long and should have been ended years ago.

I think we all have to keep in touch with our inner child somehow.

Do you and Marco still like watching Felix the Cat and Popeye? :D

fatmarley
28-11-2017, 18:19
Can't stand South Park, Family Guy, American Dad and all similar programs but for some strange reason I thoroughly enjoyed watching Regular Show with my son. I think a big part of It was all the 80s references and the cool synthesized music.

narabdela
28-11-2017, 18:54
Do you and Marco still like watching Felix the Cat and Popeye? :D

No, but I am partial to a bit of Tweety and Sylvester, Foghorn Leghorn, and my favourite cartoon character, Droopy. :yay: