PDA

View Full Version : Electrostatic Speakers

J B
31-12-2009, 19:30
I starting searching the internet for details on people's electristatic speakers projects but then I decided I'd probably have more luck just asking here. So anyone ever tried it? They seem to have a lot of advantages even if they're awkward to design/make.

DSJR
31-12-2009, 19:49
I don't think anyone has ever tried to make some from scratch, as it can be lethal and the transformers wouldn't be widely available (would they?)

Better to get some Quads and either re-build )57's) or properly set up (63's) with them well off the floor and tilted back a little as the treble is made to beam downwards on the domestic versions (I'm not going to suggest the hideously ugly and dangerous Noel Keyward technique of removing both grilles AND protection mesh.....

hifi_dave
31-12-2009, 20:02
I don't think anyone has ever tried to make some from scratch, as it can be lethal and the transformers wouldn't be widely available (would they?)

Better to get some Quads and either re-build )57's) or properly set up (63's) with them well off the floor and tilted back a little as the treble is made to beam downwards on the domestic versions (I'm not going to suggest the hideously ugly and dangerous Noel Keyward technique of removing both grilles AND protection mesh.....

Steen (SDAcoustics) briefly tried but gave up and moved on to Ribbon drivers which were a lot easier and cheaper to produce.

Jonboy
31-12-2009, 20:04
http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp272/jonboy_01/DSC_0088.jpg

I thought mine win the ugly crown

DSJR
31-12-2009, 20:21
Naim tried to design an electrostatic and the prototypes sounded very interesting indeed, but they gave in as well...

Ali Tait
31-12-2009, 20:33
I starting searching the internet for details on people's electristatic speakers projects but then I decided I'd probably have more luck just asking here. So anyone ever tried it? They seem to have a lot of advantages even if they're awkward to design/make.

Hi,try looking at ER Audio.They are a company based in Australia that supply kit statics.I have two pairs,the ESL III and the top of the range Acorn.These are superb,and don't let the kit aspect put you off.They are just as good,if not better than Quads,and at a fraction of the price.

John
31-12-2009, 20:52
I heard the Acorn once pretty impressive

hifi_dave
31-12-2009, 21:10
http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp272/jonboy_01/DSC_0088.jpg

I thought mine win the ugly crown

I have seen uglier - I'm just not sure where...:eek:

Bet they sound good though.

DSJR
31-12-2009, 23:17
Oh god, it's another little cupboard.......................................... ............................................

Ali Tait
01-01-2010, 03:14
You bugger I was going to say that!!!! :lol:

Thanks John for an independent opinion,most folk here automatically dismiss anything kit based.The ER stuff is really rather good! :)