PDA

View Full Version : Tascam BR20 X 2

337alant
19-02-2017, 16:36
Not just 1 but 2 Tascam BR20 for sale :eyebrows: not cheap though :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tascam-BR20-Tape-Machine-X-2-/292032645389?hash=item43fe80890d:g:eBUAAOSwax5YqYx Z

Alan

Ali Tait
19-02-2017, 17:31
Dang, I'd have these if I'd the spare readies..

Audio Al
19-02-2017, 17:38
Looks well over priced as one is spares or repair

337alant
19-02-2017, 17:48
Yes and the first machine looks well used to me
Should be half that price IMO

Alan

topoxforddoc
19-02-2017, 19:04
The price of R2Rs has gone up considerably in the last year or two. Welcome to the new reality (or is that just fake news?).

Given the unveiling of the new Ballfinger (Euro 27 k), 15 IPS capable studio machines have gone up again.

Barry
19-02-2017, 20:19
The price of R2Rs has gone up considerably in the last year or two. Welcome to the new reality (or is that just fake news?).

Given the unveiling of the new Ballfinger (Euro 27 k), 15 IPS capable studio machines have gone up again.

Yes - I came very close to buying a Studer C37 (complete with VU meters) for £800. That was about seven years ago.

337alant
21-02-2017, 16:18

R2R has gone crazy in prices just recently and supplies of the good ones do seem scares now so I guess its supply and demand kicking in

Im still undecided over the new Ballfinger, it looks great but what has it really got under the bonnet to justify that price ?, has anyone actually reviewed it against any of the industry standards?

Alan

topoxforddoc
21-02-2017, 17:29
Im still undecided over the new Ballfinger, it looks great but what has it really got under the bonnet to justify that price ?, has anyone actually reviewed it against any of the industry standards?

Alan

A very significant part of the performance of a R2R depends on the chassis rigidity and quality of the tape drive and tensioning. The are the main factors which affect speed stability of the tape over the heads. Speed stability is probably the most important and difficult bit to get right.

Machining is not cheap. A Studer A820 chassis is made from a single piece of CNC machined alloy and is truly massive. The Ballinger has a CNC machined chassis, which looks pretty substantial from the pics. Decent motors and capstans aren't cheap to get truly right either. Add this to a low volume production and you can see why this is expensive. It's a lot harder to make one of these than a Eur27k turntable for instance.