PDA

View Full Version : Spot the shiney thing

The Vinyl Adventure
23-12-2009, 11:36
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/ab102d34.jpg

Marco
23-12-2009, 12:20
Hahaha... Quality always eventually finds its rightful home :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

chris@panteg
23-12-2009, 12:28
it does look out of place though !

i do like that copper mmmm

The Vinyl Adventure
23-12-2009, 12:43
I was planning on keeping this under my hat til I had something to say about it... But when it turned up all shiney and coppery, I thought bugger it, it's needs to b posted!

Ali Tait
23-12-2009, 12:45
Whassat valve amp top center?

Jonboy
23-12-2009, 12:57
was that one of those presents to oneself that must be bought every year to justify spending the money because it's Christmas like

Rare Bird
23-12-2009, 13:04
Whassat valve amp top center?

TLA Fatman carbon i think

Spectral Morn
23-12-2009, 13:59
Hi Hamish

Very sad that one of Duncan's DAC,s has ended up....where ever that is?

At some point I would like to try one.

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
23-12-2009, 15:42
Hi Hamish

Very sad that one of Duncan's DAC,s has ended up....where ever that is?

At some point I would like to try one.

Regards D S D L

dont worry mate, it will be on my rack by the end of the day :)

----

its a fatman i tube.. its poopy

----

yes xmas present for me from me

Spectral Morn
23-12-2009, 16:06
dont worry mate, it will be on my rack by the end of the day :)

----

----

yes xmas present for me from me

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....I take it thats where you work :)

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
23-12-2009, 18:13
Well, I turn up there and they pay me... I wouldn't call it work really!!
I was gonna call the thread "diamond in the rough" but I didn't want to offend nad and monitor audio owners...i would have been more refering to the scanky surroundings more than the kit obviously...

Rare Bird
23-12-2009, 19:39

Carbon edition remember ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
23-12-2009, 21:29
The single shortest possition to put a bit of hifi equipment??

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/e958d08f.jpg

how does it sound?
Well it's prob unfair to comment properly isn't it? ... It's connected with shit cables and sat on top of a speaker... ...

That said, it sounds more bubbly than the majik ... And even in it's stupid position it doesn't sound anything close to bad, certainly on a par with the majik even where it is... It's bloody loud too

happy days of playing abaat with my new bits o kit in my new haas to come I thinks... I just need a certain digital interconnect now... Fecking post office!!

The Vinyl Adventure
23-12-2009, 21:36
Actually, it's brought life to the whole midband... It's quite impresive...
Hmm, I think I migh have dine a wise thing in buying this! If I am achiving what I am with it sat on top a fuckin speaker.. Well.. ..

Mike
23-12-2009, 22:12
[QUOTE=hamish;89292]http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/e958d08f.jpg
[QUOTE]

WTF!

I thought you were a 'photographer'! :lol::lol::lol:

John
23-12-2009, 22:13
It should be a great sounding DAC Duncan really knows his stuff I really like the DAC I bought of him and this is suppossed to have better caps so should sound even better
Hamish you gone through some radical changes over the last 6 months; so when are you going to get some great big Tannoys or some open baffles;)

The Vinyl Adventure
23-12-2009, 22:14
That's exactly why it's so shit! I can't be arsed all the time ... Enter the iPhone an photobucket app!!

The Vinyl Adventure
23-12-2009, 22:19
I'm sure the tannoys are luvly but I doubt very much il ever go down that road .. Way too big and although I'm sure better than my pmcs in some ways ... I like the balance of my pmcs too much! They work really really well with Anthony's amps!!

Rare Bird
23-12-2009, 22:52
Enter the iPhone an photobucket app!!

To be expected with any shite Apple product :lol:

:flasher:

The Vinyl Adventure
23-12-2009, 22:55
i have just looked at the photo on a big screen... ... ... yep, it realy is really really shit... still its only for ilistrative perpouses il get some pretty ones when im all set up next week

this dac is proper good

The Grand Wazoo
24-12-2009, 09:39
... still its only for ilistrative perpouses...

This is a phrase that always has me scratching my head!!
What is a photo for other than for illustrative purposes?

Sorry, if I'm coming across as being a grumpy, cantankerous pedant - not intended really! Just thinking aloud.................where's me coat?

Themis
24-12-2009, 09:48
Reminds me the other day I wanted to put a poster of a (very) beautiful woman somewhere.
As my wife asked (shocked) "What is THAT ?.
I answered "it is for illustrative purpose, only"....

I let you imagine the rest. :lol:

The Grand Wazoo
24-12-2009, 09:51
I let you imagine the rest. :lol:

.......does it still hurt?

Themis
24-12-2009, 09:56
.......does it still hurt?
... I avoided lobotomy and/or becoming deaf, but it was close. :D

The Vinyl Adventure
24-12-2009, 10:37
Some photo's are more than just ilustrastions... Or indeed less ... But i fear continuation of the sentence could result in some reet pretentious bullshite, and I ain't into that!
My point is I couldn't be arsed to do it properly... And the picture was to ilustrate the position of the dac on the speaker, not to show you whatthe kit looks like.. As you have all seen it all before .... So there, mr grump!!

Rare Bird
24-12-2009, 12:14
Sorry, if I'm coming across as being a grumpy, cantankerous pedant - not intended really!

Don't worry i'm a pro :lol:

Jonboy
24-12-2009, 12:18
Don't worry i'm a pro :lol:

i'll second that:ner:

Alex_UK
24-12-2009, 16:18
So you bought the Copper DAC that Tommy1 couldn't get on with - is that right? (Which means you didn't hang around when it came back on the market!?)

The Vinyl Adventure
24-12-2009, 16:28
I was fisrt dibs when Duncan was selling but had to pull out for finansial reasons those reasons disapeared so I bought it asap when It became available again!
It turns out it's quite good, makes the majik's sound really baised towards the highs an lows! It's plumper out the mids no end! I am most highly satisfyed with this purchace!
Il tell you what the pictures don't do it justice! It's really big! I still haven't worked out how to fit it on the rack in the new house!
Biggest problem - with the stepped volume on my pre amp it goes from normally listening levels on the first step to loud on the second they on the third you have to shout over it! I ain't worried for now but I'm gonna need a solution at some point...

Steve Toy
24-12-2009, 20:59
Hamish, this is why my DAC doesn't have a valve output stage.

Marco
24-12-2009, 22:18
Yep, but Dunc can sort out the gain issue for Hamish, no problem. I discussed that with him when I considered buying it :)

If I get Dunc to build me a copper DAC from scratch I'll still want one with a valve output stage, but with the gain lowered to work with an active valve preamp.

I just have to decide whether to do that or ask him to try fitting a valve output stage to the Sony...... Decisions, decisions!

Marco.

Themis
24-12-2009, 22:26
I just have to decide whether to do that or ask him to try fitting a valve output stage to the Sony......
This is a nice idea, Marco. ;)

Ali Tait
24-12-2009, 22:35
Yep,I think so too.

DSJR
24-12-2009, 22:38
Isn't it better to have as few "stages" in the signal path as possible?

Marco
24-12-2009, 22:43
This is a nice idea, Marco ;)

It could be a way of getting the best of both worlds, Dimitri, as there is something special about both the way that the Sony and Dunc's copper DAC reproduce music :)

Marco.

P.S Joyeux Noël et Bonne Année a toi et ta famille :cool:

Ali Tait
25-12-2009, 00:15
Isn't it better to have as few "stages" in the signal path as possible?

Why? If there is something you really like about the valve sound,why try to omit as many stages of it as you can?

The Grand Wazoo
25-12-2009, 09:05
So there, mr grump!!

Yeah, yeah, I know. I've already washed my mouth out with soap and vinegar. I'm in the queue for the humble pie & I've just given to tailor my size for the hair shirt.