PDA

View Full Version : Ikeda and Reed Tonearms at Ammonite Audio

Ammonite Audio
28-03-2017, 07:53
We will soon be selling Reed and Ikeda tonearms from the shop. Why?

Ikeda arms are directly descended from the battleship Fidelity Research arms and are one of very few genuinely high-mass designs available. High mass is very much a Good Thing with Miyajima cartridges, so an Ikeda tonearm is a natural accompaniment for any Miyajima. Retail prices (including VAT) are £5000 for the IT-345 CR-1 and £5495 for the 12" IT-407 CR-1.

http://www.islabs.co.jp/img/it407cr1.jpg

Reed hail from Lithuania and produce a number of tonearms with beautifully conceived and machined mechanical parts, with a number of different hardwood arm wands which each give different effective mass. We are concentrating on the Reed3P which is almost unique in allowing on-the-fly adjustment of both VTA and azimuth. The 3P is available in a range of different anodised finishes and arm tubes can be specified in Red Cedar, Wenge, Zirocote, Macassar Ebony, Cocobolo or Pernambucco hardwoods. Prices for the 3P, including VAT, start at £3200. Because of the wide range of options, these arms are mostly built to order.

Have a read of the HiFi+ review at http://www.reed.lt/attachments/article/239/hi-fi-plus-141_reed-muse3c-reed-3p.pdf

http://www.reed.lt/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/00017_20111229.jpg

anubisgrau
28-03-2017, 08:58
a reed tonearm played on possibly the best vinyl setup i've ever heard - platine verdier, reed 12" and koetsu red stone. ultimate!

farflungstar
28-03-2017, 09:20
My October birthday present... The Reed...

struth
28-03-2017, 09:27
Lovely quality in those. I like quality engineering

Stryder5
28-03-2017, 10:39
Your headline got me intrigued for a second, being stupid, I read IKEA ....doh

Barry
28-03-2017, 13:21
I'm intrigued to learn more about the 'on the fly' azimuth adjustment. That has to be a first for any arm.

Ammonite Audio
28-03-2017, 16:11
I don't know about it being a 'first' but it's simply effected by moving the little lever above the arm tube, which has the effect if rotating the bearing cradle by small degrees. That's possible because of Reed's use of magnets in both vertical and horizontal planes. I do like intuitive thinking and when it's implemented so beautifully, like here, you just have to be impressed. These Reed tonearms are quite clearly designed and made by talented engineers who also appreciate the need for sound ergonomics (not something that is always the case in audio!).

Barry
28-03-2017, 18:28
Yes, by studying the photo in detail I worked that out, and it could only be done if magnetic bearings are used.

You say it's not the first arm to have azimuth adjustment 'on the fly'. What others are/were there?

Ammonite Audio
28-03-2017, 19:00
Yes, by studying the photo in detail I worked that out, and it could only be done if magnetic bearings are used.

You say it's not the first arm to have azimuth adjustment 'on the fly'. What others are/were there?

I'm not saying that the Reed arms are not the first designs with this sort of adjustment - I simply do not know of others, but they may well exist (or have existed). Adam Smith would know in an instant!

farflungstar
29-03-2017, 08:28
I'm pretty sure triplanar allows adjustment of everything during play. The Reed however looks a lot sexier and is reported to be sonically superior - but then I'm a fan of wooden wands.

Barry
29-03-2017, 10:58
I'm pretty sure triplanar allows adjustment of everything during play. The Reed however looks a lot sexier and is reported to be sonically superior - but then I'm a fan of wooden wands.

The Triplanar is a beautiful arm and does have VTA adjustable during play, but I don't think you can do the same to adjust the azimuth.

Ammonite Audio
13-04-2017, 07:28
My demonstration Reed 3P is on order. It's in the plain anodised finish, with 12" Cocobolo arm wand and cryo treated copper cabling. It will take a month or so to arrive but once it's here it will be available for dem.

http://red-dot-21.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/reed-3p.jpg

Ammonite Audio
05-06-2017, 12:50
Just to confirm - the 12" Reed 3P tonearm, with Cocobolo arm wand, will definitely be playing on my stand in the Vinyl Village at the forthcoming North West Audio Show (http://audioshow.co.uk/) 24-25 June at Cranage Hall.

I hope many of you will be able to come along to say hello, and to hear the Reed and Miyajima cartridges both stereo and mono.

Spectral Morn
05-06-2017, 13:46

No, VTA yes other adjustments must be done when its not playing. Graham is the same VTA on the fly yes.

Ammonite Audio
05-06-2017, 16:57
No, VTA yes other adjustments must be done when its not playing. Graham is the same VTA on the fly yes.

The North West Audio Show is an opportunity for anyone to see, feel, and hear the effects of the Reed 3P's on-the-fly VTA and azimuth adjustment.