PDA

View Full Version : Stewart 'Lodgesound' RIP

Audio Al
22-06-2017, 13:22
It is with great sadness I have been asked by Phillip to tell everyone that Stewart sadly passed away Wednesday evening 21st June

Stewart had been battling cancer for 2 years

Anyone who new Stewart would already know what a great guy he was , Alway willing to help and educate us mear mortals , I spent some quality time with them and was amazed at their knowledge

The team had regular apperences at Scalford hall and Audio Jumble , and normally put on a show stopping display for the many visiters .

RIP Stewart mate , I will miss you :(

struth
22-06-2017, 13:25
Very sad.. I didnt know him but he seemed a friendly chap.. Hope his family manage:( rip

JohnJo
22-06-2017, 14:26
That's very sad, sorry to hear that.

Best wishes to all his friends and family.

Thanks for sharing Al.

mikeyb
22-06-2017, 15:35
Sad news, never knew him personally but I always read his posts with enthusiasm

RIP

The Black Adder
22-06-2017, 16:12
So sad... I can't believe it.

Rest in Peace, Stewart - A truly nice guy. I will really miss his posts.

Does anyone know his address so I can send my deepest sympathy? Please PM if you can help.

What a blow to his family too. My deepest thoughts are with them.

I was chatting with him regarding a reel to reel not long since, he said he had no time to fix the machine as his health wasn't great but I never knew it was Cancer.

Very sad news indeed.

R.I.P mate. x x x

http://theartofsound.net/forum/customavatars/avatar1034_1.gif

337alant
22-06-2017, 16:12
Very sad news Al
Stewart was gent and will be sadly missed

Alan

Barry
22-06-2017, 17:03
That really is very sad news.

Like others, I only knew of Stewart through his posting here. Even though tape as a source medium is no longer primary, I always found Stewart's posts interesting, informative and helpful.

My condolences to his family.

topoxforddoc
22-06-2017, 17:26
I have been phoning Stewart almost every day over the last few months and speaking to either him or his parents. I saw him last about ten days ago at his home in Surrey. We spent several hours together before he left his home for the final time to stay at his parents' house for the last days of his life. I spoke to his Mum yesterday evening, as he was slipping away.

Stewart was one of the most generous people I have known - always willing to help and give good advice. His tea making was quite good too. His work colleagues at the British Film Institute are distraught, as he was a lynchpin of their video/film archiving organisation.

He bore his last illness with great fortitude. He often called me for advice when things weren't going well - it was a way for me to give something back to him. His parents and sister have been amazing in helping Stewart through his emergency operation last year, his chemotherapy and then his recurrence earlier this year.

Whilst I am so sad to have lost a good friend, I am relieved that he is no longer suffering and in a better place now. Rest in Peace my friend.

narabdela
22-06-2017, 17:39
This is really sad news. I spent some time chatting to Stewart at Scalford a few years ago about his work on the audio side of film restoration/archiving.

He was a lovely man and a true gent.

Requiescat in Pace.

Spectral Morn
22-06-2017, 18:09
Like many I didn't know Stewart, except through his posts here and I envied folks who could chat in person with him and see/hear his gear. His legacy will live on in the hearts of those who loved him, knew him and in his words here and the equipment he set up for folks.

A sad loss to his family, friends and the audio world.

RIP Stewart :(

walpurgis
22-06-2017, 18:28
+1

Very sad news.

The Black Adder
22-06-2017, 18:53
I have been phoning Stewart almost every day over the last few months and speaking to either him or his parents. I saw him last about ten days ago at his home in Surrey. We spent several hours together before he left his home for the final time to stay at his parents' house for the last days of his life. I spoke to his Mum yesterday evening, as he was slipping away.

Stewart was one of the most generous people I have known - always willing to help and give good advice. His tea making was quite good too. His work colleagues at the British Film Institute are distraught, as he was a lynchpin of their video/film archiving organisation.

He bore his last illness with great fortitude. He often called me for advice when things weren't going well - it was a way for me to give something back to him. His parents and sister have been amazing in helping Stewart through his emergency operation last year, his chemotherapy and then his recurrence earlier this year.

Whilst I am so sad to have lost a good friend, I am relieved that he is no longer suffering and in a better place now. Rest in Peace my friend.

So sad... I'm so very upset reading this. Sorry.

Thanks for his contact details, Charlie.

topoxforddoc
22-06-2017, 19:07
So sad... I'm so very upset reading this. Sorry.

Thanks for his contact details, Charlie.

Josie,

Stewart was never one to make a fuss in public. It was a huge privilege to know him and to be able to help in a small way. I shall miss our daily chats and regular FB messages. Sometimes I felt like I was his apprentice in the studio, learning masses on a daily basis. I shall never forget him. Every time, I line up a new tape, I will be remembering what he shared with me.

Charlie

The Black Adder
22-06-2017, 19:20
Josie,

Stewart was never one to make a fuss in public. It was a huge privilege to know him and to be able to help in a small way. I shall miss our daily chats and regular FB messages. Sometimes I felt like I was his apprentice in the studio, learning masses on a daily basis. I shall never forget him. Every time, I line up a new tape, I will be remembering what he shared with me.

Charlie
That's so great to remember him like that.

Blessed be.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

Arkless Electronics
22-06-2017, 19:29
I also did not know Stewart but my condolences to his friends and family for their loss. RIP.

Cas
22-06-2017, 22:46
I also did not know Stewart but my condolences to his friends and family for their loss. RIP.

Nor me but second the sentiment.

Audio Al
23-06-2017, 03:58
I shared time with him at numerous WW shows at Scalford Hall along with his mate Philip , I think it was 2013 maybe 2014 when he was on the Vodka , every time he saw me he shouted out " Hello Dr Wells " the more he said it the more he laughed . Strange what the booze does but it was a laugh , Visited Stewarts home on several ocasions also when Philip was there as well

Good times sadly now gone :(

topoxforddoc
23-06-2017, 18:45
His memorial service will be at lunchtime next friday 30th June in Surrey. I shall pass on everyone's condolences and messages

Macca
23-06-2017, 18:54
Really sad news. Always enjoyed Stewart's posts immensely and regret not being at Scalford the times he exhibited to meet him properly and hear some of his amazing RTR collection.

RIP

Marco
23-06-2017, 21:57
This is indeed really sad news, and for me a complete shock, as I didn't even know he was ill... :(

I was fortunate to have met Stewart a few times at Scalford, where he was always most welcoming, friendly, and above all extremely knowledgeable in his areas of expertise and passion for all things tape, especially R2R, and of course recorded music.

He was such a nice guy to chat to, and would always be willing to share his knowledge and help others when he could, which made him both the consummate exhibitor, at the likes of Scalford, but also member of our community here on AoS, and so his enthusiastic and erudite contributions will be greatly missed.

We've truly lost one of the genuine good guys in our hobby. My thoughts and condolences go out to all of Stewart's friends and family at this difficult time.

Let's all celebrate how devoted Stewart was to 'the cause' by remembering the expertly assembled, unique, and superb-sounding systems he used to exhibit for our collective pleasure at Scalford:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/922/5Ia5LH.jpg

A legend gone but never forgotten. RIP and God bless, my friend.

Marco.

P.S I'm moving this thread to the main part of the form, so that more folks will see it and can pay their respects.

dantheman91
23-06-2017, 22:13
RIP Stewart i did not know you but have seen you contributions to the AOS a very well respected member...:(:( you will be missed

southall-1998
23-06-2017, 22:33
Never met Stewart, nor communicated with him. The man clearly has good taste in Hi-Fi!

RIP.

S.

337alant
24-06-2017, 07:19
This is one of Stewart's classic Youtube video's of his 1/2" Studer A820 think it deserves posting
It sound's awesome even on youtube :eyebrows:

v-jIQFtK0jQ

Alan

Audio Al
24-06-2017, 18:39
I have listened to this machine , yes it is awesome :eek: if I remember it was through Quad 405 amps into Rodgers LS5/8 :eyebrows:

jandl100
25-06-2017, 07:43
Very sad news.
The Lodgesound exhibits at Scalford were fabulous!
I had a chat with him at one show - a very friendly and knowledgeable man.
RIP.

paulf-2007
25-06-2017, 08:50
I agree with you Jerry, the lodge sound room was one of the best sounds at Scalford and Stewart will be missed. I was recently talking to him about a a r2r and he didn't let on how ill he was although I new he had been very ill. I told him not to bother with sorting out the r2r and get well, not knowing the end was so near. Very sad news indeed. Charlie convey my condolences to the family even though they don't know me

anthonyTD
25-06-2017, 09:14
Very sad to read this,:(
I had dealings with Stewart on a few occasions over the years, and always found him to be very knowledgeable, and willing to help where he could.
RIP Stewart.

topoxforddoc
02-07-2017, 21:22
I went to Stewart's Memorial Service on friday at St James Church, the private Chapel on the Titsey Estate near Oxted. The church vicar told me that it only holds about one service a year. It lies across the road from Stewart's house and it was his last wish to have his Memorial Service here. The place was packed with his friends and colleagues from the BFI - they brought a coach from Berkhamsted, where he worked.

I passed on the condolences from all at AoS to Stewart's parents. They had little idea about his contribution to audio and certainly little inkling as to his huge talents in film and film soundtrack restoration. Philip, his best friend, and I chatted for quite a while after the service and shared a supper in the pub after the wake. Stewart had a number of plans afoot when he passed, so we will try to make sure that these are fulfilled.

Spectral Morn
02-07-2017, 21:45
Sad day :(

Audio Al
04-07-2017, 12:49
Sadly I was not able to attend due to work restrictions , Pleased it was a good turn out to see Stewart off

topoxforddoc
16-08-2017, 22:08
Sadly Stewart's studio in his beloved Lodge is no more. Many of his machines have now been relocated to the BFI, where his colleagues have put small plaques on the machines and now use them in his old work place. They will be used to restore many more films, TV programmes, radio episodes and sound tracks. Some of his machines have been bequeathed to close friends and colleagues, so that they will be used by people who will treasure and value them. Hopefully some of them will reappear at Scalford in the future, so that his influence can carry on in the future.

337alant
17-08-2017, 18:10
Well his spirit lives on in his equipment and their memories of him, so glad to hear his equipment has been put to good use and can be enjoyed by others.
Thanks for the update Charlie
Alan

fatmarley
19-08-2017, 09:04
Well his spirit lives on in his equipment and their memories of him, so glad to hear his equipment has been put to good use and can be enjoyed by others.
Thanks for the update Charlie
Alan

+1

anthonyTD
19-08-2017, 09:13
Thats good to hear.:)
A...

The Black Adder
19-08-2017, 14:28
That's good to hear, thanks for the update, Charlie.

DSJR
19-08-2017, 17:44
Just popped in to find this thread. My sincerest condolences to his family and work colleagues.

I never knew the man, but enjoyed reading his posts and the odd short chat as he was from a side of the industry I'd never really immersed myself in back in the analogue days and probably should have.

How very, very sad...