PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer advice with £500 max budget

waby_lfc
04-03-2017, 08:49
Hi all

Looking for a new subwoofer to complement my system. My setup is only quite basic so far with a marantz sr7010 av receiver, B and W 685 fronts, B and W HTM62 centre and some old B and W 601 s1's as surrounds running a 5.0 so far.

The subwoofer should be capable with both music and movies as id say my usage is a 50/50 split and my room is 3.7m x 4.4m.

I've done a little research on finding a good sub for my price but most are brands that are quite hard to get hold of in the UK such as HSU, SVS (sb12 nsd) and Rythmik Audio.

Any advice on recommending a good sub for my needs and my space would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

CageyH
04-03-2017, 09:45
Have you looked at BK Subwoofers?

Simon_LDT
04-03-2017, 11:00
I second BK, definitely check them out.

ReggieB
04-03-2017, 11:24
For that budget, I'd recommend an REL T5i (https://rel.net/shop/subwoofers/serie-ti/t5i/)

Jac Hawk
04-03-2017, 13:14
Have a look at a REL, if you don't mind 2nd hand you should have a look for 1 on eBay, others to consider imo are Paradigm

waby_lfc
04-03-2017, 13:51
Yeah I have looked at the xxls 400 as I've heard it's a little better with music than the monolith which is good for me.

Any particular Rel and Paradigm models that are highly regarded as I do not really mind purchasing second hand.

Thanks

Macca
04-03-2017, 16:47
Veolodyne are also good, you might be able to get an older model in budget.

williamsgrandad
04-03-2017, 16:47
Hi
I have two Rel r328 that I used to use with Apogee hybrids
Drop me a pm if interested
Cheers
Ian

Sherwood
05-03-2017, 13:37
Chris,

sub-woofer for music or audio-visual? I have often found that subwoofers compromise the performance of a good stand mount speaker with music. When my LS35a's were my primary speaker I found that the bass performance improved with improvements in amplification. In fact the whole performance came alive when driven by a really powerful amp. I am surprised you feel the need for a sub-woofer as your receiver seems pretty powerful. Are you looking for a more thunderous audio-visual experience?

Geoff

The Alchemist
09-03-2017, 17:00
Hi Chris,

What are your DIY skills like? If you are a practical person you might like to consider a SW4 from IPL Acoustics http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/Home%20Cinema.htm

If you could build one yourself it would come in well under budget at £290 and offer a quality product for not much money. My hobby is building IPL kits and if you wanted to go down that route I would be willing to give you any advice that you may need.

The subwoofer kit is very easy to put together and there are other ways to finish them if you don't fancy veneering.

Richard.

Yomanze
09-03-2017, 17:32
Go for a sealed sub over a ported one (in general). BK has my vote.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

waby_lfc
11-03-2017, 08:51
Hi Richard

I did consider building my own but didn't find a site to buy a kit off that had decent reviews. If i went for the SW5, do you think i could expect a similar level of performance to the BK XXLS400? Thank you for he advice and it's definitely something I'm now looking at.

Chris

waby_lfc
11-03-2017, 08:52
Thanks for all of the advice guys.

I'm now down to a choosing between a DIY sealed box or a BK XXLS400.

Chris

walpurgis
11-03-2017, 09:10
To my ears, the sealed box subs tend to sound cleaner.

The Alchemist
11-03-2017, 13:53
Hi Chris,

I regret I have not heard the BK unit so I am unable to make a comparison. I am still using one of Ivan's 10" subwoofers which I made many years ago and I am still happy with it. I'm sure that the kevlar coned driver in the SW5 is excellent and the class D amplification is better than the one in my unit. In short, Ivan has always produced excellent speakers and I doubt that you would be disappointed if you went ahead and built one. My expectation would be that a SW5 would at least match the BK and probably surpass it...........Let me know if you decide to build one. There are some hints and tips I could pass on that you won't find in the build manual.

Richard.

Yiangos
17-04-2017, 10:18
Have a look at themovierooms.co.uk. They even stock svs subs !