PDA

View Full Version : Mike New Technics Bearing.

jusbe
07-01-2010, 14:13
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has tried this yet on an SL-12xx and if so, how did they find it?

Jus.

The Grand Wazoo
07-01-2010, 19:46
Hi Jus,

Welcome to the Art of Sound!!

I'm suprised you got past the first post police without being asked to dive into the Welcome area and post a little bit about yourself there!!!
The usual things that we all like to know about are your first name so we can all be a bit more chummy & roughly where you're from. After that we're desperate to know about the system or systems you use & what sort of music you like to listen to. Your nest stop if possible should be at the gallery, where you can put up loads of juicy photos of your gear for us all to see.

Welcome once again!!
Cheers

MartinT
07-01-2010, 20:29
Hi Jus

I'm expecting mine to arrive next week. I'll post a review as soon as I have it set up.

REM
08-01-2010, 08:29
Is it deffo next week? I've had one on order for what seems like forever and am wondering whether it's worth the bother of waiting, given the positive reaction to the timestep bearing.

Cheers

Dave Cawley
08-01-2010, 09:26
The best laid plans of mice and men.................... They came, looked brilliant, were brilliant; but need a little adjustment to the overall size to fit new SL-1200's!

So we will have 6 on Monday and another dozen at the end of next week.

What I can say, is that when I show them at Manchester at the end of the month, that everyone will want one, even the LP-12 people.........

Regards

Dave

Marco
08-01-2010, 10:29
Hi Dave,

Please make sure you keep one for me when they're ready, and send me an email to discuss a mutually suitable time to pop down and have it fitted :cool:

Cheers!

Marco.

snapper
08-01-2010, 10:33
everyone will want one, even the LP-12 people.........

Regards

Dave

I didn't realise they made one for the LP12,or have I just missed the posts about it?

:scratch:

chris@panteg
08-01-2010, 10:36
Marco ' i think it will sound sensational '

Ralph you should wait for it ' the Timestep is superb ' no question now in my mind ' listening to it yesterday '

If the Mile new bearing is as much an improvement again:eek: OMG

Get ready to hear what the your 1200 can really do :)

MartinT
08-01-2010, 10:59
Chris - i can't wait! Has yours settled down now or is it still improving?

DSJR
08-01-2010, 12:21
Speaking of LP12's, I wonder how Mark and Andrew have got on with the RubiKon dems they were going to give at various Linn dealers - I hope they haven't had a bumpy ride as "everyone" else seems to that don't follow the party line...

REM
08-01-2010, 12:57
The best laid plans of mice and men.................... They came, looked brilliant, were brilliant; but need a little adjustment to the overall size to fit new SL-1200's!

What I can say, is that when I show them at Manchester at the end of the month, that everyone will want one, even the LP-12 people.........

Regards

Dave

Any chance of a Mike New bearing fettling session at Manchester, Dave?:)

Dave Cawley
08-01-2010, 13:09
I'm up for a fettling session any time!!

Dave

chris@panteg
09-01-2010, 01:01
Chris - i can't wait! Has yours settled down now or is it still improving?

Hi Martin

Oh yes its settled down ' and still improving though now its more subtle .

I made the mistake of posting comment's much too soon :doh: mad impetuous fool i am , in terms of noise ' vinyl roar ' surface noise all that stuff ' its probably the best or quietest i have ever used .

Despite the limitations of the stock arm ' i can hear a delicacy and finesse with enhanced low level detail ' that i did not think possible with this DJ's turntable :eyebrows:.

What happens in the bass may surprise you the most though ' it stops and starts but with a real fluidity and tuneful quality .

Honestly Martin you are going to love it :)

dmckean
09-01-2010, 06:56
So what's left to do to take the table all the way to the SP-10 level?

chris@panteg
09-01-2010, 12:03
Platter ? i would say maybe plinth but not so sure now ' if its such a negative impact on the sound !

REM
09-01-2010, 14:05
Did I read somewhere that Mike New was also planning a platter at some future point or was I dreaming??:scratch:

As you were, just checked on VE, yes there is a platter on the way.

chris@panteg
10-01-2010, 01:17
A question for Dave Cawley ' will the new platter be ok with the Timestep bearing ? or just the Mike New only ? .

dmckean
10-01-2010, 04:55
Well, whoever makes the replacement plinth needs to put in a spot for a 12" arm.

Dave Cawley
10-01-2010, 09:21
Hi Chris

Remember, everything takes time! The new platter will only work with the Mike New bearing, but there will be a very generous upgrade path for Timestep Bearing owners.

The new plinth, and we could be looking at 2 years, will take both a 9" and a 12" arm simultaneously.

Regards

Dave

freem
10-01-2010, 11:51
Hi Chris

Remember, everything takes time! The new platter will only work with the Mike New bearing, but there will be a very generous upgrade path for Timestep Bearing owners.

The new plinth, and we could be looking at 2 years, will take both a 9" and a 12" arm simultaneously.

Regards

Dave

Hurry up Dave, I'm getting on a bit.

The Grand Wazoo
10-01-2010, 12:02
Will there be anything left of the original apart from the motor?

Dave Cawley
10-01-2010, 12:12

No

Dave

The Grand Wazoo
10-01-2010, 12:31
Where did I leave me hammer?

chris@panteg
10-01-2010, 14:00
Hi Chris

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave

Sounds good ' i think i will just concentrate on replacing the arm for now

dmckean
11-01-2010, 20:15

No

Dave

Interesting. Can you buy just a SL-1200 motor from Technics?