PDA

View Full Version : The "Walpurgis Driver fix"

Bigman80
17-02-2017, 16:26
Hi all,

As you may have been aware, I was gifted a pair of Mission 710 speakers. They have a few issues. Mainly on of the drivers was distorting badly. Geoff kindly offered to share with me his "fix"

I took him up on it and gave it a try today.

The fix cost £1.49 for some elastic bands.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170217/f62c92b644d7471a56c62ac9ec5db23d.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170217/898a9ebc7fa3f907c4afff7ca82feb3f.jpg

So, after I removed the Driver I gently press around the cone to see where movement was restricted. It makes a rubbing sound when you get to the right bit.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170217/d2631f47d70f464c10aff5ef1c8013e6.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170217/e3d1350e0691465e0197858113397a87.jpg

Aligning the rubber bands to pull in the opposite direction to the restricted part I applied some heat. A hairdryer did the job.

I applied heat for about 10 seconds at a time to re check movement of the cone.

I repositioned the elastic bands a couple of times and.......

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170217/f5305c17cdc1c6893bcde53ff04b27d1.jpg

It worked !!!!

I now have some fantastic sounding speakers.

Thanks Geoff.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80
17-02-2017, 16:28
Any idea how to pull the dents out of the dust covers ??

Update**

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170217/0357c3ea17f4d60e2e1b18208d504a18.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170217/0609852e5da60239c9bd041edcb38419.jpg

Went with super low power on the hoover and it worked !!

A bit dimpled but sound great still.

Sherwood
17-02-2017, 16:37
Suck! Seriously. Use a funnel or cut down a plastic water bottle to size if you can't get purchase. Alternatively give Jagger a buzz!:)

Bigman80
17-02-2017, 16:38
Suck! Seriously. Use a funnel or cut down a plastic water bottle to size if you can't get purchase. Alternatively give Jagger a buzz!:)
Lol

Reffc
17-02-2017, 16:39
Any idea how to pull the dents out of the dust covers ??

Too late I know, but here are a few methods if people need to do this:

Try some (very) sticky tape. Apply to dented area and gently pull the dent out. Remove tape, job done.

Failing that, carefully attach a vacuum cleaner tube to the dust cover for a second or two but be sure to take care not to pull at the driver.

If one of those two methods doesn't work you can try another old trick and carefully superglue a strong black cotton thread to the cover and gently pull the dent out. Don't apply too much glue. The cotton can be trimmed off very close to the glue joint. Not ideal but it works. The area can be tidied up if needed using a little permanent marker. For woven covers, you can buy little suture needles, thread a little cotton or fishing line through and thread the curved needle through the cover where the dent is, pull the two ends of the thread, pulling the dent out then pull the thread through. Don't try this on plastic covers!

walpurgis
17-02-2017, 16:39
Don't use a vacuum cleaner, unless it has variable suction that can be set low. Most have too much suction and can cause damage.

A sharp needle can work, just to pry the dome back out. A trick probably best used only on fabric domes though.

If your missus has waxing strips, they can work, as they are incredibly sticky. I have actually used them for this exact job.

mikeyb
17-02-2017, 16:40
Many years ago my Mission m73's had the domes poked in by one of my cherubs I used a Hoover to suck them back out, I just edged the tube closer and closer until it started to draw them out.

Worked fine after that.

Still have them in the attic lol

Sherwood
17-02-2017, 16:47
Many years ago hen my Mission m73's had the domes poked in by one of my cherubs I used a Hoover to suck them back out, I just edged the tube closer and closer until it started to draw them out.

Worked fine after that.

Still have them in the attic lol

The speakers or your cherubs?

walpurgis
17-02-2017, 16:47
I see Paul and I posted at the same time and I sort of contradicted him on the vacuum cleaner bit. :D ;)

struth
17-02-2017, 16:49
Don't use a vacuum cleaner, unless it has variable suction that can be set low. Most have too much suction and can cause damage.

A sharp needle can work, just to pry the dome back out. A trick probably best used only on fabric domes though.

If your missus has waxing strips, they can work, as they are incredibly sticky. I have actually used them for this exact job.

You can stick tgem to wives mouths when they are asleep too.;). Do a great job

struth
17-02-2017, 16:53

Vacuum is potentially dodgy but works if care is taken. You dont want it shooting up tube :eyebrows:

mikeyb
17-02-2017, 16:55
The speakers or your cherubs?
Lol brilliant 😂😂😂

mikeyb
17-02-2017, 16:58
Vacuum is potentially dodgy but works if care is taken. You dont want it shooting up tube :eyebrows:
That was my worry but if you start at 6" away then gradually creep the nozzle closer until to see it start to tease the dome out, then very slowly edge it closer still......

It's all about a light touch and the delicacy of the suck 😉 😁

struth
17-02-2017, 17:03
A museum vac is the one to have for these jobs.. it has soft ended tools and variable suck. They use them on pics etc

walpurgis
17-02-2017, 17:04
It's all about a light touch and the delicacy of the suck �� ��

Said the actress to the bishop! :eyebrows:

Bigman80
17-02-2017, 17:08
Yes, I was worried but ours has the option to lower it right down so I started about 2" out and ended up actually making contact before there was enough pull.

Worked though lol

mikeyb
17-02-2017, 17:14
Yes, I was worried but ours has the option to lower it right down so I started about 2" out and ended up actually making contact before there was enough pull.

Worked though lol

That must give you hours of endless fun 😉

Bigman80
17-02-2017, 17:36
That must give you hours of endless fun 😉
Hahaha. Utter filth. Everywhere!

Can Change the level of enthusiasm !!! 😂😂

Reffc
17-02-2017, 17:55
I see Paul and I posted at the same time and I sort of contradicted him on the vacuum cleaner bit. :D ;)

Not really Geoff. It (hopefully!) stands to reason that a strong suction shouldn't come too close to a delicate drive unit!

Even is your vac isn't of the variable kind, you can still effect a reduction by tightly wrapping some heavy cloth across the end of the tube to reduce suction.

What we get up to in our spare time eh! :D

User211
17-02-2017, 17:57
I owned some 710s. My memory is of a overly active top end, with good bass and mids.

Perhaps those tweeters have settled down a tad in their more senior years.

fatmarley
17-02-2017, 18:22
That was my worry but if you start at 6" away then gradually creep the nozzle closer until to see it start to tease the dome out, then very slowly edge it closer still......

That's how I've always done It. I'm sure some people would be horrified If they saw how I do It - Full power with an already powerful Miele vacuum cleaner.

Both the tweeters and mids on my speakers have been done three times in the last couple of years. You'd never know though because there's not a single dent.

Bigman80
17-02-2017, 19:32
I owned some 710s. My memory is of a overly active top end, with good bass and mids.

Perhaps those tweeters have settled down a tad in their more senior years.
Ye maybe a little at times but it's usually the recording too. Maybe they have mellowed ? Bass and MIDs are phenomenal though. Might change the tweeter for personal preference

sumday
17-02-2017, 19:41
the best solution I've found is paper masking tape...simply apply a strip across the dome and scrape it down with a fingernail...it will go darker as it sticks down.
a gentle pull up is all that is then required. works on tweeter domes too, cloth AND metal.
of course the best idea is to keep your grilles on....young children seem to think drivers are a ON switch!!

NIGE.

Bigman80
17-02-2017, 19:42
the best solution I've found is paper masking tape...simply apply a strip across the dome and scrape it down with a fingernail...it will go darker as it sticks down.
a gentle pull up is all that is then required. works on tweeter domes too, cloth AND metal.
of course the best idea is to keep your grilles on....young children seem to think drivers are a ON switch!!

NIGE.
I do, but they came like that. And they haven't got grills. Yet.

Firebottle
17-02-2017, 22:07
Might change the tweeter for personal preference

If you do I am interested in what they are and perform like. A little swap around with some others speakers may be in order.

Cheers,
Alan

walpurgis
17-02-2017, 22:21
That SEAS tweeter is actually pretty decent. You may have trouble integrating an alternative into the speaker. Impedance, sensitivity and compatibilty with the existing crossover or adustments to it have to be considered. If you are finding things a bit bright, why not try an 'L' pad with the tweeter to control output. You can do this cheaply with resistors or use an adjustable pot type. Bear in mind there is an insertion loss with pots.

Bigman80
17-02-2017, 23:53
That SEAS tweeter is actually pretty decent. You may have trouble integrating an alternative into the speaker. Impedance, sensitivity and compatibilty with the existing crossover or adustments to it have to be considered. If you are finding things a bit bright, why not try an 'L' pad with the tweeter to control output. You can do this cheaply with resistors or use an adjustable pot type. Bear in mind there is an insertion loss with pots.
Erm, I didn't understand all of that lol. I like them so I'll leave them alone hahaha. I feel very lucky that I didn't rip the cone off or something when I was trying to manipulate it.

Integration is a worry and o have done a bit of reading. The Seas tweeter is actually pretty decent so I'd have to spend a good chunk of change to get anything as good. I think I'll just focus on refinishing the Cab's and getting some nice grills. Wilmslow audio make them to order apparently.

walpurgis
17-02-2017, 23:59
Google L Pad. Then you'll see what I mean. Quite easy to implement actually.

User211
18-02-2017, 00:11
Ye maybe a little at times but it's usually the recording too. Maybe they have mellowed ? Bass and MIDs are phenomenal though. Might change the tweeter for personal preference

I don't know but what I really liked about them was the bass driver cone material. It's a bit cheap vending machine coffee cup like in nature, but by fuck is it quick sounding subjectively.

I think young people will really seriously hear the treble issue they undoubtedly had. Because I did as a youngster in precisely the same way they would or will now.

I'd lift them up on top of the floor onto a half decent stand. They can do some wacko entertaining imaging when so placed. Try a good quality rigid stand that gets them at least one and a half feet above the floor.

Bigman80
18-02-2017, 00:13
I'm young !!! Lol. Ish.

Yeah stands too. I like em.

Bigman80
18-02-2017, 00:46
Long term goal is a nice pair of tannoys, as inspired by Geoff lol. Short term, these are good to my ear. High volume and the Treble does get a bit hard but overall, general listening volumes they are tough to beat for free ! I prefer them to the Ruarks. There, I said it !

I don't know if it's because I've played in bands etc but I need to feel that bass drum as well as hear it and nothing I've owned has done that quite like these 710s.

They feel good to listen too. Listening to SRV earlier was real. I could touch his guitar, it was right there in front to of me. (it wasn't but you get the picture).

Sarah Jarosz - take me back. absolutely positive she was in my front room.

I love them. Thanks again Shaman.

Firebottle
18-02-2017, 08:06
What is the model of the Seas tweeter?

Just noticed Oliver you're signature is very out of date now :doh:

Macca
18-02-2017, 08:15
IME 'brightness' is rarely the fault of the tweeter, or any other part of the speaker even if that is usually the first place we go. Good speakers those Missions, I wouldn't mess with them. I'd start by seeing if it can be tamed with judicious cabling choices, if not look at the amplification.

Bigman80
18-02-2017, 09:02
What is the model of the Seas tweeter?

Just noticed Oliver you're signature is very out of date now :doh:
I don't know Alan, there is no Info on the actual tweeter. Ill have to look online.

Yes, I dont know how to change the signature lol

Firebottle
18-02-2017, 09:09
Click on 'Forum actions', 'Edit Profile' then 'Edit signature', simples :)

Couldn't find the tweeter info with a quick search, maybe you will have better results.

Bigman80
18-02-2017, 09:10
IME 'brightness' is rarely the fault of the tweeter, or any other part of the speaker even if that is usually the first place we go. Good speakers those Missions, I wouldn't mess with them. I'd start by seeing if it can be tamed with judicious cabling choices, if not look at the amplification.
I think youre right Macca, I really like them. Very open sounding. Huge soundstage. The hardness may be attributed to the CD player imo. A tube buffer may sort it out. I'll explore.

walpurgis
18-02-2017, 10:46
I'd start by seeing if it can be tamed with judicious cabling choices, if not look at the amplification.

Good point. Avoid cables with plated conductors or solid cores. Pure copper multistrand is generally a safe bet. The amp should be fairly benign, knowing NAD.

Bigman80
18-02-2017, 10:59
It's the Sony that's in Play !!!!

The CD player has the Digital feel so definitely think that's the reason. The TT sounds brilliant although that has silver plated cables on. I'll be swapping the Klotz back on when I get 5.

How do I change my signature !!!

walpurgis
18-02-2017, 11:09
The CD player has the Digital feel so definitely think that's the reason

CD need not sound 'digital'. Mine sounds as sweet and 'analogue' as the vinyl side of things. I think an old Meridian 206 player would give you a big surprise. Not that that's what I'm using, but I have owned them. Very musical!

struth
18-02-2017, 11:17
It's the Sony that's in Play !!!!

The CD player has the Digital feel so definitely think that's the reason. The TT sounds brilliant although that has silver plated cables on. I'll be swapping the Klotz back on when I get 5.

How do I change my signature !!!

At top of page, click settings. Then on left select signature change. Then remember to save

Macca
18-02-2017, 11:17
A tube buffer

Shudder.

What is the CD player and did you use that as a source with the Ruarks? Was it hard sounding with the Ruarks too?

Bigman80
18-02-2017, 11:20
Click on 'Forum actions', 'Edit Profile' then 'Edit signature', simples :)

Couldn't find the tweeter info with a quick search, maybe you will have better results.
Cheers Alan. I'll have a looky.