PDA

View Full Version : 'NEBO 8 -Sat 6th May 2017 - St George Hotel, Durham Tees Valley Airport

Pages : [1] 2

RichB
10-01-2017, 11:25
Starting a new thread to confirm date and venue for NEBO 8.

Saturday 6th May 2017

The Chimneys Hotel
East Street
Blackhall Colliery
Hartlepool
TS27 4HA

10am til closing time

Since it worked well the last time I've gone for the same venue. Food and drink is available at very reasonable prices all day long.

Accommodation is available onsite for those who want to make a night of it at the rate of £40 for a single room or £70 for a twin/double inc breakfast. This can be booked by contacting the hotel directly on 0191 586 8248. The landlady is Anne Telford. Be sure to mention the HiFi meetup when booking so she knows where the business is coming from!:) The cost of the venue for the day is £75, there will be an honesty jar for donations towards the costs as has been the way with previous meets. Any excess of funds will be donated to charity.

As I've previously mentioned, this will be a private function and I will be confirming invitations later today by PM to all who have expressed an interest so far. If you haven't done so yet, you need to let me know if you'd like to attend and if there is anyone else you'd like to come along.

If for any reason, the above date isn't suitable for longstanding attendees then we do have some flexibility to choose another Sat in May but I'd need to know sooner rather than later to pin it down.

All the best.

Rich

Ali Tait
10-01-2017, 11:26
Nice one mate, look forward to this.

Qwin
10-01-2017, 12:19
Reserved in my diary. :cool:

RichB
10-01-2017, 14:01
Feel free to shout up with what gear you'd be bringing!

Amongst other odds and sods I'll be aiming to finish modifying 2 pairs of speakers before the big day. These will be my own hamfisted attempts at 'doc mods' discussed elsewhere. I'll bring a pair of stands for bookshelf speakers.

Macca
10-01-2017, 16:43
Not sure how I will be getting there so can't say what gear I can bring.

The venue is a good 'un, I'm glad we are back there again. Allegedly it is not far from the place where they filmed the closing scene of 'Get Carter'.

Floyddroid
10-01-2017, 16:56
Not sure how I will be getting there so can't say what gear I can bring.

The venue is a good 'un, I'm glad we are back there again. Allegedly it is not far from the place where they filmed the closing scene of 'Get Carter'.

Hence the get Carter poster for last year's Nebo.

RichB
10-01-2017, 17:58
Hence the get Carter poster for last year's Nebo.

And I thought that closing scene was filmed at Blyth up the coast. You learn something new everyday.

Wonder what theme we can have for this poster.

Gazjam
10-01-2017, 18:24
Nice one Rich.

Bringing the Nick Gorham SET power amp again, different beastie this time with the Elrog 300B output valves and upgraded heater supply.

Qwin
10-01-2017, 18:31
The mine was just South of the venue, about 250/300yds on the other side of the road that runs parallel with the coast. The Arial flight that was featured in the film, went from the mine straight to the cliffs across a single field. So the filming at the cliffs was less than 800yds from the venue. Many people think it was the Easington Flight a few miles up the coast, but it was definitely the one at Blackhall.

Macca
10-01-2017, 18:34
In that case we really need to go out there, reconstruct the scene, film it, and put it on you-tube.

I'll be Michael Caine.

Qwin
10-01-2017, 18:45
:lol: You wouldn't recognize it, the mine is a green field, the flight has long gone and the thousands of tons of slag have been cleaned up, its quite clean and picturesque now. Would need a lot of CGI to recreate :D

Macca
10-01-2017, 18:52
Bloody conservationists!

RichB
10-01-2017, 19:04
Have just sent PMs to all who've expressed an interest, some noteable previous attendees and a few I've met at MiBO.

Couldn't contact Lurcher as his mailbox is full so maybe Ali you can let him know?

vinyljunkie - i got a message saying your message function is switched off. I'm expecting you anyway.;)

mad-moon - I cant seee Vince's username on here, I assume you'll let him know mate?

Floyddroid/337alant - I'm not sure what Les W's username is on here and since you know him can you pass on the details.

vinyljunky
10-01-2017, 22:16
Too bloody right I'm coming well done rich I'll try and persuade jez to bring his prototype hybrid mc phonostage

RichB
11-01-2017, 07:48
Too bloody right I'm coming well done rich I'll try and persuade jez to bring his prototype hybrid mc phonostage

Nice one Steve. That'd be great, as well as any other kit you'd like to bring. Maybe Pete can bring the turntable?

Ali Tait
11-01-2017, 07:54
Done Rich, he will make it if he can.

RichB
11-01-2017, 09:51
Done Rich, he will make it if he can.

Great, thanks Ali.

Jac Hawk
11-01-2017, 18:03
I'll be there Rich, not sure where to stay though

mik_rik
11-01-2017, 18:25
Confirming I'll be there.Put me down for 2 as I will try and get my son to attend.Fixed him up with a t/t and valve amp and is keen on records now.Thought it would be good to get some young blood interested in what can be achieved sound quality wise. Mick

RichB
11-01-2017, 21:24
I'll be there Rich, not sure where to stay though

Hi Mike, there's digs at the venue. Basic but adequate. Last time Ken and I shared a twin room. Ok to pass out in after a few shandies. I'll probably stay there again so I can have a drink.

RichB
11-01-2017, 21:29
Confirming I'll be there.Put me down for 2 as I will try and get my son to attend.Fixed him up with a t/t and valve amp and is keen on records now.Thought it would be good to get some young blood interested in what can be achieved sound quality wise. Mick

Nice one Mick. Be good to meet the lad.

Always interesting to see what you've uncovered on your various forages mate. Did you ever get that old receiver we finished the night with the last time sorted. It did play music though... Good craic

DiveDeepDog
11-01-2017, 23:30
Thanks for the invite Rich, I'm interested. Id rather car share as its a long way away, so calling on Midlands posse?

337alant
11-01-2017, 23:53
Last time Ken and I shared a twin room.

Mmmm a memorable experience I hope LOL :D

Anyway yes i will come and bring some analogue stuff :scratch:, look forward to it Richy thanks for organizing :eyebrows
Mick yes young blood sounds good though you may have to tie him up :D

Alan

clarkey555
12-01-2017, 09:18
Hi Rich just read your pm and hopefully I will be there about 12. I will bring along my new Jez Arkless phono stage and some nice slabs of wax. Thanks for making this happen and for keeping the north east bake off ticking over well done young man:lol:

Hudz
12-01-2017, 14:45
Bit late to this, can I get an invite too please Rich and also offer the services of me and my van for any larger loads - speaker cabs, big amps, fat blokes:D from Hartlepool and the surrounding area.

RichB
13-01-2017, 08:26
Ok, so that's all the PM's sent so far.

From the responses I've had it looks as if we're again expecting a great turn out and some world class kit!

Macca
13-01-2017, 10:07
Ok, so that's all the PM's sent so far.

From the responses I've had it looks as if we're again expecting a great turn out and some world class kit!

Same old same old then ... ;)

RichB
13-01-2017, 11:12
Same old same old then ... ;)

Some new faces, some familiar ones, some fabulous kit to drool over and plenty of projects to hear.

A trend I've noticed for the last few though is that as things wind down later on and people go we seem to run low on speaker choices with my RS5 having brought up the rear to see out the night.

Would be great if any of the local guys who'll be there for duration brought a pair of speakers just to give us a few more options for the late session. (my favourite part of the whole do if I'm honest). The late session is traditionally where the old meets the new, the cheap meets the expensive and some fascinating stuff gets played. (looking round to see the lads in pain as we went from Interstellar Overdrive to Jim Reeves to Jethro Tull to Gary Numan the last time was a treat).:lol:;)

Vince
13-01-2017, 20:25
Looking forward to this years mate, top man for keeping it going

RichB
14-01-2017, 10:07
Looking forward to this years mate, top man for keeping it going

Cheers Vince. Look forward to seeing you there. :cool:

Floyddroid
14-01-2017, 17:25
I might just bring some LP's. I have nothing new to contribute. Alan T's reel to reel is by far better than my old Tascam so unless i acquire something intersting in the meantime i may well enjoy everyone else's stuff instead.

Qwin
14-01-2017, 17:58
I will have my semi active three ways, but these only allow swap outs on the source and maybe the pre amp, as the 6 channel power amp is part of the active set up. Still, the option is there as I will be leaving late.

mik_rik
14-01-2017, 18:49
Nice one Mick. Be good to meet the lad.

Always interesting to see what you've uncovered on your various forages mate. Did you ever get that old receiver we finished the night with the last time sorted. It did play music though... Good craic

Hi Rich yep got it fettled and is now doing sterling work hooked to my Pioneer PL 630 t/t.It did sound canny ,late on in the procedings when things were coming to an end [notice I did not say "winding down"] at the last meet. Hope Alan brings the r2r suitably loaded with good tunes , told my lad about ,eager to hear it,and also hope Steve brings his homebrew PX amps ,raved about these also.If you want me to bring anything ,let me know[old stalwart Radford?] I will bring the 180g vinyl version of Devin Townsend that impressed at the mini NEBO we had at Jarrow . Mick

vinyljunky
14-01-2017, 18:55
I am deffo bringing my thorens td160 super with mission 774 arm and zyx Yatra r100 mc cart

Gazjam
14-01-2017, 18:59
Sounding better and better Rich.
Is anyone bringing efficient speakers?

My amp only puts out 8 watts, but well worth a listen with the Elrog 300B valves.

RichB
14-01-2017, 20:05
Hi Rich yep got it fettled and is now doing sterling work hooked to my Pioneer PL 630 t/t.It did sound canny ,late on in the procedings when things were coming to an end [notice I did not say "winding down"] at the last meet. Hope Alan brings the r2r suitably loaded with good tunes , told my lad about ,eager to hear it,and also hope Steve brings his homebrew PX amps ,raved about these also.If you want me to bring anything ,let me know[old stalwart Radford?] I will bring the 180g vinyl version of Devin Townsend that impressed at the mini NEBO we had at Jarrow . Mick

The Radford is a bit of a NEBO favourite so I'd hope to see it again mate!

I've listened to that Devin unplugged album quite a few times now on Spotify. Such a splendid recording of some very moving songs.

RichB
14-01-2017, 20:10
Sounding better and better Rich.
Is anyone bringing efficient speakers?

My amp only puts out 8 watts, but well worth a listen with the Elrog 300B valves.

I'll have a pair of RS3 and without speaking for other attendees I know there will be some very efficient design speakers there.

Mickyricky
14-01-2017, 21:39
Thanks for invite Rich.. I'll certainly be there ,hopefully someone Midlands way can arrange a car share with my mate Mark
(Divedeepdog) who had the Sony turntable at the SEBO ,he lives in Derby very near the M1

Floyddroid
14-01-2017, 22:38
Always good to see you Micky. Mark's Sony is rather nice. he's a great bloke too.
Thanks for invite Rich.. I'll certainly be there ,hopefully someone Midlands way can arrange a car share with my mate Mark
(Divedeepdog) who had the Sony turntable at the SEBO ,he lives in Derby very near the M1

Floyddroid
14-01-2017, 23:43
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r209/progmeister1/Get%20carter_zpshlaxu4uf.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/progmeister1/media/Get%20carter_zpshlaxu4uf.jpg.html)

Under new management.

Ali Tait
15-01-2017, 08:19
:D

Mickyricky
17-01-2017, 08:42
Nice mound of coal there ! Can I have a bag full ? :)

Jac Hawk
20-01-2017, 12:48
Just tried to book a room and apparently the lady who has the tenancy at The Chimneys at the moment isn't going to carry on, she told me that she needed to speak to the person who made the booking for NEBO, i'm guessing that's Rich, she said that calling everyone who has made a booking is on her to do list, i'd suggest giving her a call asap.

RichB
20-01-2017, 13:45
Just tried to book a room and apparently the lady who has the tenancy at The Chimneys at the moment isn't going to carry on, she told me that she needed to speak to the person who made the booking for NEBO, i'm guessing that's Rich, she said that calling everyone who has made a booking is on her to do list, i'd suggest giving her a call asap.

Thanks Mike, she hasn't rung me yet.

What a bloody palaver!

Macca
20-01-2017, 13:47
I guess we're going to need another venue...

RichB
20-01-2017, 13:52
I guess we're going to need another venue...

I've just tried to call the hotel and only getting voicemail.

Watch this space.

RichB
21-01-2017, 01:51
Hmmm, so the landlady of the proposed venue hasn't got back to me or emailed as she said she would.

Looks like I'm going to start thinking about a plan B venue. I'm sort of reluctant to move things further north as it seems to work for people coming from all over, I will avoid Newcastle city centre because of parking issues although it might tempt those who want to come by train.

So, I'll open it up to suggestions. I know an excellent possible venue in Saltburn a bit further south than the previous locations. What do people think about that?

Macca
21-01-2017, 09:26
Just a thought Rich but you could try The Windmill again. it is possible that they have now recanted on their high price for room hire. Plus I reckon we spend well over a grand between us on food and drink at these events so that could be used as a bargaining chip. That big room downstairs was pretty much ideal, I thought. It may be that they are booked up with weddings or whatever but if not what hotelier wants to turn down that kind of business? Worth a try?

Qwin
21-01-2017, 09:38
Saltburn - Too far off the beaten track.

We need a venue fairly close to the main trunk roads or motorways, so journey time for folks travelling distances is kept reasonable.
Gear gets tossed around more on the twisty roads as well.

I'll let you know if I think of anywhere.

RichB
21-01-2017, 10:10
Just a thought Rich but you could try The Windmill again. it is possible that they have now recanted on their high price for room hire. Plus I reckon we spend well over a grand between us on food and drink at these events so that could be used as a bargaining chip. That big room downstairs was pretty much ideal, I thought. It may be that they are booked up with weddings or whatever but if not what hotelier wants to turn down that kind of business? Worth a try?

Yes, that thought had occurred to me and I've called them.

It will be Monday before I can speak to the manager.

RichB
21-01-2017, 10:12

We need a venue fairly close to the main trunk roads or motorways, so journey time for folks travelling distances is kept reasonable.

Aye, I only mentioned it as the venue I had in mind was perfect.

Jac Hawk
21-01-2017, 10:54
Have you tried The Old Mill in Thinford, or the Eden Arms in Chilton?

rossman
21-01-2017, 11:22

Although I am biased as I only live a couple of miles from Saltburn I have to disagree that it is too far off the beaten track, its about 15 minutes from the A19.

It is certainly no more difficult than Hartlepool or Seaton Carew to get to and a lot more picturesque.

Jac Hawk
21-01-2017, 11:28
I'm coming from Bolton, so i'm not too concerned exactly where in the North East it is.

Ali Tait
21-01-2017, 12:11
Yep, don't think 15 mins off the motorway is a big deal.

Qwin
21-01-2017, 12:54
Google maps says 24 mins. If you exit Nr Maltby and go due East.

Sat Nav will probably bring you off earlier and do more of a diagonal to it, shorter overall but taking longer on the A and B roads.

I just raised it, cos last time I went, I underestimated how long to get there.

Anything South of the Tees isn't proper North East anyway :D

Jac Hawk
21-01-2017, 14:45

Aye that's Yarksher

RichB
21-01-2017, 17:44
That would be a YOBO then?

My dear friend and associate Floyddroid has visited the venue today and confirmed it now appears closed so I'll be trying a few different options on Monday, including those suggested. Thanks

Marco
21-01-2017, 18:13
I'm coming from Bolton, so i'm not too concerned exactly where in the North East it is.

Not a hill of beans for me either, as I'll be coming from Stoke (with Macca). Just tell us where the action is, dudes, and we'll be there! :cool:

Marco.

vinyljunky
22-01-2017, 12:07
What about the Copt hill houghton le spring

struth
22-01-2017, 12:12
Could rent out my shed for the day ... maybe my livingroom :scratch: if its worth it. Scobo

vinyljunky
22-01-2017, 12:14
Or the bowes incline between washington and Gateshead

vinyljunky
22-01-2017, 12:22
Thinking about it I did like the windmill as a venue the food was great as was the drink the downstairs room was a good size as well

Jac Hawk
22-01-2017, 12:22
For anyone over in the North West who's thinking of going, i've got space in my car, so you're more than welcome

Jac Hawk
22-01-2017, 12:23
Thinking about it I did like the windmill as a venue the food was great as was the drink the downstairs room was a good size as well

Where is it Steve?

vinyljunky
22-01-2017, 12:25
Right next to the a19 not far from Hartlepool doddle to get there

vinyljunky
22-01-2017, 12:30
In a village called dalton piercy

Jac Hawk
22-01-2017, 12:30
I know where it is now, looks nice, but is it pricey?

rossman
22-01-2017, 14:19
Google maps says 24 mins. If you exit Nr Maltby and go due East.

Sat Nav will probably bring you off earlier and do more of a diagonal to it, shorter overall but taking longer on the A and B roads.

I just raised it, cos last time I went, I underestimated how long to get there.

If coming from the south carry on past that exit by the Cleveland Tontine and carry on to the A174 at Thornaby, 15 minutes to Saltburn. You wouldn't go as far the Tontine if coming from the north.

Alternatively you could come off at the Tontine and take the route past Roseberry Topping and climb it for a stunning view over North Yorkshire.

RichB
23-01-2017, 11:25
Have just spoken with the Windmill which is now a fancy Italian restaurant. They wanted to charge the big room at £70 per hour which is way more than I'd ever be prepared to pay. Even explaining that people would be buying food and drink and renting rooms only brought this down to £50 per hour which is frankly extortionate for our purposes. For that kind of money I could rent a small mansion somewhere for the night on airbnb and we could have a NEBO house party!

So onwards and upwards the search continues.

Macca
23-01-2017, 11:52
They must be having a giraffe. Obviously the room is available or they wouldn't quote a price to begin with, but they would rather have it stand empty than make some money.

Good luck with that business model.

Marco
23-01-2017, 16:38
Have just spoken with the Windmill which is now a fancy Italian restaurant.

A fancy Italian restaurant?

Are we talking about the same venue as the one last year, Rich, in what seemed like in the middle of a dodgy-looking housing estate? As much as the pub we were in was fine for our purposes, I doubt the surrounding area would have the required clientele to make a "fancy Italian restaurant" pay! :D

Anyway, hope you get something else sorted soon :)

Marco.

RichB
23-01-2017, 16:59
A fancy Italian restaurant?

Are we talking about the same venue as the one last year, Rich, in what seemed like in the middle of a dodgy-looking housing estate? As much as the pub we were in was fine for our purposes, I doubt the surrounding area would have the required clientele to make a "fancy Italian restaurant" pay! :D

Anyway, hope you get something else sorted soon :)

Marco.

No mate, I'm talking about the Windmill, the one just off the A19 where we held previous NEBO events.

I am starting to worry that NEBO brings with it the kiss of death for these places as the last one is now shut indefinitely and the previous one where nobody was happy with the sound has been demolished.

Macca
23-01-2017, 17:04
the previous one where nobody was happy with the sound has been demolished.

They took our comments about the acoustics to heart, then?

RichB
23-01-2017, 17:13
They took our comments about the acoustics to heart, then?

So it would seem! Either that or we damaged the foundations whilst middle aged moshing to that lash up system playing ZZ Top.

struth
23-01-2017, 17:16
Fate playing its cards eh... sure there are plenty likely venues for it. Hoteliers cant all be nobs

RichB
23-01-2017, 17:23
Fate playing its cards eh... sure there are plenty likely venues for it. Hoteliers cant all be nobs

I'm hoping for evidence to prove it. I won't be able to check out any prospective venues this weekend as there are two landmark birthday celebrations in the family and I'm likely to be drunk/hungover most of it.

Next weekend when Mrs B is back from her work trip we've got several days off so I'll take her out for lunch a few times with ulterior motives of checking out venues.

Jac Hawk
23-01-2017, 18:01
Try the Eden arms in rushford mate

Marco
23-01-2017, 19:47
No mate, I'm talking about the Windmill, the one just off the A19 where we held previous NEBO events.

Ah, I getcha now... :)

Next weekend when Mrs B is back from her work trip we've got several days off so I'll take her out for lunch a few times with ulterior motives of checking out venues.

Ha - love your lateral thinking. Lucky her! :cool:

Marco.

Floyddroid
23-01-2017, 20:16
You insinuating i'm hefty like?
So it would seem! Either that or we damaged the foundations whilst middle aged moshing to that lash up system playing ZZ Top.

Marco
23-01-2017, 20:24
Just your wallet! Remember it fell on the floor, when you were boogying away to The Nolan Sisters? :dance: :dance:

Must've loosened summit then........

:D;)

Marco.

Floyddroid
23-01-2017, 21:10
The Windmill was ideal as both a room and venue overall. It was more good luck than management me securing that gaff. The manageress seemed t take on board my proposal (with regards to Nebo that is) and as Macca pointed out she acknowledged the benefit of having a room that would have been empty all day filled with people buying beer, snacks, meals and hiring out rooms. I managed to pull this off twice before The Windmill was bought out by the Sambuca franchise. I attempted to book Sambuca's for NEBO 6 to no avail. They fobbed me off by telling me that the rooms we had used previously were to be turned into bedrooms which they never were. I was told that the previous manageress had taken up residency in the pub with the evil acoustics and bouncy floor (The Schooner). After dropping by one lunchtime i manages to work my irresistible charm on her again and the rest is history. In a fit of desperation and being unable to find another location for Nebo 7 i decided to try my luck again. This time it was a new manager who informed me that she had been given the boot due to trying to beat up the chef. Mmmm, what to do?
My daughter told me about The Chimneys which seemed ideal which as those who attended would agree that it was. However, the landlady proved to be somewhat of an adventure to deal with and she tried to f..k me over on three occasions prior to Nebo 7 actually taking place. You have no idea how relieved i was when i got there that morning and assisted people setting up. Pheeeew!
As we all know Nebo is now under new management and having heard about the happenings via this thread it comes as no surprise to me that the wench at The Chimneys proved so unreliable. I really did have to play hard ball with her. This leaves Rich with a right headache but fear not. A suitable venue will be found.

Floyddroid
23-01-2017, 21:11
Gawd no! tell me it wasn't The Nolans? I was a bit fuzzy at that stage.
Just your wallet! Remember it fell on the floor, when you were boogying away to The Nolan Sisters? :dance: :dance:

Must've loosened summit then........

:D;)

Marco.

RichB
23-01-2017, 21:43
You insinuating i'm hefty like?

Not at all mate, but then none of the NEBO crowd are exactly poster boys for slimmers world are they.:lol:

(with the possible exception of Macca of course)

Macca
23-01-2017, 21:50
I eat donuts for breakfast :)

Floyddroid
23-01-2017, 22:07
I eat donuts for breakfast :)

Good man

Halfway Tree
23-01-2017, 22:13
Try the Eden arms in rushford mate

This is quite close to me, happy to check it out if you want. It's close to the A1, but looks like it's been refurbished so might be expensive.

Gordon

Jac Hawk
23-01-2017, 23:12
This is quite close to me, happy to check it out if you want. It's close to the A1, but looks like it's been refurbished so might be expensive.

Gordon

It's only a 2 star so should be ok, if not maybe try the Greenback hotel in Darlington or Hall Garth Golf and country club, Greenbank will be cheap but Hall Garth will suit Marco more.

RichB
23-01-2017, 23:27

Gordon

If you're passing Gordon pls take a look and let me know if it is worth further investigation.

Thanks

RichB
23-01-2017, 23:28
It's only a 2 star so should be ok, if not maybe try the Greenback hotel in Darlington or Hall Garth Golf and country club, Greenbank will be cheap but Hall Garth will suit Marco more.

Thanks Mike, more for my list to check out.:)

Jac Hawk
23-01-2017, 23:49
The Greenback is more like The Chimneys (no stars) but it's 2 minutes from the town centre and Darlo isn't a bad night out if anyones game

Jac Hawk
03-02-2017, 20:41
Any update on a venue Rich??

RichB
03-02-2017, 23:15
Any update on a venue Rich??

Not as yet mate... I'm on the case tho.

RichB
11-02-2017, 23:03
Can I ask a mod to amend the title of this thread to ('NEBO 8 - Date and Venue tbc) please whilst I'm sorting it out. Thanks

struth
11-02-2017, 23:05
okaydoey

RichB
12-02-2017, 09:28
Venue confirmation incoming and I think it's a good one too, ticking all the right boxes.

brian2957
12-02-2017, 09:55
Same date Rich ?

RichB
12-02-2017, 10:04
Same date Rich ?

I'm currently checking their availability for the 6th or 13th May.

vinyljunky
12-02-2017, 11:23
The suspense is killing us rich any clues

RichB
12-02-2017, 18:18
The suspense is killing us rich any clues

I'm literally waiting on a confirmation email from the venue mate, I dare not say any more until its pinned on for sure.

6th May is still the intended date which matches with the venue's availability.

vinyljunky
12-02-2017, 18:24
If anyone can pull it off you can rich ultimate respect my man

RichB
13-02-2017, 15:42
Right, so we're back on... And with a new venue too and by heck I think it's a corker!

NEBO 8 will take place on Saturday 6th May at the St George Hotel near Durham Tees Valley Airport (opposite it in fact).

Details here http://www.stgeorgehotel.net/

We will have the large function room for the full day so loads of space to set up, food and drinks are available from the bar and reasonable. There is plenty of parking right at the front of the hotel. There will be some limited teas and coffees for the early arrivals. I'll be getting there for 10am to start setting up, feel free to join me and help.

The hotel is offering a guest rate of £39 b&b for attendees, mention the HiFi meeting booked by Rich when speaking to them.

The hotel is well located for access from the A1 and A19 motorways.

As I hope you'll all agreed this is an excellent venue for us, I will be requesting a donation of a £10 a man towards the costs, in the event we have an excess of funds, these will be donated to charity.

Loom forward to seeing you all there.

R

RichB
13-02-2017, 15:47
Mods can you please add 'Sat 6th May 2017 - St George Hotel, Durham Tees Valley Airport' to the title of the thread. Thanks...

vinyljunky
13-02-2017, 16:27
Well done rich knew you wouldn't let us down you've pulled a rabbit out the hat there and 10 pounds is very reasonable for such a splendid event

mik_rik
13-02-2017, 17:06
A Crackerjack[crackerjack]pencil and a Blue Peter badge for Rich.

Macca
13-02-2017, 17:24
Looks like a classy joint.

Ali Tait
13-02-2017, 17:32
Nice one Rich!

Jac Hawk
13-02-2017, 17:39
Ha, i grew up in that part of Darlo, i know it well, nice one Rich

RichB
13-02-2017, 17:39
Daily flights from Aberdeen and Amsterdam into Durham for our pals from the far north and lowlands to visit us!

Jac Hawk
13-02-2017, 17:46
are you staying there on the Saturday night Rich?

struth
13-02-2017, 17:47
Do they have a helipad? :eyebrows:

Macca
13-02-2017, 17:49
Good to see the function rooms all have dancefloors. Handy for when the ZZ Top goes on.

RichB
13-02-2017, 17:49
are you staying there on the Saturday night Rich?

Yeah, at that price I'll be having a drink then hoying the TVs out the window a'la Keith Moon :cool:

RichB
13-02-2017, 17:53
Do they have a helipad? :eyebrows:

You might actually be able to arrive by helicopter if you booked your own private hire.

RichB
13-02-2017, 17:54
Good to see the function rooms all have dancefloors. Handy for when the ZZ Top goes on.

I will send a structural engineer in beforehand to ensure they're up to the job and safe.

Macca
13-02-2017, 17:57
I will send a structural engineer in beforehand to ensure they're up to the job and safe.

Would have thought they had already been tested to destruction by big Geordie lasses and some ABBA.

Jac Hawk
13-02-2017, 18:03
Would have thought they had already been tested to destruction by big Geordie lasses and some ABBA.

Easy tiger, it's closer to Middlesbrough, the land of the parmo, smog and where the air has it's own special taste.

RichB
13-02-2017, 18:04

Aye, but that's like comparing the Bolshoi Ballet with the front row at the Download Festival when it comes to the NEBO crowd.

Jac Hawk
13-02-2017, 18:05
Yeah, at that price I'll be having a drink then hoying the TVs out the window a'la Keith Moon :cool:

i didn't think it was too bad, where are you staying then mate?

RichB
13-02-2017, 18:18
i didn't think it was too bad, where are you staying then mate?

I was kidding Mike, :lol: it's very reasonable I think and looks decent so I'll be staying there on the Saturday nt.

I wasn't really gonna trash the room lol.

Jac Hawk
13-02-2017, 18:31
Just booked a room, £46.80 for the night cheap as chips

RichB
13-02-2017, 18:33

Was that with the hotel direct Mike? Take it the price you paid was the guest rate plus vat.

Arkless Electronics
13-02-2017, 18:37

If you usually get your chips from Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons maybe....

Jac Hawk
13-02-2017, 18:37
Was that with the hotel direct Mike? Take it the price you paid was the guest rate plus vat.

Yes mate just went to the hotel web site and followed the room booking link, don't tell me you got yours cheaper?:doh::doh:

RichB
13-02-2017, 19:37
Yes mate just went to the hotel web site and followed the room booking link, don't tell me you got yours cheaper?:doh::doh:

Nope, I've not booked it yet but they did say £39 to me as the guest rate. I didn't ask if that was ex vat

Jac Hawk
13-02-2017, 19:39
Nope, I've not booked it yet but they did say £39 to me as the guest rate. I didn't ask if that was ex vat

Yes mate that's what I was charged ex VAT

RichB
13-02-2017, 19:42
Yes mate that's what I was charged ex VAT

That's right then, I'll sort mine out tonight

Jac Hawk
13-02-2017, 19:47
Still cheaper than a travelodge, looks like the smaller hotels are starting to hit back and compete

Mickyricky
13-02-2017, 20:54
Well done Rich.. I remember going there to some hifi shows back in the early nineties,I think McKenna and Brown organised them if I remember rightly...
It is a good venue!!

RichB
13-02-2017, 21:09
Still cheaper than a travelodge, looks like the smaller hotels are starting to hit back and compete

Ive also booked a room there, same price.

Plenty room types, triples/twins etc available on their site and booking.com

Jac Hawk
13-02-2017, 21:52
Well done Rich.. I remember going there to some hifi shows back in the early nineties,I think McKenna and Brown organised them if I remember rightly...
It is a good venue!!

McKenna & Brown now there's a blast from the past

Arkless Electronics
13-02-2017, 21:59
I remember them well... Is Gilson Audio still around? They had branches in Billingham and boro years ago...

Jac Hawk
13-02-2017, 22:05
Back in the 70's Gilson had a branch on post house wynd in Darlington, I remember going in there with my dad when I was a kid, same with McKenna and Brown

Marco
13-02-2017, 22:18
Well done, Richy-boy... Great choice of venue :thumbsup:

Think my car might even be safe there, too! ;)

Macca and I will be there. I may also be bringing a couple of mates with me from Wrexham, one of whom posts here and is mostly active in the DIY threads, DarrenHW. Let's make this NEBO the best one ever, folks! :cool:

Marco.

petrat
13-02-2017, 22:37
Ha, i grew up in that part of Darlo, i know it well, nice one Rich

Me too! There isn't a pub between Darlington and Middlesbrough that I didn't patronise in my youth ... unless it served Cameron's beer, which was truly and utterly undrinkable Tees river water, straight from the estuary at Hartlepool. :spew:

Arkless Electronics
13-02-2017, 22:46
Me too! There isn't a pub between Darlington and Middlesbrough that I didn't patronise in my youth ... unless it served Cameron's beer, which was truly and utterly undrinkable Tees river water, straight from the estuary at Hartlepool. :spew:

Yer cheeky fucker! Yer lucky not to be a pet monkey... still got some rope handy:D

A Hartlepudlian.

Arkless Electronics
13-02-2017, 22:49
Back in the 70's Gilson had a branch on post house wynd in Darlington, I remember going in there with my dad when I was a kid, same with McKenna and Brown

Many a drunken time was spent in The Green Dragon in said post house wynd.... Them was the days!

RichB
14-02-2017, 05:14

Aye, the beer was rank like. Horrible stuff.

Playing in bands the Cameron club was always a decent gig though. Nice big crowd for most events, they paid pretty well for the club circuit and would feed us too.

We enjoyed playing there.

RichB
14-02-2017, 05:16
Well done, Richy-boy... Great choice of venue :thumbsup:

Think my car might even be safe there, too! ;)

Macca and I will be there. I may also be bringing a couple of mates with me from Wrexham, one of whom posts here and is mostly active in the DIY threads, DarrenHW. Let's make this NEBO the best one ever, folks! :cool:

Marco.

Good stuff Marco, are you and the chaps bringing any kit?

Marco
14-02-2017, 07:43
Probably something, but not sure what yet, as if everyone comes. the car will be full with bodies :)

Marco.

RichB
14-02-2017, 08:21
Probably something, but not sure what yet, as if everyone comes. the car will be full with bodies :)

Marco.

Can you not dispose of them on the way, must be plenty desolate moors and forests enroute. Take a shovel etc.

tapid
14-02-2017, 09:36
You wound nt want to spoil the scenery with A.O.S. members though !!!

Ali Tait
14-02-2017, 11:07
Yeah, or the smell of decaying vinyl.

Jac Hawk
14-02-2017, 18:03
Aye, the beer was rank like. Horrible stuff.

ffs Camerons wasn't that bad, Castle Eden was a nicer pint though

Macca
14-02-2017, 18:05
Castle Eden was a lovely drop.

Arkless Electronics
14-02-2017, 18:08
Castle Eden was a lovely drop.

I preferred Strongarm if it was properly kept. My step father ran Castle Eden brewery for Whitbreads incidentally...

Macca
14-02-2017, 18:13
Whitbreads were our brewery when my uncle had his pub back in the 1980s. I used to have a glass of Castle Eden with my breakfast :)

Jac Hawk
14-02-2017, 18:18
I preferred Strongarm if it was properly kept. My step father ran Castle Eden brewery for Whitbreads incidentally... i quite liked strongarm, can't understand what folks have against Cameron's, it's a pity the breweries in the NE have all but disappeared, Newcastle Brown's brewed in Tadcaster now, Vaux, Camerons and Castle Eden have all gone, the Castle Eden brewery is now a housing estate.

Arkless Electronics
14-02-2017, 18:22
i quite liked strongarm, can't understand what folks have against Cameron's, it's a pity the breweries in the NE have all but disappeared, Newcastle Brown's brewed in Tadcaster now, Vaux, Camerons and Castle Eden have all gone, the Castle Eden brewery is now a housing estate.

Camerons are still going! Vaux are now Maxim brewery but still going also...

Jac Hawk
14-02-2017, 18:30
Camerons are still going! Vaux are now Maxim brewery but still going also... i didn't realise, is the camerons brewery still next to the shopping centre? and i thought the Vaux brewery closed and the site was sold off years ago.

Jac Hawk
14-02-2017, 18:33
Whitbreads were our brewery when my uncle had his pub back in the 1980s. I used to have a glass of Castle Eden with my breakfast :)

Was that instead of milk on your cornflakes Martin??

Arkless Electronics
14-02-2017, 18:37
i didn't realise, is the camerons brewery still next to the shopping centre? and i thought the Vaux brewery closed and the site was sold off years ago.

It's still The Lion Brewery and hasn't moved:) Vaux's actual brewing part was bought out by management when Vaux as a company finished... they no longer own pubs or anything like that but you still see loads with the Vaux symbol still on display.

Macca
14-02-2017, 19:04
Was that instead of milk on your cornflakes Martin??

It was a good job he gave the place up or I would probably have died.

mik_rik
14-02-2017, 19:13
The Vaux brewery site was demolished years ago and a big supermarket chain bought it and have left it an eyesore,speculating on it,s value and also denying it to any rivals.I always found Camerons was a lot better in H'pool ie it did not travel. In my neck of the woods it was p--- poor ,the joke being if you missed the next day at work you must have been drinking it.

Arkless Electronics
14-02-2017, 19:37
Maximus is a nice pint from the Maxim Brewery :cool:

RichB
14-02-2017, 21:21
i quite liked strongarm, can't understand what folks have against Cameron's, it's a pity the breweries in the NE have all but disappeared, Newcastle Brown's brewed in Tadcaster now, Vaux, Camerons and Castle Eden have all gone, the Castle Eden brewery is now a housing estate.

Maybe drinking in the old Riverside club and places like the Broken Doll in the town meant that a bottle of dump (Brown ale) was my tipple. Could never get away with any of that Cameron's stuff, or any of the Fed's various p##swater.

Had to knock it on the head though as whilst I've always been a mellow rather than an angry drunk, the Broon used to make me go a bit radge. The barmaids in the Telegraph, the Forth (where my Mrs used to work) and the Barley Mow all knew about this and would only let me have 2 bottles of dog in any one session. Funny stuff it was.

Jac Hawk
14-02-2017, 23:21
Speaking about Brown Ale, I was in a "British Pub" in Columbia North Carolina last year, they had Newcastle Brown Ale on tap, i had to educate the colonials and explained that Newcastle Brown Ale is a bottle only beer, it doesn't come in draught and what they were serving was in fact Newcastle Exhibition.

petrat
15-02-2017, 00:17
All this talk makes me wonder if the new venue would be up for getting a few guest ales in for the weekend? Anyone for the world's first combined Beer Festival / Hifi Show? :eyebrows:
Maybe even provide some lovely local fare? Stotties, pease pudding, pan heggarty and singin' hinnies come to mind :D

Marco
15-02-2017, 08:21
Can you not dispose of them on the way, must be plenty desolate moors and forests enroute. Take a shovel etc.

Now there's an idea! :bulb::D

Just think of all the fuel I'd save on the return journey!

Marco.

jollyfix
15-02-2017, 09:53
Speaking about Brown Ale, I was in a "British Pub" in Columbia North Carolina last year, they had Newcastle Brown Ale on tap, i had to educate the colonials and explained that Newcastle Brown Ale is a bottle only beer, it doesn't come in draught and what they were serving was in fact Newcastle Exhibition.
I was very surprised the last time i was in the States. Newcastle brown was everywhere. Never saw it on tap, just bottles. Every gas station, little type shop, big shops, from middle of nowhere in a desert, to the city. That and Bass beer. Then again , i assumed it would be just crap larger everywhere, like 'Bud'. How wrong was i , Ale, very good Ale, stouts etc. So many micro brewers ,almost every bar had a few good ales, so many bottles of the stuff too.:cool:

Macca
15-02-2017, 12:24
I was in a casino in Las Vegas and on the off-chance asked if they had Guinness, fully expecting them to say no. But they said they thought they did, then came back with a bottle of Newky Brown. 'We've got no Guinness but I think this is the same thing'.

Well, no, not really.

Another casino did sell bottles of Guinness in their shop. It was cheaper there than it is in the Sainsbury's around the corner from my house.

vinyljunky
15-02-2017, 16:32
Another local tipple radgie gadgie from the mordue brewery Newcastle https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/282b163e754a773edb8b1fbd233341f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mik_rik
15-02-2017, 17:48
Newcastle Brown....aka lunatics broth or bottled insanity

Qwin
15-02-2017, 19:05
Another local tipple radgie gadgie from the mordue brewery Newcastle https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/282b163e754a773edb8b1fbd233341f0.jpg

Their "Workie Ticket" is better in my opinion, but then again I cut my teeth on Strongarm :)

Aldi in Hartlepool do bottled Strongarm, so I have a few on hand.

Barry
15-02-2017, 21:08

'Newkie Brown' used to be my regular tipple as a student. These days I wonder how I ever drank it - it's far too sweet and sickly for my taste! :spew:

RichB
16-02-2017, 07:48

Electric Soup my dad used to call it.

RichB
16-02-2017, 07:56
I was very surprised the last time i was in the States. Newcastle brown was everywhere. Never saw it on tap, just bottles. Every gas station, little type shop, big shops, from middle of nowhere in a desert, to the city. That and Bass beer. Then again , i assumed it would be just crap larger everywhere, like 'Bud'. How wrong was i , Ale, very good Ale, stouts etc. So many micro brewers ,almost every bar had a few good ales, so many bottles of the stuff too.:cool:

A friend and I did a bit of a driving tour of California, Nevada and Arizona a few years ago. We pitched up one night at a motel in Death Valley, hotter than hell and we were thirsty. The owners were religious and would only sell a max of 4 beers per person. No matter, we went to the gas station over the road where there was an impressive wall of fridges full of every beer imaginable. Amongst others we bough a 6 pack of brown and headed into the desert for drunken stargazing and to find rattlesnakes. Fortunately there were no snakes but that vast night sky with an electric storm in the distance will stay with me forever.

Gazjam
17-02-2017, 07:48
Cool story :)

petrat
17-02-2017, 12:46
Cool story :)

Certainly beats my stories of falling on my face in the streets of Coventry after too much of the stuff :lol:

337alant
21-02-2017, 16:29
A friend and I did a bit of a driving tour of California, Nevada and Arizona a few years ago. We pitched up one night at a motel in Death Valley, hotter than hell and we were thirsty. The owners were religious and would only sell a max of 4 beers per person. No matter, we went to the gas station over the road where there was an impressive wall of fridges full of every beer imaginable. Amongst others we bough a 6 pack of brown and headed into the desert for drunken stargazing and to find rattlesnakes. Fortunately there were no snakes but that vast night sky with an electric storm in the distance will stay with me forever.

And then you woke up and you were really in South Shields LOL
Na great story Rich
Alan

RichB
23-02-2017, 15:51
And then you woke up and you were really in South Shields LOL
Na great story Rich
Alan

I have woken up in South Shields on many occasions... Once on a park bench after an aborted attempt to walk home following a night out!

Another time in casualty with a broken nose, a black eye and a tooth missing after another eventful evening. I don't go there much these days.

RichB
25-02-2017, 14:21
Just been to reccy the venue with Qwin and Floyddroid. Excellent in so many ways, one large ballroom and another more 'conference' style room. With the ballroom being so large we are arranging some dividers to break up the space and separate a listening space from a conversation area. There are tables in abundance and it would seem silly not to have a 'for sale'/'mini-jumble' spot too for private sales (I.e. Not a trade stall)

The smaller room really is very nice and didn't suffer from any reflections or echo as the big room (unseparated) did. These were primarily coming from the hard wooden dancefloors in the centre of the space. Separating this from the listening area will make a difference I think

Qwin had his camera and pencil handy so expect a post with more detailed specifications from him soon.

As an aside if anyone has access to more room dividers to diffuse the big space further I'd be happy to hear from you. I expect though that the effect of many lumpy bodies in the room will help somewhat ;):lol:

struth
25-02-2017, 14:30
Just been to reccy the venue with Qwin and Floyddroid. Excellent in so many ways, one large ballroom and another more 'conference' style room. With the ballroom being so large we are arranging some dividers to break up the space and separate a listening space from a conversation area. There are tables in abundance and it would seem silly not to have a 'for sale'/'mini-jumble' spot too for private sales (I.e. Not a trade stall)

The smaller room really is very nice and didn't suffer from any reflections or echo as the big room (unseparated) did. These were primarily coming from the hard wooden dancefloors in the centre of the space. Separating this from the listening area will make a difference I think

Qwin had his camera and pencil handy so expect a post with more detailed specifications from him soon.

As an aside if anyone has access to more room dividers to diffuse the big space further I'd be happy to hear from you. I expect though that the effect of many lumpy bodies in the room will help somewhat ;):lol:

If marcos going you,ll be all right ;). Oh wait, hes doing power walks now. :doh: Transport me down and lie me on floor...im a big lump ;)

Qwin
26-02-2017, 17:53
Well as RichB promised, here are a couple of pics and a rough plan of the venue.

This is the Ballroom

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Pics/StGeorge_01.JPG

This is the adjoining Dinsdale Room - Note the Bar will not be open - We will have to use the Main Bar.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Pics/StGeorge_02.JPG

And this is an approximate plan of the two rooms showing the power points.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Pics/StGeorgeHotel_Plan.JPG

The acoustics seem better in the smaller room and at the bottom end of the ballroom, which are the two areas Rich was talking about using. The idea is to screen off the bottom end at the edge of the dance floor. Seems to cover most of the bases, so well done Rich.

Jac Hawk
26-02-2017, 19:40
pics not working for me buddy

RichB
27-02-2017, 08:37

Working ok for me.:scratch:

Ali Tait
27-02-2017, 08:54
And me. Looks good Rich, another vintage do hopefully!

Qwin
27-02-2017, 10:00

Strange, never had a problem before?

They are simply hot linked to their location on my web site.

If you still can't see them, try this link, they are the three at the end, so scroll down.
http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Pics/Pics.html

Macca
27-02-2017, 12:33
Looks like a great venue.

Someone bring a PA system so we can make the most of the ballroom.

petrat
27-02-2017, 21:55
That looks really excellent ... well done!

I see that Teesside Airport has been re-branded since my day. Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember it as an RAF base originally. Then after it went commercial, causing some amusement by 'upgrading' itself to Teesside International Airport when Dan (D)Air introduced a solitary daily flight to Amsterdam :lol:

Floyddroid
07-03-2017, 09:46
Had me thinking cap on and at the time of writing this i am unsure what i will be bringing along to Nebo 8. I may well be a casual observer unless i think of something soon ha ha.:)

Macca
07-03-2017, 12:26
Any chance of bringing those big speakers you got a while back? Can't recall if they were Focal or Triangle or whatever but they looked good.

Floyddroid
07-03-2017, 17:05
Any chance of bringing those big speakers you got a while back? Can't recall if they were Focal or Triangle or whatever but they looked good.

They are Heco statements.

Macca
07-03-2017, 18:29
I guess they are a bit too heavy to be moving them around. Would like to hear them though

Floyddroid
07-03-2017, 19:05
I guess they are a bit too heavy to be moving them around. Would like to hear them though

I no longer own a vehicle they will fit into. Should you be in the North East for any reason you are most welcome to have some time in front of them.

Macca
07-03-2017, 19:24
Cheers Steve.

RichB
09-03-2017, 07:28
Had me thinking cap on and at the time of writing this i am unsure what i will be bringing along to Nebo 8. I may well be a casual observer unless i think of something soon ha ha.:)

How about a turntable and some vinyl. As experience has taught us, you can never have too many turntables at these get togethers.

I know you hate lugging your R2R so maybe give that a miss. You do also have some rather fine Avondale amplification we've not had the pleasure of at NEBO. That'd go down well.

Jac Hawk
09-03-2017, 20:14
I'll bring a few bits of tat Rich, i'm messing about with a Planar 3 at the moment, sorting it out and putting a few upgrades on it, so i'll bring it along.

RichB
11-03-2017, 00:04
I'll bring a few bits of tat Rich, i'm messing about with a Planar 3 at the moment, sorting it out and putting a few upgrades on it, so i'll bring it along.

Super Dooper.

Be good to catch up with you again.

mik_rik
11-03-2017, 19:17
Hi Rich can try and bring my Pioneer PL 630 ,bit awkward to move though, but can give it a go if you want. Mick

Gazjam
11-03-2017, 20:17
Anyone bringing efficient speakers?
90odd dB and up?

RichB
12-03-2017, 10:36
Anyone bringing efficient speakers?
90odd dB and up?

I believe Colin is coming and bringing some of his latest creations.

Gazjam
12-03-2017, 12:02

Soopadoopa. :thumbsup:

Qwin
20-03-2017, 09:45
Could someone post on this thread, to see if my email notifications are now working.

Thanks

Firebottle
20-03-2017, 09:50
OK Ken, good to see you at Scalford :)

Qwin
20-03-2017, 10:03
Like wise Alan, I thought I got a reasonable sound considering the bleedin awful room acoustics, possibly the worst room in the place, square, painted plaster walls, it almost echoed.

Power steering failed on the way back, I did two hours up the A1 like that. Woke up with arms like Popeye!

Toppsy
20-03-2017, 11:15
Yes I am intending to come to the meet and will bring some new speakers to the party.
I'm not sure if NickG will be able to join us on the day but if not I also hope to bring along the new LongDog P6 Mosfet monoblock amps that are something rather special.
Depending on room available in the car I'll be bring one at least 1-pr the following speakers:
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/IMG_2223.JPG
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/Deepdales_13.JPG
http://www.lurcher.org/nick/amp_pic/IMG_2284.JPG

vinyljunky
20-03-2017, 11:42
Like the look of the stand mounters with the front firing port look like they might not be fussy about placement in a room

Gazjam
20-03-2017, 17:33
Nice speakers Colin.
Bringing along my Nick special 300B poweramp again, with the Elrog valves.

Be good to hear it through your speakers maybe if efficiency ok?

Yes I am intending to come to the meet and will bring some new speakers to the party.
I'm not sure if NickG will be able to join us on the day but if not I also hope to bring along the new LongDog P6 Mosfet monoblock amps that are something rather special.
Depending on room available in the car I'll be bring one at least 1-pr the following speakers:
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/IMG_2223.JPG
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/Deepdales_13.JPG
http://www.lurcher.org/nick/amp_pic/IMG_2284.JPG

Macca
20-03-2017, 17:45
I wanna hear the ones in the middle photo.

RichB
20-03-2017, 19:41
I wanna hear the ones in the middle photo.

+1

Floyddroid
20-03-2017, 21:20
+2
+1

Floyddroid
20-03-2017, 21:20
Mik Rik and i are forming a posse for Nebo 8

Macca
20-03-2017, 22:35
Mik Rik and i are forming a posse for Nebo 8

No idea what that entails but go on...

Floyddroid
20-03-2017, 22:47
Me n im are teamin up with a joint effort.

No idea what that entails but go on...

mik_rik
21-03-2017, 21:41
Me n im are teamin up with a joint effort.

D'ya reckon a sort of special products division,Steve:eyebrows:

Floyddroid
21-03-2017, 22:14
Indeedly doodly.

D'ya reckon a sort of special products division,Steve:eyebrows:

RichB
22-03-2017, 23:54
Hi Rich can try and bring my Pioneer PL 630 ,bit awkward to move though, but can give it a go if you want. Mick

Cheers Mik, be good to get plenty of turntables there as it's the one thing I won't be bringing. I will however have a nice Arcam cd player, dac, amp n speakers and laptop full of tunes.

I've also recently acquired some nice LED par cans for the bands stage rig so I'll be bringing them. Look excellent placed behind all the lovely kit for photos. 2 of them have found their way into my listening room uplighting my kit on a slow fade through various colours. I swear they make the music sound better than any pricey mains cable ever will. :lol:

We listen with our eyes as well as ears don't we.

RichB
25-03-2017, 07:14
I think someone asked me previously if Les Wolstenholme would be attending this NEBO. Yes he has confirmed.

337alant
25-03-2017, 16:23
Good news Rich, great chap Les, his product's continue to give me a great deal of pleasure every day ;)
I look forward to hearing about his NCC 300 amplifier?:eyebrows:

Alan

Floyddroid
26-03-2017, 21:25
That's great nooz!
I think someone asked me previously if Les Wolstenholme would be attending this NEBO. Yes he has confirmed.

Ali Tait
27-03-2017, 21:25
Sorry guys, going to have to give this a miss unfortunately. :-(

Floyddroid
27-03-2017, 21:28
Sad to hear that Ali. Hope all s well?

RichB
27-03-2017, 23:09

Sorry to hear that Ali. I'll be in touch mate.

Ali Tait
28-03-2017, 05:00
Yes all good, my other half has surprised us with tickets to see Prof. Brian Cox on the same weekend.

Floyddroid
28-03-2017, 05:07
Nebo still seems the better option Ali.

Macca
28-03-2017, 07:35
yes, just a bit.

vinyljunky
28-03-2017, 07:39
No competition nebo8 all the way you'll be missed ali would like to have heard your slagel again think I got the spelling right

RichB
28-03-2017, 08:31
Yes all good, my other half has surprised us with tickets to see Prof. Brian Cox on the same weekend.

You mean you're choosing actual science over the voodoo and magic of our hobby? ;)

With Ali no longer able to come we need another suitably impressive system, speakers in particular, to fill the gap. Who will step in to fill the enormous void that Ali's OB filled?

vinyljunky
28-03-2017, 08:57
I could bring my kudos if your short on speakers

Macca
28-03-2017, 11:20
Bring them anyway if you can.

Gazjam
28-03-2017, 11:26
You mean you're choosing actual science over the voodoo and magic of our hobby? ;)

With Ali no longer able to come we need another suitably impressive system, speakers in particular, to fill the gap. Who will step in to fill the enormous void that Ali's OB filled?

Sure some of Mr Topps' creations might fit the bill Rich?

Shame your not going Ali, one less Scots Mafioso representing.
Coxey should be a good turn though?

Ali Tait
28-03-2017, 12:01
Would still like to go, only thing is she spent a fortune for the tickets, so can't turn it down.

RichB
28-03-2017, 14:07

More the merrier Steve, I'd like to hear them.

Floyddroid
28-03-2017, 15:30

Sounds good Steve

petrat
29-03-2017, 10:56

Yes, that'd be great, Steve! It'd probably be interesting for you to hear them in a bigger room, too?

If anyone would be interested, and there was a suitable system in need of one, I can bring along my Rega CD player.

337alant
16-04-2017, 13:27
Whats a CD player ?

Floyddroid
16-04-2017, 14:11
Yes, that'd be great, Steve! It'd probably be interesting for you to hear them in a bigger room, too?

If anyone would be interested, and there was a suitable system in need of one, I can bring along my Rega CD player.

Which Rega cd player is it?

Mickyricky
16-04-2017, 19:54
Which Rega cd player is it?
Steve..
From the look of Peters kit info ,it's a Rega Isis valve..
That's a cracker of a CD player ,very rarely comes up for sale

petrat
16-04-2017, 21:53
Yes, this one ...

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff384/petrat56/PetratHiFi%202013/023_zpst6541rfc.jpg (http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/petrat56/media/PetratHiFi%202013/023_zpst6541rfc.jpg.html)

Floyddroid
16-04-2017, 23:14
Yes, this one ...

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff384/petrat56/PetratHiFi%202013/023_zpst6541rfc.jpg (http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/petrat56/media/PetratHiFi%202013/023_zpst6541rfc.jpg.html)

I for one would love to hear that.

Floyddroid
17-04-2017, 19:50
Can i formally apply for a slot? Myself and Mik Rik will be collaborating on a joint effort this year so expect some special music ha ha.

brian2957
17-04-2017, 21:37
Can i formally apply for a slot? Myself and Mik Rik will be collaborating on a joint effort this year so expect some special music ha ha.

Who's playing the guitar and who's singing Steve ? :D

Love to be there :(

Floyddroid
17-04-2017, 22:54
Ha ha. Been practising my Jew's harp solo. Already loosened three of me fillings.

Love to be there :(:guitar::harp::rock:

RichB
17-04-2017, 23:39
Yes, this one ...

Ooh yeah, I'll be bringing an Arcam FMJ cd player so be interested in putting it up against the Rega.

RichB
17-04-2017, 23:40

Progtastic I dare say mate.

Look forward to it.

mik_rik
18-04-2017, 19:29

Love to be there :(

After Steve's dodgy dancing to ZZTop last time out,he's definately the front man.

brian2957
18-04-2017, 19:41
Why does that worry me Mick :lol:

mik_rik
18-04-2017, 20:06
Why does that worry me Mick :lol:

https://youtu.be/hcrUuCDFLOQ Got the backing group sorted,have to practice the standing on one leg without ending up needing a hip replacement:lol:

brian2957
18-04-2017, 20:14
:D

Qwin
23-04-2017, 09:42
NEBO 8 is coming round quick.

I have completed the next stage of my speaker experiments and getting some hours on them in preparation.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/SAP/sap_14C.JPG

I will be bringing these as part of a system with my vinyl front end Rich.

JohnJo
28-04-2017, 20:34
Rich, would you have room for one more?

I'm trying to go the planets to align to get to this as I'm in GB the week after and may be able to go early for NEBO.

If so I can bring Primaluna Prologue 5 KT120 PP amp, Tubehunter Quad 405 monoblocks, Naim CDS1 CD player and a passive preamp.

Should know by Wednesday.

Always dead jealous of you lot at these events :D

RichB
30-04-2017, 10:46
Rich, would you have room for one more?

I'm trying to go the planets to align to get to this as I'm in GB the week after and may be able to go early for NEBO.

If so I can bring Primaluna Prologue 5 KT120 PP amp, Tubehunter Quad 405 monoblocks, Naim CDS1 CD player and a passive preamp.

Should know by Wednesday.

Always dead jealous of you lot at these events :D

You'd be very welcome, we hope to see you there!

RichB
30-04-2017, 10:56
Again apologies if I'm late in responding to messages, I'm out of the country at the moment with occasional access to Internet. Back the day before NEBO.

Hopefully have replied to all the other PMs now and sorry if I've kept you hanging on for a response.

Still all systems go for the 6th and looking forward to seeing everybody there.

All the best.

R

Floyddroid
01-05-2017, 21:36
Should i be able to borrow an appropriate vehicle in which to transport them i may well bring me speakers.

vinyljunky
01-05-2017, 21:39
That would be awesome I've heard these they are special

Macca
01-05-2017, 22:13
That would be good.

Qwin
02-05-2017, 08:25
Should i be able to borrow an appropriate vehicle in which to transport them i may well bring me speakers.

Hope you can arrange something Steve, very nice speakers.

Floyddroid
02-05-2017, 21:58
Seriously thinking of bringing my old Tascam R2R

Floyddroid
03-05-2017, 05:58
Anyone taking a decent loading truck / sack Barrow?