PDA

View Full Version : Majik ds vs Beresford 7520

The Vinyl Adventure
10-01-2010, 23:35
It occured to me this eve that I might isolate the source of the ott treble by using a different dac
so I unplugged the copper dac and plugged in the 7520 (my caiman is in a box somewhere and I can't find it)

7520 connected with mark grant dsp 1.0, mike homars digital cable(from digi out of majik) and mark grant g1000hd
majik conected also via g1000hd

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/a5b011f2.jpg

the majik's dac, as I have said before, sounds within this system, a bit top and bottom heavy, the mids ate a bit dulled and as such make vocals sound lifeless and to far away in the soundstage

like the copper dac the 7520 has the effect of bringing life back into the mids, there is a lot more of a overall balance to the sound it even sounds a touch warmer than the majik!

It does also seem to have the effect of reducing the ott treble. So although not quite as dynamic as the copper dac, and it would be unfair to comment on the copper dac in this comparison whilst it isn't optimised to work within my system it does point the finger at the high level coming out of the copper dac as being the cause of that treble problem. Good news!

So as for the 7520 being better within this system, well I'm looking forward to finding the caiman now! The majik's dac was def better in the naim system, not by a lot but def by a bit... The 7520 is a clear winner in this system (to both mine and hannah's ears!)

leo
11-01-2010, 01:06
Its handy having a few dacs to swap around, dig out the old Caiman and see how she goes

I can't sleep so currently listening to the Sabre with headphones:)

The Vinyl Adventure
11-01-2010, 01:16
I'm thinking she might go quite well! It's odd how different that naim hifi was, I wish I had a better understanding of how and why the technolgy does what it does ... The majik is very obviously a good bit of kit, but it just isn't nearly as happy within this system as it was in the naim set up..

leo
11-01-2010, 01:30
I don't know the Majik personally tbh, just proves though the variation in results that can be had in this game

The Vinyl Adventure
11-01-2010, 09:57
Yeah bit frustrating for me though, the majik is the one bit of kit I have sworn by and always raved about on this forum and now it's being beaten by the bit of kit that brought me to the forum in the first place! It did sound better in the naim set up honest!!

The Vinyl Adventure
11-01-2010, 23:30
Listening to the copper dac again tonight, without pauls atenuators, it really is in a different league to my other dacs! There is just so much more infomation comeing through...

Stratmangler
11-01-2010, 23:35
Listening to the copper dac again tonight, without pauls atenuators, it really is in a different league to my other dacs! There is just so much more infomation comeing through...

'cos it's so much louder ?

Not having a dig Hamish, but you need to get the output level sorted before you can even think of making a comment about SQ.

I'm sure the copper DAC is a fine piece of kit, but the playing field is currently a different matter.

Chris:)

The Vinyl Adventure
11-01-2010, 23:40
Yeah, I knows what your saying, it is difficult to comment properly, that's why I keep saying about not wanting to comment etc... There is def more there though!
It's going in the post to Duncan tomo so we should know fow show soon!

Stratmangler
11-01-2010, 23:44
Good.

In the meantime have you unearthed your Caiman ?
Might serve you better than the analog outs on the DS.

The Vinyl Adventure
11-01-2010, 23:48
Nope, but just chatting to hannah and she says it's "at the old house it a box in my office with some black Nikon cameras"... They do have there uses dunt they!

Stratmangler
11-01-2010, 23:54
Nope, but just chatting to hannah and she says it's "at the old house it a box in my office with some black Nikon cameras"... They do have there uses dunt they!

FFS - mine tells me that things are "somewhere safe" - usually means that you have to buy another, 'cos you'll not see it again:lol:

You are very lucky in that respect;)

The Vinyl Adventure
12-01-2010, 00:08
Ha, yeah, maybe on this ocasion, she int always that good!

Stratmangler
12-01-2010, 00:10
Ha, yeah, maybe on this ocasion, she int always that good!

:D

Themis
12-01-2010, 14:52
Mine says "it has been put in order, in its place". And when you ask "where is its place ?", she answers "I don't know...".

It has become a kind of "family joke" : when something is lost, then "she has put it in order". :lol:

Alex_UK
12-01-2010, 18:10
Mine always puts things out of order! :doh:

The Vinyl Adventure
12-01-2010, 19:44
It's either in here

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/f8cf6bfa.jpg

or in here

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/6a833c77.jpg

wish me luck!

The Vinyl Adventure
12-01-2010, 19:47
Haha first place I looked (hannah was wrong btw) ... I rule... In packing can sod off now!

Jonboy
12-01-2010, 21:18
Perhaps if you spent more time unpacking stuff and not playing with your Hifi or posting on here, you might locate things a bit easier:lol:

The Vinyl Adventure
12-01-2010, 21:23
Na, unpacking can wait, I'm bloody knackerd anyway, I have a lot if crap, and some of it is really bloody heavy!

The Grand Wazoo
13-01-2010, 00:31
Hamish, if you're looking for that other thing - I think it's in that box over there - the cardboard one...........no, not that one.........the brown one........over there!

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/9940/imgp1740.jpg