PDA

View Full Version : Which cartridge for my fettled Lenco GL-75

Idlewithnodrive
04-03-2017, 14:26
I've just about finished fettling my GL-75; just waiting for my Andrei Type 1 V-Blocks to arrive and so thought I'd turn my mind as to which cart to use.

Everything on the deck is standard, other than the arm has had the stub mod done.

So, your suggestions for a suitable cartridge for the arm / deck are sought please.

I mostly listen to rock, psych, EDM music.

Thanks for your collective wisdom in advance chaps.

CornishPasty
04-03-2017, 15:54
Depends on your budget and whether you want MM or MC. For MM on a budget you'll be surprised how good an Ortofon 2M Red sounds in this arm with those light mods you mention. I had Denso blocks in mine together with the stub mod. For MC I had good results with an AT33PGT. The arm will even take a Denon DL103 with some extra weight in the headshell and a heavier counterweight. I preferred the AT by a fair margin.

Idlewithnodrive
04-03-2017, 16:44
Thanks Ralph.

Should have said, it will need to be MM. Budget, to about £150 or so, new or used. Have previously owned a 2M Red, Blue and Black. The Blue is the sweet spot, although the Black is amazing when (if) you ever get it set up absolutely, spot on, to within a micro metre correct :)

CornishPasty
04-03-2017, 19:52
A 2M Blue would seem a likely candidate then.

Idlewithnodrive
04-03-2017, 19:56
A 2M Blue would seem a likely candidate then.

Unfortunately, it only screws in from the top and I need a cart that you can screw in from underneath, if you see what I mean.

CornishPasty
04-03-2017, 20:03
I have a 2M Red in a Lenco headshell. I don't see what the problem is.

Jimbo
04-03-2017, 20:03
Unfortunately, it only screws in from the top and I need a cart that you can screw in from underneath, if you see what I mean.

It's worth looking for another Lenco headshell to modify to accept a top mount cartridge. I have a Shure M55e with a Jico SAS cartridge on mine in a standard headshell on a standard deck and it is stunningly good. Nearly as good as a 2M black on my VPI!

Idlewithnodrive
04-03-2017, 20:09
It's worth looking for another Lenco headshell to modify to accept a top mount cartridge. I have a Shure M55e with a Jico SAS cartridge on mine in a standard headshell on a standard deck and it is stunningly good. Nearly as good as a 2N black on my VPI!

Must admit, I quite fancy the idea of an M55e with a decent stylus. That could well be the route I go.

Idlewithnodrive
04-03-2017, 20:10
I have a 2M Red in a Lenco headshell. I don't see what the problem is.

I think you've probably got a modified headshell, they don't fit as standard.

CornishPasty
05-03-2017, 20:01
Just drill out one pair of the threaded holes in the slider and bolt the 2M to it.

tapid
06-04-2017, 19:08
A few months ago I took a chance on an untested shure v15 type 111 that came up on ebay for 40 notes. I t took me a while ( christmas was expensive!) but saved enough money
( £26) to buy a thakker genetic stylus. Well, when that needle dropped ,any noise to prove something was working would have been good, but what I heard really knocked me out
specially for the princely sum of £66!. Purity of tone, separation of instruments, voices, depth, sweetness / warmth ? and just so so musical, a definite upgrade from my shure 75 ej.
Y ou can see why these are so popular on ebay, I just got lucky mine went under the rada. So maybe one to think about Mike. Good luck anyway

tapid
06-04-2017, 19:09
Thats with a Lenco gl75 also btw.

walpurgis
06-04-2017, 19:14
Denon DL-110 works OK in the Lenco arm and sounds nice. It's a high output MC and works into MM inputs.

narabdela
06-04-2017, 21:41
A few months ago I took a chance on an untested shure v15 type 111 that came up on ebay for 40 notes. I t took me a while ( christmas was expensive!) but saved enough money
( £26) to buy a thakker genetic stylus. Well, when that needle dropped ,any noise to prove something was working would have been good, but what I heard really knocked me out
specially for the princely sum of £66!. Purity of tone, separation of instruments, voices, depth, sweetness / warmth ? and just so so musical, a definite upgrade from my shure 75 ej.
Y ou can see why these are so popular on ebay, I just got lucky mine went under the rada. So maybe one to think about Mike. Good luck anyway

tbh I've never heard a modern MM that sounds better than a properly set up v15/111.

(I'll now don my tin hat and hide behind the sofa. :sofa: )