PDA

View Full Version : Be It Ever So Humble

mwheelerk
29-01-2010, 06:42
Cambridge Audio 840A v2 Integrated Amp, Apple TV, Cambridge Audio DacMagic, Magnepan MMG Speakers, Kimber Optical Digital, Kimber Hero Interonnects, Kimber 8TC Speaker Cable, IsoTek Mains Cable, PS Audio Quintet Power Condition. Sounds good to me.

twelvebears
29-01-2010, 07:18
Cambridge Audio 840A v2 Integrated Amp, Apple TV, Cambridge Audio DacMagic, Magnepan MMG Speakers, Kimber Optical Digital, Kimber Hero Interonnects, Kimber 8TC Speaker Cable, IsoTek Mains Cable, PS Audio Quintet Power Condition. Sounds good to me.

Here there, nicely set-up system. Love the speakers. :-) Oh and welcome to AOS!

Just to say a big hello and get introduced to the regulars and before one of our friendly Mods give you a nudge, could you post a little introduction in the Welcome Thread area. Just a little bit about yourself and what sort of music you're into would be great.

Oh and what's you name by the way?

All the best.

DSJR
29-01-2010, 08:09
Welcome. You almost certainly have the last laugh as in theory, your amp is the best of all of ours. Just don't tell Marco though :D

chris@panteg
29-01-2010, 10:35
Welcome

840a is a nice amp ' i have the 740a its rather good , they punch above there weight for sure .

Themis
29-01-2010, 10:50
Welcome to AoS. :)

Best amp, I don't know (I haven't listen to all of them), but kudos to Doug Self (and the CA team) who really did a very creative (and rewarding) work with this amp. ;)

Nick
29-01-2010, 11:32
Welcome :)

Nice system you have there. I have fond memories of a home audition of some Magnepan SMGa speakers some years ago.

DSJR
29-01-2010, 12:34
Seriously, take an 840A mk2, dress it better and significantly refine the display ergonomics and it could sell for £5K with a cachet-name on the front.

Not necessarily to everyone's cup of tea on here (it doesn't glow warmly inside :)), but IMO a real achievement..

By the way, I was asked by a couple of people on here why AVI stopped making their highly regarded separates. These Cambridge amps were one of the key factors, as well as a desire to develop a new niche....

Beechwoods
29-01-2010, 20:41
Welcome, M... I like the look of those speakers :) Do tell us some more, like your name :eyebrows: 'M' sounds almost Bond-like, don't you think :lol:

Alex_UK
29-01-2010, 20:49
Welcome, the system looks good - I hope you get stuck in on the forum, let us also know where you are based and what sort of music you are in to.

Jonboy
29-01-2010, 21:12
Hello M, i do like your ribbons, do they give a good sound stage like apogees?

The Vinyl Adventure
29-01-2010, 21:36
im not one to be taken in be marketing that frequently but i do find all of this page quite interesting http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG...

Jonboy
29-01-2010, 22:24
im not one to be taken in be marketing that frequently but i do find all of this page quite interesting http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG...

I had a look at that page earlier Hamish and can't believe how cheap they are, not good for valve amps though unless you have a bigun;)

The Vinyl Adventure
29-01-2010, 23:17
"cheep"? you obviously havent worked in sales "not very expensive" or "good value" ... :)..
anyway, sorry, beer...
thats what i thought, but i dont really know enough about speakers to comment. all speaker that look like that that i have seen before are well in to the thousands though...

mwheelerk
30-01-2010, 13:53
Hello M, i do like your ribbons, do they give a good sound stage like apogees?

Thanks for all the welcomes!

The soundstage is quite stunning. Pinpoint imaging but a 3D soundstage of height, width and depth. Really places instruments well on the soundstage but every now and them sounds seem almost holigraphic. The Maganepan MMG are new for me and I am very excited with my first effort with planar speakers.

mwheelerk
30-01-2010, 13:56

It is a serious good deal with a 100% satisfaction policy. The price of these speakers is ridiculously inexpensive when you consider the sound quality returned for the investment outlay. Additionally if you want to upgrade to another level of Magnepan they offer a full credit policy but I believe for that you must work with a dealer. Only the MMG and variations used for home theater are available direct from Magnepan. All other models are dealer based sales.

mwheelerk
30-01-2010, 13:58
I had a look at that page earlier Hamish and can't believe how cheap they are, not good for valve amps though unless you have a bigun;)

The 4 Ohm load and relative inefficiency of 86db does require some current.

Gazjam
30-01-2010, 17:33
Hey Mike,

those speakers have got me VERY interested...
Look fantastic.

how are they for bass....are they "full range" enough?

Cheers
Gary.

The Vinyl Adventure
30-01-2010, 17:42
How did you get hold of them then? Straight from the manufacturer?

DSJR
30-01-2010, 17:53
The maggies I remember could sound amazing, but they all needed POWER!!! How much you could give them resulted in a larger or smaller soundstage being generated. Get 'em right and they're lovely...

Jonboy
30-01-2010, 18:07
I have listened to Apogee Divas with 500 watt mono's running them and of course my stacked 57's with a variety of amps running them the sound stage is vast, but as with most panel speakers the bass is not gut wrenching piston powered, it's hard to describe it :scratch:

mwheelerk
30-01-2010, 23:19
different views not sure why the images are so small

Rare Bird
31-01-2010, 03:00
different views not sure why the images are so small

Hi Mark
What model is that LG TV of yours?

mwheelerk
31-01-2010, 06:08
Hey Mike,

those speakers have got me VERY interested...
Look fantastic.

how are they for bass....are they "full range" enough?

Cheers
Gary.

That is really going to be a personal taste issue. The only go down to about 50Hz so they are not going to thump, thump. But, tight and precise bass is very present. I have run systems with a subwoofer for 15 years the most recent being Focal Chorus 807V with an REL Q150e. There is a difference in bass but what they may lack in that area is more than made up in other areas of sound. They are quite remarkable really.

mwheelerk
31-01-2010, 06:12
How did you get hold of them then? Straight from the manufacturer?

Yes. You can purchase direct from the manufacturer. In fact this model is only available direct. The one oddity in ordering these is that it cannot be done online. You have to call the company and place the order. There are options on the wood trim ( a 3/4" strip runs the length of each side) and the fabric color that covers the planar. I chose black wood with grey fabric. I think for this series there are only two wood choice, black and maybe an oak (or some lighter wood like that) and the fabrics are grey, black, beige and white. There website is not the strongest but there speakers are.

mwheelerk
31-01-2010, 06:15
The maggies I remember could sound amazing, but they all needed POWER!!! How much you could give them resulted in a larger or smaller soundstage being generated. Get 'em right and they're lovely...

I was concerned about power but many owners assured me that if my was rated to handle a 4 ohm load it would be sufficient. THe 840A v2 is rated at 200 watts at 4 ohm. I have read of some having as little as 60 watts driving them. I was surprised how easy my CA 840A v2 drove these. I expected to have to crank the volume knob and that the amp would run much warmer but not so at all.

mwheelerk
31-01-2010, 06:19
Hi Mark
What model is that LG TV of yours?

It is a less expensive one but suites my current needs. (I just moved out of the house :steam: and into a small apartment leaving behind a beautiful Samsung LED 56"). The LG Model is 42LH40.

Themis
31-01-2010, 08:11
I was surprised how easy my CA 840A v2 drove these. I guess the 840 can drive anything above 2ohms. ;)

mwheelerk
01-02-2010, 00:18
I am trying to post pictures of greater size, that will meet the parameters for posting on the site but I am ending up with small thumbnails. What am I doing wrong? How are you guys ending up with the larger images that stay under 22Kb?

The Grand Wazoo
01-02-2010, 00:21
Hey Mike,
Did you read this?
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2

mwheelerk
01-02-2010, 01:27
Hey Mike,
Did you read this?
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2

I am very appreciative that you provided that link. I have never used it before. Let's see if I can get it to work.

mwheelerk
01-02-2010, 01:35
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af227/mwheelerk/IMG_2854.jpg

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af227/mwheelerk/IMG_2855.jpg

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af227/mwheelerk/IMG_2857.jpg

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af227/mwheelerk/IMG_2860.jpg

That's Better!

But it is time for a new camera.

The Grand Wazoo
01-02-2010, 08:02
It worked!!!

Alex_UK