PDA

View Full Version : Akai 4000DS prices

Martyn Miles
25-04-2017, 10:17
I bought a little used 4000DS for £75 a few months ago. Excellent machine. It replaced a well used Sony 377.
I've noticed that prices on eBay are slowly rising, even for machines that need some minor work done.
Is there a reel to reel revival, following on from cassette.

I like minidisc ( I have a prof. Tascam machine ) so is there likely to
be a revival of this recording media ?

struth
25-04-2017, 10:35
Still got my Akai 4000. They are good enough without being great. Certainly worth more than you get for them, and probably why most are stripped for parts alas

337alant
25-04-2017, 11:30
Yes I would say there is a marked interest in R2R in the last couple of years and the prices for tape decks have quadrupled this year :scratch:
I really enjoy the sound of a good R2R and a good example is capable of sounding as good as any high end turntable or digital source IMHO

Alan

Cas
25-04-2017, 12:15
I really enjoy the sound of a good R2R and a good example is capable of sounding as good as any high end turntable or digital source IMHO

Alan

Have to agree with that.

Martyn Miles
26-04-2017, 07:08
A rare black one ( as mine is ) went for over £400 (!) on eBay. It was completely unmarked, with the original box, accessories and Instruction Manual.
Mine is good, but not that good. It was bought ( in the mid '70s, I assume ) by a group who wanted to try effects for their music. The seller told me it was used for about six months and then put away. Consequently, as it wasn't in its original box, it suffered from age related slight corrosion, etc.
Mechanically, its perfect and the transport handles the tapes well with very neat winding even on FF.
Whatever it's really worth doesn't bother me, as I am keeping it.

SquireC
26-04-2017, 10:20
I have a Sony 377 that needs a new drive belt (I think) but don't know anyone who repairs them now.

I also have a Revox B77 Mk11 that I don't use at all. Needs a major service before I sell it.

I used Reel decks since the 1960's, starting with a Grundig mono to record pick of the pops. I miss using them but I have no need these days.

Cas
27-04-2017, 00:21
I have a Sony 377 that needs a new drive belt (I think) but don't know anyone who repairs them now.

I also have a Revox B77 Mk11 that I don't use at all. Needs a major service before I sell it.

I used Reel decks since the 1960's, starting with a Grundig mono to record pick of the pops. I miss using them but I have no need these days.

Need repairs servicing etc contact Steve here - https://www.vintagetech.co.uk