PDA

View Full Version : 38 Demo CDs free. First come, first served

Neil McCauley
02-05-2008, 14:19
I am giving away quite a few of my demo music CDs. Many of them have not be played. They are surplus to requirements. It’s too much hassle to put them on e-bay, so I’d rather give them away.

Only two per person. No exceptions!

Post free in the UK

This is for UK residents only and for economic reasons not available for non UK residents. Sorry, but I cannot make exceptions.

The music includes:

* blues
* jazz
* rock
* fusion
* indie
* dance
* trance
* grunge,
* metal
* soul
* electronic
* experimental
* acid rock and many other genres - but not, repeat NOT classical music.

There is no picking. The deal is that I choose TWO for you – and it’s pot luck what you get.

Details here: http://blog.listencarefully.co.uk/?page_id=2808

Marco
02-05-2008, 14:26
Nice one, Howard. I signed up :)

Marco.

Mike
02-05-2008, 14:37
Hi Howard,

I'm already registered, so I've tried the email alternative thats explained on your site. :)

Cheers,
Mike.

Filterlab
02-05-2008, 14:37
Nice one, Howard. I signed up :)

Marco.

Me too, nice one Howard. :)

snapper
02-05-2008, 14:42
Can never say 'no' to 'new' music,especially when it's free.

Very kind of you Howard.

:)

Steve Toy
02-05-2008, 15:25
Me too. SQ28s back I have a system to listen to them on again.

Neil McCauley
02-05-2008, 17:50
Dear all. Responses to the offer on my site plus responses from this forum mean I have just 6 pairs left to give away. Meanwhile, I wish you all a sunny and hopefully enjoyable weekend. HP

MartinT
06-05-2008, 13:20
Hi Howard
I believe it was you who sold me my beloved Pioneer PD-91 CD player all those years ago at Covent Garden Records. It gave me many years of excellent service before I upgraded it to an Audio Research deck. So anyway, a belated thanks for your time then and for selling me such an outstanding player for its time. That machine was built to last!

Filterlab
06-05-2008, 13:26
And if proof were needed that a quality dealer remains in one's mind, there it is. :)

Marco
06-05-2008, 13:34
Hey, have you nabbed the 'Pinky & Perky' CD? It was the rare 'Tin-Tin Out 1965 dub remix', too... Howard promised he was keeping it for me :(

Marco.

Filterlab
06-05-2008, 14:06
Tin-tin out in '65? I thought they were much later. I have their remix of Always something there to remind me.

Neil McCauley
06-05-2008, 14:07
Good afternoon colleagues. All 38 CDs have now been allocated and quite a few were sent today – fresh jiffy bag and second class post. The rest will go out tomorrow. Not all of them went to forum people as I was at the same time as making this offer to you all, I was doing so my blog site. Well, not a blog site exactly but a sort of bulleting board thingy. http://blog.listencarefully.co.uk/

Anyway, I got a real buzz about giving things away. And so towards the end of this month, I’ll be doing it again. Only CDs. Can’t do with equipment – although I truly wish I could. Same sort of thing as before. However I think in fairness, preference to those who’ve not already had a couple of freebie music CDs from me should be granted.

Quite a few people offered to pay UK postage and/or make a donation to charity. Very kind and most unexpected and no, I won’t hear of it. I'm touched though.

Sincerely

HP

Neil McCauley
06-05-2008, 14:15
Hey, have you nabbed the 'Pinky & Perky' CD? It was the rare 'Tin-Tin Out 1965 dub remix', too... Howard promised he was keeping it for me :(

Marco.
A true story. Many years ago, long before e-bay became the default source for buying and selling CDs and vinyl, I would from time to time insert a bogus lineage advert in amongst the dozens of legitimate albums I was trying to sell in Record Collector Magazine. The idea was that the curious and inquisitive would point the spoof line and of course the entire ad to others.

One such bogus album was “A Tribute To Hendrix” by Pinky and Perky. As it turned out, nobody had previously thought to do a such a daft thing as this. I know this because I received a phone call from the pleasant and perplexed editor who, as it turned out, was a Hendrix man through and through.

Sheepishly he told me that while he wasn’t sure if it was a spoof or not, he was sufficient intrigued to make the call – “just in case”. A nice attitude on his part, no telling off and no requirement nor request not to insert spoof ads again. Happy days, those were.

Incidentally, Record Collector Magazine is now very much more than the title would suggest. It’s a damn fine read and the interviews and reviews are easily worth the price of admission alone.

HP

Marco
06-05-2008, 14:21
Hi Howard,

Thanks again for the generous offer. I think that I can speak on behalf of everyone when I say that it is much appreciated!

As an aside, a chap called Robin (doodoos) joined us the other day and said that he found us through a link on your blog or website, and for the life of me I can't find any mention of The Art of Sound either on you blog or website :confused:

If such a link exists, could you provide a link to its whereabouts? Or even better include us on here:

http://www.stereonow.co.uk/links.html

That would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,
Marco.

Steve Toy
09-05-2008, 11:32
My three CDs came this morning. Thanks Howard :)

I got:

A test CD which will certainly be interesting.

Hits of the Beachboys - a compilation from 2002 - Tasha will snaffle this one.

Born in the USa Volume 2 - a compilation by Mojo. I'm looking forward to giving this one a spin.

Neil McCauley
09-05-2008, 12:11
My three CDs came this morning. Thanks Howard :)

I got:

A test CD which will certainly be interesting.

Hits of the Beachboys - a compilation from 2002 - Tasha will snaffle this one.

Born in the USa Volume 2 - a compilation by Mojo. I'm looking forward to giving this one a spin.
My pleasure. Really. A fine weekend to you all. Sincerely, HP.

PS

If anyone wants a copy of the free Bass Test CD, just email me at enquiries@stereonow.co.uk

With your mailing address please (surprising how many forget) and 'Want free Bass CD please' in the subject line. Those applying without the word 'please' will be ignored.

Marco
09-05-2008, 12:43
Ditto for me, Howard (although the CDs were different) so thanks a lot :)

The bass test CD should be interesting so I will report on that in due course.

Marco.

doodoos
09-05-2008, 14:17
Hi Howard,

Thanks again for the generous offer. I think that I can speak on behalf of everyone when I say that it is much appreciated!

As an aside, a chap called Robin (doodoos) joined us the other day and said that he found us through a link on your blog or website, and for the life of me I can't find any mention of The Art of Sound either on you blog or website :confused:

If such a link exists, could you provide a link to its whereabouts? Or even better include us on here:

http://www.stereonow.co.uk/links.html

That would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,
Marco.

Hello Howard -- remember me?. Wouldn't say no to a free cd myself sometime and you are righr about said forum.

snapper
10-05-2008, 10:23
Thank you very much for the discs,which arrived this morning.

Spinning Nina Nastasia & Jim White for a second time now,after giving it a clean.I think maybe honey from your morning toast may have dribbled onto it.

:lolsign:

Re. The Stereonow Test CD,being a bass freak I love it.

Thanks again for your generosity,Howard.

Filterlab
10-05-2008, 10:30
Hi Howard,

Many thanks for the fantastic discs. I will give them a spin (well, import them first) tonight and have a good listen. The bass test disc I will use once I've moved out of my flat. :)

Thanks again, very generous. :)

Filterlab
12-05-2008, 11:36
Well one of my discs was a compilation of Blues tracks from varying artists across the 50s and 60s, not my cup of tea but interesting to listen to. Now it may be my modern ears or the original recordings of the day, but music from that era always seems a little distorted to me. Not in the same way as a badly produced modern recording, but in a 'this engineer has his VU meters set wrong' type of way. Maybe it was just the quality of the time, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

My other disc was completely and utterly right up my boulevard! A mixture of synth tracks all written (bar one) by a couple of keyboard players and recorded beautifully. Some really nice chill out tracks with crystal clear drums and nice fat strings and pads - perfect. It's been on most of the weekend. ;)

I haven't tried the bass test disc yet to be honest, but I will retain it as a 'tool' (Howard's term) for when I critically listen at my next point of component purchase. Sounds very interesting and reading the inlay card seems like an excellent method for determining the difference in systems.

Anyway, thanks Howard for your kind generousity, very much appreciated. :)

Neil McCauley
12-05-2008, 12:20
Original text in this post now deleted by HP (May 13th) and used as the starter of a new and more relevant thread.

Alex D
15-05-2008, 12:10
Hey, I received this morning three CDs! Thanks very much... Haven't been able to listen to them yet, but I will when I get home! The bass test will come in handy always, the Mojo compilation (although I'm a suscriber) I didn't have and seems right up my alley! The third one I don't know what it is (David Borsu).... I'll have to google the name. I'll rummage through my few cds (have them all back in Chile unfortunately, and here in the UK I've mainly bought vinyl... This obsession is a certifiable disease!) so I can get into the "exchange ring".

Cheers!
Alex