PDA

View Full Version : Do headphones need running in?

Covenant
26-12-2009, 10:14
I got a new pair of cheap headphones for xmas and so far have been disappointed with the sound; specifically the upper notes which sound harsh and strident. Will this improve over time?

Stratmangler
26-12-2009, 10:49
I got a new pair of cheap headphones for xmas and so far have been disappointed with the sound; specifically the upper notes which sound harsh and strident. Will this improve over time?

Possibly. You haven't specified the model of headphone - I'm sure that there are some out there that are beyond redemption;)

Headphones need to be run just as speakers do.

Chris:)

Spectral Morn
26-12-2009, 11:00

Yes.

My Grado GS1000, took quite awhile to run in and my first headphones Sennheiser HD560 MK2 Ovations took a long time to settle in.

Stick with them what you are hearing should go out of them in time. However what make are they?

Regards D S D L

Covenant
26-12-2009, 11:07
Hi chaps. They are Superlux HD681. Recommended by a few people on this forum.
I wasn't expecting much for the price but they are painful at the moment.

Spectral Morn
26-12-2009, 11:14
Hi chaps. They are Superlux HD681. Recommended by a few people on this forum.
I wasn't expecting much for the price but they are painful at the moment.

Can't help never heard of or heard these. PM who ever recommended them and ask how the sound changed for them as theirs ran in.

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
26-12-2009, 11:51
Yeah they do get a little better, not a great deal yet with mine, but mine were never painfull in the high end just a little sibilant - certainly nothing I would quibble about at the price!
Give them a bit more time, I left mine running over night with my 7520 playing through them, I found this gave me the improvments that I now have with them!
It would be a shame if you don't get on with them, I know dave is very happy with them, an I have been more than satisfied at the price point
do you know, there are a few different version? I wonder if we have a different version? Or indeed if the quality control is poor?
Let me know how you get on over the next week or so, I would happily post you mine on loan to make sure you just haven't got a duff pair! ...

The Vinyl Adventure
26-12-2009, 11:52
You have tinkered with your Beresford right jerry? Maybe it is that compared with my un tinkerd Beresford?

Edit: not to say your have done wrong to the Beresford, I'm just under the impression that different mods are more succesful with different head phones...

DSJR
26-12-2009, 11:58
PLEASE don't run your headphones in on your ears, as any nasty peaks could cause ear damage at those frequencies.

My HD25's have a peak at 4-5KHz and I played them quite loudly last Easter. I'm still suffering the consequences of this and it's amazing how the "peak" doesn't seem as bad now, probably becuae I've damaged my ears at this frequency, although before my current 'lurgy, they started to "sparkle" again and the BC2's came to life...

Remember, headphone modules are little more than sophisticated microphone elements and the diaphragms move by tiny amounts. Running in may not be an issue and a harsh 'phone may stay that way for hundreds of hours' use..

I'm told the Shure "Etymotics" perform well with a well integrated response

Covenant
26-12-2009, 12:22
You have tinkered with your Beresford right jerry? Maybe it is that compared with my un tinkerd Beresford?

Edit: not to say your have done wrong to the Beresford, I'm just under the impression that different mods are more succesful with different head phones...

I have tinkered Hamish but only Stan approved stuff-Wolson dac and op-amp change. I will leave them running for a few days to see if they improve. The version of the headphones I have is the bass tuned one (because I didnt read the blurb and clicked on the first one).
Its a shame if they dont improve because they are very comfy-I like the way they sit over your ear.
Maybe an op-amp change to the headphone circuit may help :scratch:

The Vinyl Adventure
26-12-2009, 12:36
Like I say, see how you get on... I don't know which pair I have, it seems a bit daft that there needs to be a choice, surly just one good set would suffice! Anyway let me know if you wanna take me up on the offer of a lend of mine, I'd be more than happy to do that!

Themis
27-12-2009, 22:20
Yes, headphones need run-in like speakers.
Nevertheless, never experienced a run-in which radically changed a headphone's sound from "unbearable" to "great"... :(

mercury1 (trolling as Dave K)
27-12-2009, 22:45
Hi Jerry,
I think you found the explanation yourself when you said that you ordered the bass tuned one. If they've tuned them to give a good low fequency response it makes sense (to me, but what do I know :lol: ), that with cheap headphones this means they've done something to lower the entire frequency response range - makes sense to me - anybody else??

Marco
27-12-2009, 23:39
Hi 'mercury1',

Remember this you wrote elsewhere:

Just in case anyone is interested, Morrison's Supermarket have black granite chopping boards, 400mm x 300mm x 12mm, on special offer, £2 below marked price of £9.99, i.e. £7.99 each. All faces except the bottom are polished and the bottom has 6 thin rubber(y) pads to avoid damage to worktops.
Will post in welcome area shortly.

Sorry to butt in, but you don't appear to have introduced yourself properly in our welcome area yet, giving your first name, basic location details, and a little about your system as I asked. Please do so A.S.A.P - cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Covenant
27-12-2009, 23:58
Hi Jerry,
I think you found the explanation yourself when you said that you ordered the bass tuned one. If they've tuned them to give a good low fequency response it makes sense (to me, but what do I know :lol: ), that with cheap headphones this means they've done something to lower the entire frequency response range - makes sense to me - anybody else??

Cant see that myself-the problem seems to be excessivly high frequency.

Puffin
28-12-2009, 08:26
Jerry. I have two pairs of these (I was lucky to win a pair on Rock-Grotto!) and I love them. They are not bright (or painful) to my ears. I did leave mine on repeat for about 12 hours initially with the volume too high to listen to normally. Mike on Rock-G reccommends you put them somewhere very warm (e.g next to a radiator) and put a cushion in between them and crank them as high as you can and leave them on repeat for a couple of days. He says to do this with all new 'phones.

Covenant
28-12-2009, 10:29
Like this you mean?

Puffin
28-12-2009, 13:26
I was thinking more like this :-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i239/saxonsex/Headcat.gif

Covenant
02-01-2010, 20:51
Well the tip about leaving them in a warm place on loud has worked; I can now wear them without grimacing in pain. Still a bit sibilant but maybe another week on high volume will sort them.

The Vinyl Adventure
02-01-2010, 21:26
I'm glad your getting there with them now buddy!