PDA

View Full Version : Advice on speaker change.

p147
06-02-2017, 18:44
:)

Its that time again where I am thinking of changing bits of my current system and that is my current speakers which are Dynaudio C1, they are quite fantastic speakers however they are rear ported and ideally should be sited away from the wall, so I am looking at getting a pair of Pioneer S-2ex stand mounts which are front ported and can be sited against a wall (as I understand) and incorporate TAD drivers, has anyone ever listened to these and what are there impressions?
Thanks

Puffin
07-02-2017, 19:10
Hi Paul. Wouldn't it be the case that unless the C1's were so close to the wall that the port was blocked and unable to function properly that the port should be unhindered?

If you played some music at high volume and the port is chuffing it's little heart out, it will simply blast the air at the rear wall and it will escape on either side or up or down to dissipate?

Are they right bang hard up against wall? A couple of inches would be enough to let them breathe.....wouldn't it?

I would have thought that the C1's were in a different league to the Pioneers?

struth
07-02-2017, 19:21
:)

Its that time again where I am thinking of changing bits of my current system and that is my current speakers which are Dynaudio C1, they are quite fantastic speakers however they are rear ported and ideally should be sited away from the wall, so I am looking at getting a pair of Pioneer S-2ex stand mounts which are front ported and can be sited against a wall (as I understand) and incorporate TAD drivers, has anyone ever listened to these and what are there impressions?
Thanks

They were expensive in their day these. Heavy too... guess if you cn get at a good price then you may well like them. 3 way standmount I think.

agk
07-02-2017, 19:27
If offered the choice I would take the Dynaudio pair and run. The Pioneer seem a fairly good effort for that brand but I'd be surprised if they live with the C2 for long.

struth
07-02-2017, 19:36
Info on these ;) there is a few models. as I say they are quality

https://www.hifix.co.uk/pioneer-s2ex-reference-series-bookcase-speakers-pair

Ninanina
07-02-2017, 19:42
The Pioneer's look just lovely

However after getting my LV's, which are rear ported, I am of the view that placement for rear or front ported speakers is very much speaker dependant

My LV's are supposed to be placed a fair distance from the back wall and not into the corners of the room but I don't have them very far at all from the back wall and pretty near the corners as well so totally against what is recommended but they are performing perfectly as they are

Spectral Morn
07-02-2017, 19:49
Size of room, floor type, floor covering, wall construction, system components and type of music. All of which is required to offer any advice.

p147
07-02-2017, 21:30
Thank you all for your replies, My problem is that the c1 speakers do sing just that bit better approx. 0.50m from the wall which means that they do come out into the room, and knowing that I cannot site them anywhere else other than against the wall without the other half passing comment :( to keep the peace I have decided to look at various options that's where I came across a couple of Pioneers advertised on e-bay the links are as follows:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252718712582?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT for the s-2ex and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-S-1EX-W-Teak-NEU-High-End-Standlautsprecher-Paar-UVP-war-10-980-00-Paar-/232202268309?hash=item3610556e95 for the Pioneer S-1EX both at what appears to be very good price and seems that the seller has a good history.
The other question I have is the does the s-1ex better than the s-3ex as it appears to be much heavier, does anyone own or have heard of these?
Thanks

Puffin
08-02-2017, 07:30
Before spending that sort of money I would defo want to hear them!

JimC
08-02-2017, 07:44
If you have too much Bass with the C1's up close to the rear wall, could you perhaps fill the port with some foam or similar to reduce the air-flow?

Just a thought.

Jim.

CageyH
08-02-2017, 07:56
For that amount of cash, I would be visiting a dealer and having a home loan before parting with any money.

p147
08-02-2017, 15:25
I believe these are no longer available and was hoping that someone may have a pair I could listen too.
Before spending that sort of money I would defo want to hear them!

I have tried the foam bungs that came with the speakers but find they take away the top notes only very slightly, and therefore not keen on them.
If you have too much Bass with the C1's up close to the rear wall, could you perhaps fill the port with some foam or similar to reduce the air-flow?

Just a thought.

Jim.

I believe that they are no longer available and that is why the prices are so discounted.
For that amount of cash, I would be visiting a dealer and having a home loan before parting with any money.

I found that the s-3ex speakers use different driver units therefore I believe the s-1ex are the superior speaker so I would only be interested in the s-ex1 or s-ex3.
Thank you all again.