PDA

View Full Version : Glossary of Key Sales Point Terms....

Lodgesound
08-05-2017, 08:16
Thought I would kick this off for some light relief..........please add as you feel is required.

Terms used by sellers of open reel decks for enhancement purposes with translations ........

Full Recap - The 5 that got changed as far as you know.
Heads have many thousands of hours left - you gave them a clean and thought they looked quite shiny
No leads or tape therefore unable to test - you don't have a clue what this machine even is do you.
Fully serviced - you dusted it with a Mr Fluffy glove and used Pledge on the really dirty bits
Used by the BBC in their studios (always a good one this) - so you worked for the BBC did you and know what their machine inventory was ?

Feel free to add your own experiences...

The Black Adder
08-05-2017, 08:24
lol...

Heads have plenty of hours left on them.... "they look shiny".
Fully lubricated.... "I just put oil on the bits I could get to without taking any panels off"
New belt...."I flipped the belt" or "I got one off flebay that may last for about a week"
Sounds superb.... "I heard some music"

topoxforddoc
08-05-2017, 10:10
"Stored for 20 years" - broke 20 years ago and languishing in store
"Mint" - not completely knackered
"Used to record xxx famous LP" - plus hundreds of other albums i.e. knackered from heavy studio life

struth
08-05-2017, 10:14
Desirable:rolleyes:

Cas
08-05-2017, 15:46
It works just as it should, when I turned it on all the lights came on.

337alant
08-05-2017, 20:56
The usual one is all the lights come and appears to be in good working order but have no tape to test it with?.

Alan

The Black Adder
15-05-2017, 15:04
Lol, yes. It works but not tested it in 20 years.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

Barry
15-05-2017, 16:29
Thought I would kick this off for some light relief..........please add as you feel is required.

Terms used by sellers of open reel decks for enhancement purposes with translations ........

Full Recap - The 5 that got changed as far as you know.
Heads have many thousands of hours left - you gave them a clean and thought they looked quite shiny
No leads or tape therefore unable to test - you don't have a clue what this machine even is do you.
Fully serviced - you dusted it with a Mr Fluffy glove and used Pledge on the really dirty bits
Used by the BBC in their studios (always a good one this) - so you worked for the BBC did you and know what their machine inventory was ?

Feel free to add your own experiences...

Slightly unfair - there are many vendors of ex-BBC gear, who I doubt have worked for the Beeb. If it was genuinely ex-BBC, it will have various stickers all over it: denoting when it was last PAT tested, the stock number, which department of the BBC used it, etc. Well everything I have which is ex-BBC has, even to the point of having the department engraved on the chassis.

Lodgesound
15-05-2017, 23:16
Absolutely right Barry - I meant that gear though without such defining provenance..