PDA

View Full Version : Caimanising Beresford 7510?

daveyboy
11-01-2010, 14:14
Hi guys don't ostracise me for this, but I have just noticed that tirna electronics will upgrade the op amps and the dac to exactly the same as the Caiman.

What do you think about this? buying the Caiman just isn't an option for me right now, (money is tight!) so if this is going to give me something similar to the Caiman sound wise, then it sounds like an excellent idea.

jmowbray
12-01-2010, 14:38
Hi guys don't ostracise me for this, but I have just noticed that tirna electronics will upgrade the op amps and the dac to exactly the same as the Caiman.

What do you think about this? buying the Caiman just isn't an option for me right now, (money is tight!) so if this is going to give me something similar to the Caiman sound wise, then it sounds like an excellent idea.

From the Tirna website:

Upgrade to Caimen class”A” output configuration

The new limited edition “Caimen” DAC from Beresford has a class"A" output stage. We think this is for the headphone output but it may be on both outputs. We have been asked by several people if we have an upgrade which would take the 7510 to full Caimen spec. We cannot do this as we cannot perform an upgrade to either of the dual op-amp based circuits to make them class “A” configuration outputs. To do this would probably require a redesign of the PCB. We can only perform the Wolfson DAC chip upgrade and upgrade of the dual op-amps to better dual op-amps as detailed above. This is not the same as providing an upgrade to a class “A” output configuration. You’ll have to buy a “Caimen” to get that.

Hope this helps.

Jack

Alex_UK
12-01-2010, 18:08
Thanks for that Jack - hope you'll be sticking around - pop into the Welcome thread and introduce yourself if you can.

daveyboy
12-01-2010, 18:41
Thankyou for the responses, from further reading it looks like the Class A refers to the headphone amp. Therefore this mod is perfect for me

StanleyB
14-01-2010, 21:13
There is a Caimanized kinda version with similar inputs and outputs like the TC-7510. It's called the Caiman PLUS. I have already sold a few. If anyone needs the same types of inputs as the TC-7510, and the performance of the Caiman, PM me for an AoS members price. It sounds far superior to a modded TC-7510. I modded a TC-7510 and compared it to the Caiman PLUS. Guess which one came out on top.