PDA

View Full Version : Akai GX-635D

bob4333
17-04-2017, 06:55
I'm pondering a bid on the above deck.

All reads quite well except for:-

"The tape transport uses sophisticated logic controls, but the reverse run mechanism unfortunately uses crude mechanical slider switches to switch to the reverse direction head block. These switches were never designed to work perfectly for over 25 years, so it is strongly recommended to only use the deck in the Forward mode, unless you wish to tackle the internal switch-gear with switch cleaner or similar."

The words seem a bit harsh on poor old Akai but is it likely to be a straightforward fix or would I be heading for a nightmare?

There's nothing to suggest anything else untoward in the description but obviously usual rules apply regarding the aged electronics etc.

337alant
17-04-2017, 07:39
Cleaning all Pots and Switches and sliders is something I do on all R2Rs of this age, I use Deoxit D5 as its a very good cleaner but also contains a lubricant. It is pricey though and Servisol 10 is a cheaper alternative.
It looks like the reverse direction is a 3 way rotary switch which shouldn't be difficult to fix and a spray can often be the only fix it needs ?.
So that would not put me off buying it if thats all thats wrong :eyebrows:

here is a view of the front controls of the GX635
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxr8mCyIxVc

Here is a good video of maintenance on a GX636 from Nick Adams which looks similar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx1e-gFqmx0

Alan

bob4333
17-04-2017, 15:33
Thanks for that Alan.

A very nice walk through of the mechanical issues on the second video, although I have a suspicion he makes it seem a little easier than it really is.

I'll keep my eye on the bidding and who knows..................?

337alant
17-04-2017, 18:20
Bob
Looks mint good luck ( tip dont bid at all on ebay use bidnapper and put in the highest price you are prepared to pay for it )

On that big sliding switch inside I would use Deoxit F5 fader cleaner lube

bob4333
19-04-2017, 16:45
Seven days to go and it's at £540 :eek:. So much for my thoughts up to now that all the action on ebay happens in the last 30 seconds.

I think this will go through the roof.

18 months ago they were at £400 to £600 in this condition. I've got a 350 mile round trip to pick it up and need to factor in maybe a couple of hundred quid for an electronic rebuild just in case.

Suddenly the fully reconditioned GX-635D (just back from ServiceSound) that went for £800 a year ago doesn't seem so expensive now. :doh:

I'm still in the game but starting to sweat a bit............

337alant
19-04-2017, 17:28
It looks in beautiful condition Bob so Im not surprised it has gone off the map
Alan

337alant
19-04-2017, 17:33
Bob If I can give you a bit of advice if you see a bargain on ebay don't advertise that on a Audio web site like this:rolleyes:

Alan

Audio Al
20-04-2017, 05:39
:lol::D;)

bob4333
20-04-2017, 06:06
But surely this is such an honourable forum.........:rolleyes:

Even worse, I've just looked at the price this morning.:eek::eek:

Come on then, who's bidding on my tape deck?????

struth
20-04-2017, 07:30
It's read by many online. Not just members

Lodgesound
20-04-2017, 08:57
Seriously that machine is immaculate - these things always take a while to get going but honestly that will skyrocket in price.

It has the trolley and the wear from what I can see to the heads and guides is little/nonexistent.

It is also a fully domestic machine and thus can be easily interfaced with a home HiFi system as opposed to professional studio recorders which ideally require you to have full input/output monitoring and interfacing.

I have an immaculate Philips N4520 which I may possibly part with if you are interested.

Audio Al
20-04-2017, 10:05
But surely this is such an honourable forum.........:rolleyes:

Even worse, I've just looked at the price this morning.:eek::eek:

Come on then, who's bidding on my tape deck?????

Well i suppose its time to come clean
Not me , 9 R2R is enough for me ( at the moment ) :)

bob4333
20-04-2017, 12:22
Seriously that machine is immaculate - these things always take a while to get going but honestly that will skyrocket in price.

It's certainly looking that way Stewart. Forget E Types and Aston Martins to hedge your pension fund with - this is where the money is!

I have an immaculate Philips N4520 which I may possibly part with if you are interested.

I must admit that Philips as a brand hasn't figured in my search. TEAC/Tascam BR20/AKAI GX-635D /Revox PR99 are really where I've been focusing, so the Philips N4520 is totally unknown to me.

But I've just had a quick look around the internet and it does look impressive. I've spent quite a bit of time (and not a little cash :() moving stuff around over the past year so that a suitable R2R can have somewhere safe to land. I'm in no particular rush and will wait until the player that's right for me pops up.

At first sight the N4520 looks a bit of a heavyweight (in every sense) and I need to educate myself. Whilst I reflect, if you do decide to part with it drop me a PM with the details and of course a price if you can arrive at one.

Best regards, Bob

337alant
20-04-2017, 13:27
Bob
I didnt mean there is anything wrong with TAOS members just that by discussing it you are advertising it over the internet
If you do a search in Google for and Akai 635D you will more than likely see a link to your post here so as grant says it gets seen by many people outside of this forum
I rekon it will go for over £1000 when its done
Alan

bob4333
20-04-2017, 16:03
I understand Alan - I just wanted a view on the stated issue of the "reverse run mechanism " as declared in my original post. I'm not quite sure how else I could have asked the question but maybe I need to be a little more circumspect in future.

Anyway, the thing has been sold early and certainly not to me! Presumably someone showed up with a bag of cash and seller went all weak at the knees. Good luck to them both.

My thanks for your words and the YouTube links.

Still looking. BR 20 anyone.......?

I don't even mind a bit of a drive............