PDA

View Full Version : LP12 Owners - look here.

flatpopely
27-12-2009, 17:16
A new sub chassis for the Linn Sondek LP12 is under development!

www.audioflat.co.uk

Available early next year.

Andrew

P.S. It sounds great, same magnitude of improvement as the Radikal made to my LP12.

YNWaN
28-12-2009, 15:59
That looks interesting :).

chris@panteg
29-12-2009, 13:08
Hi Andrew

Once again ' good luck with the Rubikon and i will hopefully be able to listen to it at Scalford ' .

I think LP12 owner's should be interested ' i know if i still had mine ' i would be .

DSJR
29-12-2009, 14:19
Which bearing is recommended, the older flat flange or the better Cirkus one?

I suspect this sub-chassis may better serve those who've already got a Cirkus, as the hub and bearing will be the better latest type....

YNWaN
29-12-2009, 19:10
Both bearings are equally recommended (and can be accommodated); the older Linn bearing fits as well as the Cirkus does and so is equally served by the RubiKon. However, results with the Cirkus will inevitably be better as its wider spaced liners and reinforced mounting flange increase rigidity.

So my spies tell me...

flatpopely
29-12-2009, 23:17
YNWaN is correct both bearings are fine.

YNWaN
06-01-2010, 16:13
I feel it is only appropriate that I announce that I designed the RubiKon (hence my knowledge regarding the Cirkus compatibility ;)).

chris@panteg
10-01-2010, 19:40
What sort of response have you had so far ' and how do Linn feel about it .

It seems to me that Modding your favorite turntable in this way ' is a positive step forward
there are many thousands of Linnies out there ' who just can't even consider a keel or even a Radikal for that matter .

YNWaN
11-01-2010, 11:14
So far, we seem to have had a very positive response; the announcement of the RubiKon, in the Trade section of pfm, has had 13,694 viewings so far and we have been contacted by a number of interested parties.

We have also been in contact with Linn who do not seem to have an issue with the design as it is not a copy of (or even based on) any of their own work.

In truth, modifying existing turntables was never my interest, or intention; personally, I am much more interested in designing the whole thing form base principles. However, I was asked by a friend (Andrew - flatpopely) to consider the problem of how I would address the issues presented by the chassis of the LP12 and what solution I would implement - the RubiKon is the result of that work and is based on principles I have developed over many years. It is not intended to be anything less than the very best solution for the task in this design.

DSJR
11-01-2010, 12:48
I have a friend who may be interested (he still has his old but good troika too.. :lol:

Good luck to both of you with the venture..

YNWaN
11-01-2010, 13:19
Many thanks

flatpopely
12-01-2010, 17:44
It is not intended to be anything less than the very best solution for the task in this design.

Indeed it really is a huge upgrade from the std Linn chassis. Come and hear it at the WigWam show :)

Marco
12-01-2010, 18:58
Yep, guys, the very best of luck to you with this project. AoS is happy to support you in any way possible, so if you've got any ideas how we could help further with promotion of the RubiKon, just let me know :)

Btw, YNWaN, a small point, but what's your proper first name again? Sorry, but we're fussy about things like that here, especially when usernames as rather 'unusual' and difficult to write properly quickly.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

YNWaN
12-01-2010, 20:29
Btw, YNWaN, a small point, but what's your proper first name again?

It's Mark (but I prefer my user name - or one of the other variations I use – misspelling my user name doesn’t bother me).

flatpopely
12-01-2010, 20:34
Bit shy is our Mark......sorry YNWaN!

Marco
12-01-2010, 20:47
Cheers, Mark :)

May I ask what 'YNWaN' stands for? I must admit it's always puzzled me!

Marco.

flatpopely
12-01-2010, 20:49
Marco.

I'm so dying to tell you but thats YNWaNs right.

Andrew

Marco
12-01-2010, 21:00
LOL - very good!

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
13-01-2010, 00:20
– misspelling my user name doesn’t bother me).

Surely you'd prefer your real name to Yawnn?
............unless it's Clarence.............?

YNWaN
14-01-2010, 18:33
No I don't - it's just a name (http://www.behindthename.com/name/mark) (random selection of letters) - lots of people have the same one.

(After all, a name doesn't define the person, or knowing it make you their friend. In fact, it doesn't have any meaning outside of an abstract construct relating to social interaction)

flatpopely
06-02-2010, 13:05
So the full production prototypes are nearly ready. We are making three. One for my deck (which will be at the Wam show) another for people to look at and the third one for dealers to borrow. Its all coming together.

Andrew

YNWaN
17-02-2010, 09:34
Latest pictures - being fitted on Friday:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/Hi%20Fi/RubiKon/RubiKonarmboardtop.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/Hi%20Fi/RubiKon/RubiKonlogodetail.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/Hi%20Fi/RubiKon/RubiKonchassistop.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/Hi%20Fi/RubiKon/RubiKonchassisunder.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/Hi%20Fi/RubiKon/RubiKonwhole.jpg

Quite a lot more work has gone into the design but It is now in final prototype stage - the production one won't have two earth bond points (I just don't think a second one is necessary) - sorry about the quality of the pics and the fingerprints. Andrew will take some better quality pics at the weekend.

(ermm..sorry about the website too - it is insisting on being 'problamatic' - our people are working on resolving the issues :))

dowser
17-02-2010, 10:39
Looks good - but is there a logo delete option? :)

Richard

YNWaN
17-02-2010, 12:31
Well...I'm open to logo suggestions :). We are looking into it but the logo may end up being etched (or machined) into the armboard.

DSJR
17-02-2010, 14:04
Any idea on price? Forgive me if you've mentioned this before.

YNWaN
17-02-2010, 19:08
Well, that's not my area to be honest so I'll leave it to Andrew to answer. All I can honestly say is that it will be less than some and more than others.

The pics don't show the underside of the chassis but it is actually rather a complex construction (I know it shows the underside in the avatar but the underside of the armboard, in particular, doesn't look like that now).

(I've just been doing some logo work - custom font and all that...)

flatpopely
18-02-2010, 10:24
I like the logo! As Mark says I'll post some 'arty' pics this weekend after we have fitted it to my deck.

Pricing is 100% determined by the route to market. We really want this to go via dealers as fitting an LP12 subchassis is a very complicated task and its easy to get it wrong and not get the best from an LP12.

Andrew.

dowser
18-02-2010, 14:07
I guess the logo is a personal choice - I'd prefer nothing, or something discreet. Maybe offer it as being etched/machined without the white paint, as well as with?

Richard

YNWaN
18-02-2010, 15:54
The logo is actually in grey and is quite discreet in real life.

YNWaN
20-02-2010, 08:42
Looks like we may be using this lettering instead:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/logo2.jpg

dowser
20-02-2010, 13:56
Looks better - I'd still prefer it etched but all in black though :)

Richard

YNWaN
25-02-2010, 19:58
Some pics of the RubiKon that Andrew took last weekend:-

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/AudioFlat/RubiKon%20MK3-3/DSC_4400.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/AudioFlat/RubiKon%20MK3-3/DSC_4375.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/AudioFlat/RubiKon%20MK3-3/DSC_4349.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/AudioFlat/RubiKon%20MK3-3/DSC_4357.jpg

chris@panteg
28-02-2010, 01:14
The more i look at the rubikon ' the more i want to hear what it does to the LP12 ' next sunday guy's its got to be worth a trip to Scalford .

flatpopely
28-02-2010, 07:55
See you there Chris.

Please bring some of your own vinyl to put on the 'RubiKon' LP12.

Andrew.

YNWaN
06-03-2010, 10:16
Well, off to Scalford Hall for the Wigwam show today (though the actual show is on Sunday) - just packing things up now.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/show/

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Scalfordhallmap.jpg

DSJR
06-03-2010, 13:00
And all I can see is a Troika being tracked heavier than Linn ever recommended and the bias set too low (as Ittoks under-biased on their scale)...

Probably not in the least important as both arm and cartridge aren't standard....:D

YNWaN
06-03-2010, 13:25
What are you on about Dave?

Most helpful I'm sure :rolleyes:.

The Troika is tracking within the range Expert Stylus recommended when it was returned (I used a stylus balance rather than rely on the markings on the Linn tracking force dial). There isn't anything very unusual about the bias setting either (if you read around the subject a little).

DSJR
06-03-2010, 15:25
Yes there is, it's all wrong :D

The men in white coats have just arrived........................................... ................................

Seriously, good luck with the RubyKon. Hope the show goes well for you :) :respect:

chris@panteg
06-03-2010, 17:00
Dave ' you are still a Linnie at heart i suspect , perhaps you should get a nice 2nd hand LP12 and get fettling :)

YNWaN
13-03-2010, 10:13
Yes there is, it's all wrong :D

The men in white coats have just arrived........................................... ................................

Seriously, good luck with the RubyKon. Hope the show goes well for you :) :respect:

Many thanks :)

Actually, if you were referring to the pics of the Ittok above - they are a tad misleading. These pictures were taken during setup and the tracking force dial shows a higher rating than is actually being used. Likewise, the bias also looks to be set lower than it actually is (though it is a bit lower than standard recommendation - by choice).

I was pleased by the show response. Lots of people came to the room and many stayed for quite a while. In addition, I had some very interesting conversations and most visitors were very well informed (and experienced in matters hi-fi).

DSJR
13-03-2010, 11:27
Glad it all went well.

How are you going to market this device?

Chris - Once a Linnie, always a closet Linnie, as long as the boingy bass is removed - :lol:

I do owe Ivor a lot, both positive and negative. The "rhythm and tunes" bit I've always done, just more conciously these last thirty years or so. One reason why my little stereo continues to surprise me how well it does in these areas, with some semblance of accuracy too (I can live with the slight deviations).

I have a TD125 skulking in the garage. Once the arm-board is Rega cut, I have an R200 to play with, together with a Kenwood arm from a KD750 which is quite rigid. I shall enjoy playing with this and await future developments as events unfold...

Are there plans to compare the Rubykon to the Cirkus as I suspect the pricing is similar?

The LP12 is a timeless styling, thanks to Thorens. I hope that other, more reasonably priced parts, can become available (plinths for example..).

Rare Bird
13-03-2010, 12:17
Can i just say i can't stand that turntable as they sound as though the music is playing from a vat of Bisto gravy! So i thought i'd make a B line for Andy's room give it a whirl. I can honestly say i was impressed, in whole the system sounded a bit bright but i'm putting that down to the sheer size of the Room. I can for one hear musik eminating from yonder deck

Forgot to mention Naim Amps

:lol:

Well done Andy.

YNWaN
13-03-2010, 12:33
Glad it all went well.

How are you going to market this device?

Chris - Once a Linnie, always a closet Linnie, as long as the boingy bass is removed - :lol:

I do owe Ivor a lot, both positive and negative. The "rhythm and tunes" bit I've always done, just more conciously these last thirty years or so. One reason why my little stereo continues to surprise me how well it does in these areas, with some semblance of accuracy too (I can live with the slight deviations).

I have a TD125 skulking in the garage. Once the arm-board is Rega cut, I have an R200 to play with, together with a Kenwood arm from a KD750 which is quite rigid. I shall enjoy playing with this and await future developments as events unfold...

Are there plans to compare the Rubykon to the Cirkus as I suspect the pricing is similar?

The LP12 is a timeless styling, thanks to Thorens. I hope that other, more reasonably priced parts, can become available (plinths for example..).

Well, a number of dealers (yes, Linn dealers) have expressed an interest and that is how I would prefer to sell it (rather than direct) - auditioning takes place in the following month.

Linn replacement plinths are already pretty reasonably priced - Alternative ones would be unlikely to be much (if any) cheaper.

To be honest, I'm not interested in designing cheaper components - just better ones.

-------------------

Do you mean the Cirkus or the Keel? I've compared it to the Cirkus chassis and it is very significantly better in every respect (IMHO of course).

YNWaN
13-03-2010, 12:37
Andre, glad you like it.

The tonal balance was a bit program dependant as the size of room meant that there was very little bass reinforcement at the frequencies one would normally expect - it was quite (but not excessively) lively too.

Rare Bird
13-03-2010, 12:49
Yes thats a thing how much are they? I also noticed a bare Naim half width style sleeve on the table, can i ask about that!

DSJR
13-03-2010, 16:32
Andre, I believe ES14's were used as speakers. Correctly set up, they should sound "lean" and NOT one-note boomy, as the later ones do if the foam port-bung is removed. The treble sparkle is a result of the one component crossover bringing them in late, the very slight tradeoff being a little sparkle which isn't a problem on clean, non-ringy sources and amps.

Andrew and Mark - better components definitely. I had ideas about a souped up TD150 - the existing top plate looking very sexy in an LP12 plinth... You must forgive me, I'm well out of that loop now, but I wonder how some arms we rejected all those years ago would perform on a better sub chassis arrangement such as this one... No doubt, time will tell :)

Rare Bird
13-03-2010, 18:41
Andre, I believe ES14's were used as speakers. Correctly set up, they should sound "lean" and NOT one-note boomy, as the later ones do if the foam port-bung is removed. The treble sparkle is a result of the one component crossover bringing them in late, the very slight tradeoff being a little sparkle which isn't a problem on clean, non-ringy sources and amps.

Andrew and Mark - better components definitely. I had ideas about a souped up TD150 - the existing top plate looking very sexy in an LP12 plinth... You must forgive me, I'm well out of that loop now, but I wonder how some arms we rejected all those years ago would perform on a better sub chassis arrangement such as this one... No doubt, time will tell :)

Yes they were 'ES14' on proper stands, well positioned as good as they can get in that too bigger room. Even though 'TD150' spring to mind with the 'LP12' sub they do not fit each other, they are fractionally out...

DSJR
13-03-2010, 18:50
The TD150 top plate exactly fits an LP12 plinth, the only real difference being the arm-board widths (I've seen it expertly done). The suspension fixings are in the same place, but the platters are a fraction different in sizes and fit (so are early and late LP12 platter fits, but we won't go there today ;) ).

I sold my ES14's to go the ATC route - SCM20's in 1993. The ATC's "did it" if they were given a zillion watts per channel, but the Epos 14's sounded so magical on the Quad II's I now own I'm feeling nostalgic, as the II's don't care overmuch for the benign, but rollercoaster loading of the Spendors (30+ Ohms at 1.5KHz approx).

Rare Bird
13-03-2010, 19:04
The TD150 top plate exactly fits an LP12 plinth, the only real difference being the arm-board widths (I've seen it expertly done). The suspension fixings are in the same place, but the platters are a fraction different in sizes and fit (so are early and late LP12 platter fits, but we won't go there today ;) ).

No The 'TD150' sub is a fraction out on an 'LP12' top plate & visa versa.I've tried it dave

Well isnt the ES14 key the lack of crossover well nearly..Mr Audiomaster Rob Marshall is a genius afterall..I quite like the Monitor Audio '352' he did aswell, not too fussed about the smaller MA speaker he did (forget the model)

YNWaN
13-03-2010, 20:00
Andrew changed to ES14's after hearing mine - however, mine (like most of what I use) are non standard in a number of ways (none of my own system came to the show). The ES14 uses one X-over component - a capacitor to the tweeter. The bass driver is directly coupled to the amplifier.

In truth, the amplification used was very non-standard Naim. The pre-amp is heavily reworked, neither of the power supplies used were actually Hi-Caps (although housed in Naim cases) and the power amp is based on Naim power amps boards but otherwise different.

We have had manufactured exact copies of the Naim CB/Olive cases (Naim are fine with this) and, once the paint is sorted, these will be available for building projects etc.

YNWaN
14-03-2010, 10:10
I had ideas about a souped up TD150 - the existing top plate looking very sexy in an LP12 plinth... You must forgive me, I'm well out of that loop now, but I wonder how some arms we rejected all those years ago would perform on a better sub chassis arrangement such as this one... No doubt, time will tell :)

Well, the only issue I see with your 'souped up TD150' idea is that an LP12 is essentially just that. By the time you have upgraded all the relevant parts you may as well just have bought a second hand Linn.

I think quite a lot of cartridge and arm 'perceived wisdom' has been arrived at without taking into full account the contribution of the deck. The deck really does make a huge difference to how arms and cartridges perform. For example - it is a popular belief that the Aro arm is slightly soft at the frequency extremes - but it doesn't sound at all like that on my deck.

It did make me smile when a contributor on another forum claimed that he could hear the characteristic contribution of Andrew's Ittok at Scalford Hall :lol:.

DSJR
14-03-2010, 11:15
I used to find the ARO rather bright and "splashy" sounding myself, with a slightly "squidgey" bass - and this view based on several examples set up and w@nked over by our resident Naim freak.... Certainly, the supplied exit cables play a part in whatever "character" the arm may or may not have, but it was fifteen years or so before I had a small part in setting one up on a brand new Cirkussed LP12 - it sounded spectacular with the current issue deck, the splat and squidge banished to be replaced by a natural sense of life and and "freedom" I find missing in the Ekos varients myself..

A shame we can't all meet up for discussions over a pint or three. Typing a reply is fraut with misunderstandings and one-off comments taken out of proportion... :)

YNWaN
14-03-2010, 12:18
Yes indeed, it is that very 'life and freedom' that you refer to that I find so appealing - also the apparent space between instruments and how competing instrumental lines stand separate and do not modulate each other.

I think there are a couple of problems fitting an Aro to an LP12. Firstly, the arm cable is very awkward being separate cables for Land R - although not as stiff as some it is still relatively difficult to dress well. Secondly, the Aro is a surprisingly light arm and I have found in the past that this can actually make the suspension more difficult to get set up correctly. In addition, it is quite sensitive to minor adjustments in bias, azimuth and tracking weight. Of course, being a unipivot, it is also very sensitive to the platter being level.

A shame we can't all meet up for discussions over a pint or three. Typing a reply is fraut with misunderstandings and one-off comments taken out of proportion... :)

Yes indeed, unfortunately I don't think we live very close to each other :(.

DSJR
14-03-2010, 13:59
We don't sadly... :(

Rare Bird
14-03-2010, 14:37
have we got a price for this sub or not or is it top secret ;)

YNWaN
14-03-2010, 15:32
Well, it's not been finalised yet, but is likely to be in the area of £1000 (I can't see it being any less).

Rare Bird
14-03-2010, 16:35
:lolsign:

Joking aside how much are they?

YNWaN
14-03-2010, 18:25
Presumably you are aware that the Keel is £2.4K?

--------------------------------

I'm curious ('curiouser and curiouser' in fact) as to why you even ask Andre - you don't own an LP12 (and as far as I am aware have no intention of buying one)? In fact, you don't even seem to own a turntable.

Rare Bird
14-03-2010, 19:18
You are serious!

Rare Bird
14-03-2010, 20:41
Good luck with em anyway ;)

YNWaN
14-03-2010, 22:55
Many thanks :)

flatpopely
28-03-2010, 20:16
You are serious!

Its an expensive thing to make!

flatpopely
14-04-2010, 22:38
My deck is at Cymbiosis tomorrow to compare it to a Keel deck!

chris@panteg
15-04-2010, 00:19
Crunch time then Andrew ' all the best and hope it go's well :)

DSJR
15-04-2010, 08:37
Hope you get a fair hearing from "The Guru..........." I know them well....

YNWaN
15-04-2010, 17:52
Yep - just got back - was there nearly 7 hours, so a pretty fair hearing I would say :).

I'm very (VERY) pleased with the response the RubiKon Received :) :) :).

DSJR
15-04-2010, 18:12
Thank heavens for that :)

:king:

flatpopely
15-04-2010, 22:18
Mark has designed something quite extraordinary for the LP12!

As Peter from Cymbiosis said 'At the price it's a no brainer'.

Form an orderly queue at Cymbiosis!

DSJR
16-04-2010, 06:29
He's not the "only" LP12 setter-upper you know............... ;)

But he IS the currently most influential I think and does an "adequate" job in his LP12 setup :lol:

YNWaN
16-04-2010, 21:36
He's not the "only" LP12 setter-upper you know............... ;)

No, perhaps not.........but he is the 'only' one we went to see this week ;)

chris@panteg
17-04-2010, 17:03
Hi Mark

i read the Linn thread earlier ' congratulations on a positive outcome , and can i say i was impressed by the clever thinking behind the design especially the constrained layer damping.

And when Andrew demonstrated to me the different frequencies the main component parts resonate at ' i thought that's some clever engineering there and it makes sense ! even to an old idiot like me:) .

YNWaN
17-04-2010, 17:40
Many thanks Chris - we shall see (unfortunately not everybody has your generosity of spirit - still, that's life) :)

I see the 'politics' of the audio world is already becoming evident - some in an obvious sense; some less so.

flatpopely
17-04-2010, 17:53
Indeed. I can no longer post on the NAIM forum.

chris@panteg
17-04-2010, 18:51
Recent events ' have quite frankly dismayed me but i don't want to discuss them here .

i say keep going with it ' because i believe there is a place in the market for your product ! and i think open minded LP12 user's will be keen to hear it .

Edit ' i say this as a former LP12 owner myself for 13 years .

flatpopely
17-04-2010, 19:05
Well the NAIM thing is that they dont allow reps or manufacturers on there but it was like a summary execution! I asked what the protocol was and the repsonse was that your not allowed to post on here anymore, goodbye.

I'm fine with that I just didn't know that the rules would remove me!

FWIW as far as the RubiKon is concerned its dealers like Cymbiosis that are key as we wont sell direct.

chris@panteg
17-04-2010, 19:24
Andrew its probably nothing personal ! just their way of doing things.

Peter's endorsement of your Rubycon will give it a greater chance of success as i see it ,
as he is so respected ! i think a very wise move to do it this way , going it alone without any such cooperation and i think it would be a bit of a struggle .

But i think you knew that ! .

YNWaN
17-04-2010, 19:41
As you may know, there was a time when I was a Linn/Naim dealer (promoting the 'axis of evil' as some would see it ;)) and I saw a lot of badly set up LP12's. Whilst it's not inherently difficult to set up an LP12 well it's amazing how mechanically challenged a lot of people are (sometimes they just don't realise how little understanding they have). of course this is certainly not true of everybody but, in general, fitting a new chassis of this type is not a five minute job and many would feel more confident if a (good) dealer did it for them - not to mention the fact that they could actually audition it before committing themselves.

DSJR
17-04-2010, 20:00
Peter's decks were always set up very well IMO, even if I didn't always agree with his recommended cartridge choice (only once, and it's very ancient history now, but the memory still burns me)...... ;)

The LP12 is a very simple structure on the whole, but pre-85 ones were pigs of the finest order when new "out of the box." By now, those horrors should have been sorted, but they could try the patience of a saint. New ones seemed to fall together by comparison.

YNWaN
17-04-2010, 21:41
Yes I quite agree - newer ones (LP12's that is) are very much easier to set up (and the setup is vastly more stable) than those old ones.

YNWaN
22-05-2010, 12:49
I've just been doing a bit more work on the RubiKon for Aro (which now looks likely to appear sooner rather than later) and am pleased with a couple of tweaks that should prove worthwhile (including a nice touch I think to help isolate the armrest from the rest of the armboard :)).

I've also catered for potential fitting of the Aromatic but admit that I am very much in two minds with regard to this aspect - the Aromatic hasn't been made in so long and, even then, I've only ever fitted a couple - is it worth including?

I'm very optimistic that the RubiKon plus Aro will prove to be a srtrong combination showing both in their best light.

chris@panteg
22-05-2010, 17:31
Hi Mark

A Rubikon LP12 and ARO is a combination that i would like to hear , should prove very interesting to the Naimee's i would have thought !.

YNWaN
22-05-2010, 19:32
Ah yes, thanks Chris - as you suggest it's all very Naimee related in terms of interest and not very 'Art of Sound'; but, you know, I am a bit of an old Naimee at heart (not in a 'no matter what' sort of way but there certainly is an element of it in my structure ;))

DSJR
22-05-2010, 20:07
I now think (as I've been away from the bloody things for some years), that a sensibly well fettled LP12 really is a great sounding turntable, for all the right reasons.

I should add that all those before 70*** or so should have new plinths and their used costs should take advantage of this. I'd also say that any of around 75*** - 80*** should have their main bearings checked as there was an awful batch of bad thrust plates (most should have been replaced by now) and a load of others that were borderline (saved in part by the "black" oil).

I think I'd love the chance to hear a fairly modern LP12 with RubiKon and suitable supply, in the hope that the good things have been retained, but with far better "HiFi!"

flatpopely
22-05-2010, 22:38
Dave.

You are welcome anytime!

Andrew.

flatpopely
22-05-2010, 22:48
Hi Mark

A Rubikon LP12 and ARO is a combination that i would like to hear , should prove very interesting to the Naimee's i would have thought !.

The RubiKon Aro combo might just turn out to be a stunning combo.

YNWaN
22-05-2010, 22:50
Well, I don't know Dave. The sound of the LP12 has very much moved in a direction that I prefer but it would seem that his is not a universally held opinion (what in hi-fi ever is).

A recent thread on pfm had recordings from both a pre-Cirkus and post-Cirkus LP12. What surprised me was that some people were keen to promote the concept that A/ no difference could be heard and, B/ if there was a difference the pre-Cirkus was better. Now obviously there is a horrendous slip in logical thought here (A and B are identical but A is better) but, more worrying for me, I thought that the two recordings sounded quite obviously different and that the post-Cirkus bearing was better in every way. Those people who honestly preferred the pre-Cirkus bearing need to listen to systems that are significantly more linear and discriminating in the bass. Certainly the qualities I aspire to achieving seem to be very different to the one note drone (poetic exaggeration) that I hear from those older LP12's.

flatpopely
23-05-2010, 00:16
I assume you like the bass from my LP12?

Rare Bird
23-05-2010, 05:35
I think I'd love the chance to hear a fairly modern LP12 with RubiKon

I sat a good half hour listerning to one, tis great thing

YNWaN
23-05-2010, 06:08
I assume you like the bass from my LP12?

Yes indeed, as I said, the sound of the LP12 has very much moved closer to my idea of high fidelity reproduction over the last ten years or so.

P.S. Thanks Andre :).

DSJR
23-05-2010, 17:45
Andrew, the needle drops I've heard (not all you've posted by any means) sound very good indeed to me :)

There was a preference in some quarters for the spot-welded sub-chassis too - usually by Kan owners who needed the bloat to give them some semblance of bass..

Like I've said hundreds of times, Linn KNOW what the original should sound like and I do support that all the LP12 updates they've done has been to close the gap. I also maintain that the Spacedeck got there more than twenty years ago, but that's not being mean, as there are many thousands of LP12's out there that NEED sorting out IMO.

Such a shame that Linn charge so much for their expertise these days - and how wonderful for you that they do :lol:

flatpopely
26-05-2010, 10:42
I sat a good half hour listerning to one, tis great thing

Glad you liked it!

chris@panteg
26-05-2010, 11:16

Hi Andrew

I think i am won over by the ARO vs the Ekos ' it could be where the Rubikon takes off if the 2 really gel as i believe they will :) .

chris@panteg
26-05-2010, 11:20
Andrew, the needle drops I've heard (not all you've posted by any means) sound very good indeed to me :)

There was a preference in some quarters for the spot-welded sub-chassis too - usually by Kan owners who needed the bloat to give them some semblance of bass..

Like I've said hundreds of times, Linn KNOW what the original should sound like and I do support that all the LP12 updates they've done has been to close the gap. I also maintain that the Spacedeck got there more than twenty years ago, but that's not being mean, as there are many thousands of LP12's out there that NEED sorting out IMO.

Such a shame that Linn charge so much for their expertise these days - and how wonderful for you that they do :lol:

Dave ' i said it before but no harm in repeating it , the Spacedeck is a great deck for the money ' and if i ever get tired of all this Technics DD malarkey,
A Spacedeck with my 309 :rolleyes: .

Marco
26-05-2010, 11:30
Hi Chris,

I think that a fully-fettled Techy would (without too much trouble) smoke a Spacedeck - so stay true to the sacred path, brovva ;)

Marco.

flatpopely
26-05-2010, 11:34
Hi Andrew

I think i am won over by the ARO vs the Ekos ' it could be where the Rubikon takes off if the 2 really gel as i believe they will :) .

Once the first batch of RubiKons sell (hopefully) we will be in a position to get some RubiKons for Aro made. I will get an ARO and knowing the strengths of both it could prove to be a lot greater than the sum of its parts :)

Marco
26-05-2010, 11:34
Hi Andrew,

No doubt - I look forward to hearing it on the 30th July... You don't mind if my good lady tags along too, do you? We'll be popping to yours after we've done some shopping in York, and then later retiring to The Star Inn :cool:

Marco.

flatpopely
26-05-2010, 11:38
Hi Andrew,

No doubt - I look forward to hearing it on the 30th July... You don't mind if my good lady tags along too, do you? We'll be popping to yours after we've done some shopping in York, and then later retiring to The Star Inn :cool:

Marco.

Hi Marco.

No probs. Are you still wanting to bring your deck or do you just want to have a listen to mine and chill with a beer bearing in mind you will have the good lady in tow and you will want to get back to the Star?

Not sure if I will have the Aro on or not at that point.

Andrew.

Marco
26-05-2010, 11:47
Hi Andrew,

No probs. Are you still wanting to bring your deck or do you just want to have a listen to mine and chill with a beer bearing in mind you will have the good lady in tow and you will want to get back to the Star?

Yup, I'm still bringing the deck (if that's ok). Don't worry, Del's well used to nerdy hi-fi shenanigans, so that won't be a problem! :eyebrows:

We don't need to be at it for ages though. After that, we can chill and just enjoy some music on your system.

I'd like you to needle-drop the Techy though, and use the files (and post them on the thread on pfm) to compare against the other T/Ts arriving the following day, if you don't mind? :)

I'll bring some interesting choons! I think it'd be good for the Techy to be included in the main bake-off results, for reference, even though I won't be there.....

Not sure if I will have the Aro on or not at that point.

No worries - I'm sure I can 'slum it' with the Ittok! ;)

Marco.

flatpopely
26-05-2010, 11:55
Hi Andrew,

Yup, I'm still bringing the deck (if that's ok). Don't worry, Del's well used to nerdy hi-fi shenanigans, so that won't be a problem! :eyebrows:

We don't need to be at it for ages though. After that, we can chill and just enjoy some music on your system.

I'd like you to needle-drop the Techy though, and use the files (and post them on the thread on pfm) to compare against the other T/Ts arriving the following day, if you don't mind? :)

I'll bring some interesting choons! I think it'd be good for the Techy to be included in the main bake-off results, for reference, even though I won't be there.....

No worries - I'm sure I can 'slum it' with the Ittok! ;)

Marco.

OK, I'll make sure I get the phono stage off Guy for the Friday night. I'm happy to record some needledrops of your deck.

Slum it with an Ittok, effin liberty :eyebrows:

Marco
26-05-2010, 11:59
Hehehe.... Nice one, dude - look forward to it :cool:

Marco.

DSJR
26-05-2010, 18:59
Hi Chris,

I think that a fully-fettled Techy would (without too much trouble) smoke a Spacedeck - so stay true to the sacred path, brovva ;)

Marco.

A fully-fettled Techie would cost more than a friggin' HYPERSPACE Marco. Sorry mate, it has to be said.....

Anyway, you haven't even heard a Spacedeck :scratch: - they're special - VERY special, believe me.

Marco
26-05-2010, 19:47
No doubt, Dave.... I just love the sound of D/D done (exceptionally) well, so I very much doubt that I'd entertain using a belt-drive T/T again, no matter how good it was. Once you 'tune into' what D/D does well, and love it, there no going back. Others may feel the opposite way, and that's fine.

It's just a matter of personal preference :)

Marco.

flatpopely
26-05-2010, 20:47
Marco.

Let's see what you think after hearing a RubiKon LP12 :)

Andrew.

Marco
26-05-2010, 20:59
Indeed - and I'm really looking forward to it, Andrew :cool:

Marco.

flatpopely
26-05-2010, 21:33
So am I.

Marco
26-05-2010, 22:11
What phono stage are you getting from Guy, Andrew?

Marco.

flatpopely
27-05-2010, 06:30
P10 with SUT.

Marco
27-05-2010, 08:26
Nice one. I've heard both, and they are superb. I can also plug my A23 SUT into the P10 (a combination I'd like to hear), and it saves me having to bring the Croft :)

Marco.

flatpopely
27-05-2010, 08:33
Hi Marco.

Yes please do. I'll record that to to see if there is a difference between SUTs.

Andrew.

Marco
27-05-2010, 09:04
That would certainly be interesting... It'll come down to synergy with cartridge and phono stage matching, I think. I really liked the T10 when I used it in my system, but I had an early sample which wasn't yet the finished article.

You can also show me how to do this needle-drop malarkey properly. I'd like to get my head around it so I can do it myself here, as there are a number of people who've asked me to needle-drop my SL-1210 :)

Once I know how to do it, the thread you started on the subject will really come alive! ;)

Marco.

flatpopely
27-05-2010, 10:10
That would certainly be interesting... It'll come down to synergy with cartridge and phono stage matching, I think. I really liked the T10 when I used it in my system, but I had an early sample which wasn't yet the finished article.

You can also show me how to do this needle-drop malarkey properly. I'd like to get my head around it so I can do it myself here, as there are a number of people who've asked me to needle-drop my SL-1210 :)

Once I know how to do it, the thread you started on the subject will really come alive! ;)

Marco.

OK Marco.

Happy to show you what I do.

Andrew.

YNWaN
27-05-2010, 11:13

I hope so cos it's pretty quiet now :(.

Marco
27-05-2010, 12:42
Watch it fly, Mark, as soon as people are given a chance to hear what my Techy sounds like! :eyebrows:

Marco.

YNWaN
11-06-2010, 19:09
A sample received from the manufacturer today :)

Here is an anodised engraved armboard! More (and better quality) pics soon....

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/AudioFlat/Samples/DSC_4720-1.jpg

Hi Res pic link:-

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/AudioFlat/Samples/DSC_4728.jpg

(I'm just going to make a tiny adjustment to the K and then I'm happy)

Marco
11-06-2010, 22:51
Looks very professional, Mark - nice one. I hope it does well for you :cool:

Marco.

YNWaN
11-06-2010, 23:52
Many thanks - fingers crossed :). Still a couple of things to resolve but 95% there.

flatpopely
15-06-2010, 21:31
Just sent the samples to Mark. Once he had decided upon the best one it's systems go! Could be as little as two months now for the first batch to be delivered.

flatpopely
26-10-2010, 19:37
New website up and running!

Andrew.

P.S Marco, I still need to hear your deck in my system :)

Marco
28-10-2010, 15:17
Hi Andrew,

P.S Marco, I still need to hear your deck in my system :)

Indeed - and I'd like to hear it, too (and yours) in your system sometime before Xmas... But the question is when, as I'm up to my eyes in it... :rolleyes:

Perhaps PM me with a few suitable dates, and I'll see if there is any I can fit in? :cool:

Marco.

YNWaN
24-11-2010, 22:41
Andrew has done a load of work on the website: www.audioflat.co.uk

It now includes a number of pictures of the RuBikon chassis being CNC machined:

http://www.audioflat.co.uk/library/Chassis%20in%20manufacture.jpg

http://www.audioflat.co.uk/library/Chassis%20in%20manufacture%202.jpg

http://www.audioflat.co.uk/library/Armboard%20in%20manufacture.jpg

YNWaN
23-01-2011, 14:04
OK - the first two full production samples have been delivered and I am delighted with the results. The quality of machining is absolutely beyond reproach. I really like the black anodised brushed finish too. There are a few extra components that need to be done for the Aro version and these are really nicely made.

A few pics:

http://www.audioflat.co.uk/library/Aro%20under.jpg

http://www.audioflat.co.uk/library/aro%20under%20closeup.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Linnarmboarddetail.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/LinnArmboardabstract.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Aroheadshellandlogodetail.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/wholeLinnchassis.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Aroheadshelldetail.jpg

Rare Bird
23-01-2011, 14:34
Wow! that looks superb

YNWaN
23-01-2011, 14:40
Many, many thanks - it has been a huge amount of work, but I am genuinely pleased with the results - everything fits just as it should. I fitted a Naim Aro to one yesterday and it all came together just as I had hoped, with a lovely feel of precision to the process.

MartinT
23-01-2011, 15:58
Seriously impressive CNC machining and finish.

Rare Bird
23-01-2011, 16:01
Aye makes those techies look like toyz :lol:

:sofa:

Marco
23-01-2011, 16:41
Lol!

WOW, serious respect, Mark - top job!! :eek:

So how much is that lot likely to skin the devoted LP12 fan? :)

Marco.

YNWaN
23-01-2011, 17:08
It costs £1250 - fitted by the dealer. All components required to achieve a perfect installation are supplied with each unit. Remember, this is not available direct from AudioFlat or via mail order (the internet) - it can only be purchased from an authorised dealer. At present, there are two UK dealers; Cymbiosis (http://www.cymbiosis.com and StudioAV (http://www.studioav.co.uk)

I am indeed delighted by the quality of machining, fabrication and finishing. These guys do a lot of work for the military and are used to dealing with demanding clients :).

Absolutely no effort has been spared in the quest to achieve the highest build quality allied to the highest sound quality.

Marco
23-01-2011, 17:12
Well, Mark, I'd say, given the quality on offer, that's a bargain - especially considering what Linn charge for their obscenely overpriced effort! ;)

I admire your meticulous attention to detail, so good luck with it :)

Marco.

YNWaN
23-01-2011, 17:25
Many thanks Marco - half the work has been getting the detail right - I've done dozens of drawings stipulating exact construction methods etc. and the manufacturers have worked very closely to get the result we wanted (this is built by their 'Special Projects' department). As Martin said, this is 100% CNC (computer) machined and was specifically designed to make full use of this level of machining capability - without access to millions of pounds of equipment, it just isn't possible to manufacture to this standard; it simply could not be made in a home workshop.

Alex_UK
23-01-2011, 18:25
Seriously impressive Mark - good luck with it.

Reid Malenfant
23-01-2011, 18:34
Ah, at last the Avatar makes sense :doh: Looks like a work of art to me, form & function in one :)

Lovely bit of engineering, i hope you do well out of it ;)

YNWaN
23-01-2011, 19:10
Many thanks gents - fingers crossed :).

YNWaN
23-01-2011, 19:27
Three more - a shame that most of it will be hidden inside the turntable.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Arochassispartangle.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/wholeArochassis.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/wholeLinnchassistop.jpg

(the floor of my dining room makes quite a nice background :))

DSJR
23-01-2011, 19:45
That looks so beautiful with an ARO fitted.

YNWaN
23-01-2011, 20:04
Yes, I think it looks nice too Dave. It really sounds good with one as well, incisive and brutal when required, or lyrical and delicate, as the music dictates. There are some nice touches to the Aro version too, like the way the armrest fits and the beautifully machined spacer for the arm collar.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Aroarmspacer.jpg

DSJR
23-01-2011, 20:25
I hated the ARO at the time, but now feel the LP12 wasn't up to it.

flatpopely
23-01-2011, 20:56
I hated the ARO at the time, but now feel the LP12 wasn't up to it.

The picture is of my ARO and Rubikon for ARO subchassis. I think my deck will be up to it :)

YNWaN
23-01-2011, 21:04
Yup, the next time this combo is photographed it will be fitted to your deck - I can't wait :).

chris@panteg
23-01-2011, 23:17
Hi Mark/Andrew

Looks very impressive , it does look like a work of art compared to the standard version .

flatpopely
23-01-2011, 23:38
Andre.

It's where its supposed to be, data supplied by NAIM.

In the flesh it just gives me the h..(better not go there).

First track to be played will be 'Strip the Soul' on newly issued 180gm blue vinyl.

Clive
24-01-2011, 09:00
Really great job!

It looks like Audi engineering to me - they make the parts you can't see just as well as the parts you can see. Whereas BMW 'value engineer' anything you're not supposed to see.

Indeed it is a shame it'll be hidden.

Rare Bird
24-01-2011, 10:20
I love folk who pay attention to fine detail inside aswell as out..That black brushed finish looks real class.

YNWaN
24-01-2011, 11:00
Thanks guys, funnily enough, I believe the guys who machined it do make some parts for Audi.

I'm really obsessive about detail - the brushed finish does look nice in the flesh - super neat and even - there are no machining marks even though a lot of machining has been done.

YNWaN
12-02-2011, 12:31
Latest News:

The first production sample of the RubiKon has been delivered to Peter Swain at Cymbiosis.

http://www.cymbiosis.com/home2.html

The next one has been promised to Derek Jenkins at StudioAV

Marco
12-02-2011, 13:28
Nice little shop, that... Good luck with it all Mark. You're doing things the right way, so I'm sure it'll be a very good success! :cool:

Marco.

MCRU
12-02-2011, 15:16
I don't and will never own a Linn only cos I got no money left now but the part looks fantastic, it reminds me of my Oyaide turntable mat, an exquisite piece of engineering that is invisible when in use but you can certainly hear it's benefits!

YNWaN
12-02-2011, 16:31
Cheers, Marco, we shall just have to see now - I've done all that I can to make it the best it can possibly be, all the prototyping and development have been done. All I've got to do now is finish the Rega version - then it's time to move on to the next project.

For me, dealer sales is the only way to go - prospective customers can get a proper demonstration and make up their own minds, then they can have it fitted by someone who actually knows what they are doing.

David, I'm not likely to own a Technics either :) - To be honest, I've got my own ideas with regards to plater mats and record clamps. In fact, I've got a nifty little clamp idea I'm having prototyped now.

Alex_UK
12-02-2011, 17:16
Good luck with the sales Mark.

Rare Bird
12-02-2011, 18:02
yes good luck they look really well

YNWaN
12-02-2011, 19:29
Many thanks chaps - hugely appreciated. The whole thing started off as a bit of fun for me - Andrew wanted a 'super' chassis for his LP12 and I had a lot of opinions/ideas on how it should be (but then I always do ;)) - the initial prototypes were most encouraging and one thing led to another......

Reid Malenfant
12-02-2011, 19:31
It's almost a work of art - in a way it's a damn shame it's being hidden away :doh:

Also wishing you all the best sales wise Mark :)

YNWaN
12-02-2011, 19:51
Thanks Mark - for me, good design is very much a holistic exercise (sorry, that sounds desperately 'new age'). Unfortunately, not only would the plinth have to be transparent, but the deck would have to be upside down to get the full visual benefit. At least the owner will know that the beauty isn't just skin deep :).

flatpopely
12-02-2011, 20:51
I love folk who pay attention to fine detail inside aswell as out..That black brushed finish looks real class.

Andre.

If you want to see one in the flesh, get yourself to flatpopely towers within the next couple of weeks and you can see the ARO version before it's fitted to my deck.

Andrew.

P.S. Thanks for the kind comments. Peter at Cymbiosis had a big smile on his face when he had a RubiKon in his hands :)

flatpopely
20-02-2011, 23:42
O.M.G!

Just fitted the Aro and Rubikon (production version) to my deck.

It's truly wonderful!

Andrew.

Rare Bird
20-02-2011, 23:47
lets have a look Andy :)

Marco
21-02-2011, 07:20
Sounds great, Andrew. I presume you're bringing your deck to Scalford Hall?

Andre and you should definitely hook up, as you're not far from each other :)

Marco.

YNWaN
21-02-2011, 09:24
Afraid not Marco, both Andrew and myself will be at Scalford, but none of our equipment will be. To be honest. the DIY biased customer that is attracted to shows like Scalford are unlikely to be interested in a dealer fit item like the RubiKon and it is supposed to be non-trade only.

Marco
21-02-2011, 10:19
Hi Mark,

No worries - I understand :)

If you get time though, please drop by our room and have a proper listen to the Techy (and the rest of the system), rather than the 10 minute snatch you managed the last time late on the Sunday, and bring some familiar music with you.

It would be nice to meet you again, and of course, Andrew :cool:

Marco.

DSJR
21-02-2011, 10:59
So Andrew has finally discovered (;)) the joys of an ARO on an LP12 eh?

YNWaN
21-02-2011, 12:21

Yes he has (I may have guided/pointed him hough) :). In fact, I've just got off the phone with him and he is all 'jumping excited' by the sound he is now getting (he's supposed to be doing boring AuioFlat paperwork, but keeps nipping off to listen to records). Andrew brought his LP12 to my house at the weekend, so that I could fit the production standard RubiKon and his new Aro - the RubiKon actually proved extremely easy to fit and it took very little effort to get just the bounce I wanted. After it was fitted the deck was taken to my listening room and plugged into the system. Dave, I honestly think you would have reconsidered your negative opinion of the Aro if you had heard what I heard = it genuinely did sound absolutely excellent; real attack and drive, with quite remarkable timing - no hint of hardness, but detailed and extended at both frequency extremes.

Marco, will definitely be popping into your room for a chat and a proper listen :).

YNWaN
21-02-2011, 14:19
Andre, I think Andrew has taken a couple of pics now - no doubt he will soon post them :).

flatpopely
21-02-2011, 21:30
Hi Marco.

I'll bring In Absentia by Porcupine Tree. Strip the Soul should test the techy!

Andrew.

flatpopely
21-02-2011, 21:35

I have.

Ittok was superb. ARO has removed the last bit of hi fi in the sound. It now just sounds like music.

YNWaN
17-04-2011, 11:57
Well, I've just spent the last 20 hours updating all the paperwork and files needed to produce the RubiKon - all 27 pages of it, seven septate documents (this does not include the DXF CAM files actually needed to make the parts).

Now I've got to do the same for the Rega armboard. I/we have decided to do two separate armboards - one for actual Rega arms and will have three threaded holes for the arm base to attach (mounting hardware will be supplied), the other board will suit older Rega arms and Rega mount arms like the DPS and Roksan Nima etc.

I'll only have to do another 9 (or 13) drawings to go with those!!!!!!!!!

It seems to me that some people think that this 'designing' lark just requires a bit of wishful thinking and 5 minutes doodling on the back of a fag packet with a crayon - perhaps that is true for some.

Rare Bird
17-04-2011, 12:56
It's not a breeze your right, It's obvious to a blind man you have put a lot of work into this project & withouht a shadow of a doubt you deserve to be sucessfull.

Good luck to yourself & Andrew

YNWaN
17-04-2011, 13:14
Cheers Andre :)

The first customer has now bought one (not including dealers) and has it at home (I think it has been fitted) - he seems to like it, so hooray. However, it's not been designed by committee to conform to some hypothetical customers ideal of what 'good sound' is like; it's been designed by me, to sound the way I think 'good sound' sounds like. I thought I had a pretty good handle on the sound of the LP12 - but when Andrew brought his LP12 over to my house recently (for me to fit the latest production spec RubiKon and his new ARO) I plugged it into my system and was genuinely surprised how good it sounded (not at all how detractors of the LP12 claim it sounds).

Marco
17-04-2011, 18:47
Hi Mark,

I'm pleased things are taking off for you now - long may it continue. You (and Andrew) deserve a return on all the hard work you've put into this project! :cool:

Marco.

YNWaN
19-04-2011, 15:07
Ah bliss :) Callooh, Callay, oh frabjous day! Have finally finished the drawings for the Rega mount options - 11 individual technical drawings and 5 associated documents (not including actually designing it and the CAD files to make it). So, am I rushing to do an SME option - no, I blooming well am not!

YNWaN
10-06-2011, 10:48
So, to update:

The bad news: No sooner had our manufacturers produced a sample RubiKon chassis than they ground to a halt and finally admitted that they were incapable of making any number to the required standard! Inevitably, and very frustratingly, this has caused delay.

The good news: I found another manufacturer who was able to do the manufacture to a higher standard and who also had the in-house capability to do the anodising (to a very high standard). This manufacturer already makes components for one of the most highly regarded manufacturers of hi-fi. In the course of this change, the finish is now fine linished, media blasted and then hard anodised black. The packaging has also been custom designed and manufactured. The RubiKon will now be supplied in a clamshell box fully encapsulated by a custom cut foam insert.

Delivery of the first batch (Linn and Naim ARO versions) will be the 17th June (next week).
Rega versions will be in the next batch (I have already designed these).

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/RubiKonrenderedboxJPEG.jpg

YNWaN
30-06-2011, 09:43
Update:

At long last, the first batch of RubiKon chassis' have been delivered and are being despatched to dealers.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/AudioFlat/RubiKon%20shipment/P1010377-1.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/AudioFlat/RubiKon%20shipment/P1010383-1.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/AudioFlat/RubiKon%20shipment/P1010380-1.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/AudioFlat/RubiKon%20shipment/P1010382-1.jpg

At present, both Linn arm fit and Naim ARO arm fit are available.

Rega versions will be produced in the next batch (numbers yet to be decided).

UK dealers receiving product are:

Cymbiosis http://www.cymbiosis.com/
StudioAV http://www.studioav.co.uk/
Audio Republic http://www.audio-republic.co.uk/

Everything required to get the very best from ones RubiKon fitted LP12 is supplied.

It is unlikely that this thread will be updated further. If you are interested in auditioning a RubiKon, I would suggest you contact one of the dealers above. If you have any enquiries regarding the RubiKon (or AudioFlat), I would suggest an email to:

info@audioflat.co.uk

or via the AudioFlat forum:

http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php

Further information is available from the AudioFlat website www.audioflat.co.uk

Marco
30-06-2011, 10:02
Nice work, Mark - looks very professional. Good luck with it! :)

Marco.

YNWaN
30-06-2011, 11:40
Thanks Marco, the lighting in the pics is not the best (taken in Andrew's office I think). To be honest, it's been like giving birth to a reluctant child (umm..I imagine). Still, at least I've had the benefit of having complete control over all aspects :), as I designed all the logo's, the box, wrote the instructions, designed the accessories and, oh yes, the actual RubiKon chassis itself :). (not including fabricating the prototypes).

YNWaN
15-11-2011, 12:14
At long last the Rega arm mount version of the RubiKon is in production.

The same armboard allows fitting of both the older, single hole, style Rega mount and the newer, three holed outrigger, mount. As supplied the armboard is ready to fit the older style arm; if th newer mount is wanted, all you have to do is complete drilling the three 4mm holes - these holes are already part machined through on the back of the board, all that you have to do is drill through the final 1mm of aluminium (with a sharp drill) - very easy and guaranteed alignment.

The diagrams below show how to use the suppled arm mounting collar with both the newer Rega arm mount and the older Rega mount. The collar is made in such a way that it maximises contact pressure and applies it in a controlled manner.

If the newer mount is used then the three M4 screws (supplied), pass through the holes in the armboard and screw into the arm mounting collar. If the older older style of arm is used, then the aluminium arm collar is still used but the large arm mounting nut is tightened against it. It is important that the correct face of the arm mounting collar makes contact with the underside of the armboard.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/fittingofRegaarmdiagram.jpg

Rare Bird
15-11-2011, 13:53
Very Clever

Well done..

YNWaN
15-11-2011, 14:31
Hi Andre, many thanks :). I'm quite pleased with the solution - it will certainly give a much better result than messing about with nuts and washers and will make the Rega easy to fit. Using just one board also means that if people change from an older fit arm (like an RB250) to one of the newer Rega arms, they won't have to buy a new armboard.

I've got another little Rega fit bit up my sleeve too :).

YNWaN
15-11-2011, 23:48
I have been asked to clarify the design of the arm mounting collar described above; I hope the below diagram makes it clear.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Regaarmcollardiagram2.jpg

NOTE: The top picture shows the surface that makes contact with the underside of the armboard.
The lower picture shows the collar turned upside down and shows the underside.