PDA

View Full Version : Head to head: Sony CDP-XB920E Vs CDP-XB920E modified

Kris
18-12-2009, 19:47
I wrote this review about five years ago. I'd never written a review before, so I thought why not? Anyway, hope you like it.

Head to head: Sony CDP-XB920E Vs CDP-XB920E modified

http://www.thealizone.com/photos/audio/XB920Eheadtohead2.jpg

One of the major challenges CD player designers have to overcome is that of disc stability. Standard consumer grade mechanisms have a plastic clamp that engages once the disc has retracted into the player. Vibrations that occur once the disc is in motion (either from external sources or from the disc itself) are taken care of by the laser servo. The drawback being that the greater the servo has to work to track and focus the already moving laser head across the disc, the higher the resulting jitter and the poorer the sound quality. This problem is widely recognised and various manufacturers employ their own vibration reducing methods, the Teac VRDS (Vibration-Free Rigid Disc-Clamping System) being particularly successful and used by many audiophile equipment manufacturers.

Sony's unique answer to this problem, as first unveiled in their 1994 CDP-R10 was the "Fixed Pick-Up" mechanism, an arrangement where the optical reading laser is in a fixed position whereas the "vibration-resistant" spindle holding the spinning CD (held down by a metal 'puck') travels. There is no conventional 'tray', the user placing the CD directly on the mechanism, with the stabiliser or puck being placed on the CD, over the spindle (see picture). This well respected mechanism has held its own for many years and modified versions are still occasionally used by Sony in their showcase technology products, most notably during the unveiling of the new "Super Audio Compact Disc" standard.

http://www.thealizone.com/photos/audio/XB920Edrawerdetail.jpg
Proprietry Fixed Pick-Up mechanism

One of the few mass market CD players to use Sony's proprietary fixed pick-up mechanism was the mid to late 1990's £300 CDP-XB920E. Featuring Sony's Current Pulse type DAC, with four Coefficient Digital Filters selectable through a panel mounted rotary dial, the XB920E is a sturdily built player which employs Sony's improved "frame and beam" chassis made of metal frames in different shapes and sizes to control vibrations. Capable of holding its own amongst much higher priced players, this UK tuned Sony enjoys an excellent reputation and is highly sought after.

The XB920E sounds clean, and well balanced. An excellent soundstage with great depth and height, is accompanied by a tight revealing bass, razor sharp, but not overpowering treble, and a clear well focused midrange. This can be a ruthlessly revealing player and does not pander to the whims of poor quality recordings. Although sounding best fed with high quality jazz, classical, or folk this player is equally at home with well recorded rock where the tight bass adds an underpinning of musical tempo that lesser players lack. However, when compared to more expensive players, its failings become clear. It isn't as revealing as it first appears, it lacks warmth and definition, has a slightly over-exuberant treble and generally clouds the music in a fine veil. These are minor points at this price level though, and on a sound per pound basis, this Sony remains excellent value for money.

This player had been in the family since new and given the high build quality, excellent proprietary mechanism, user-friendly interface, and revealing well balanced sound quality, it was decided to invest in a tweaked version to see if the sound could be improved upon. The £150 modifications centred around the analogue signal path and included replacing standard components with Sanyo Oscons, Nichicon Audio Gold and Silver MICA, 1% Polystyrene & ELNA Silmic capacitors. 1% low PPM & 0.1% precision resistors were employed throughout in critical circuits. Extra damping was added to the mechanism and Carbon fibre matting was glued to the lid in order to damp down any remaining resonances.

http://www.thealizone.com/photos/audio/XB920Emodified.jpg .. http://www.thealizone.com/photos/audio/XB920Estandard.jpg
modified circuit board detail . . . . . standard circuit board detail

http://www.thealizone.com/photos/audio/XB920Elids.jpg
XB920E modified & standard lids side by side

Some very sceptical ears sat down to the listening session. Would the listeners be able to hear any difference? If so, would it be for the better or worse? We liked the sound of our XB920E, we knew it inside out. We didn't want to loose it. Surely changing a few circuit board components wouldn't make much difference? The unmodified XB920E already sounded superior to the previous reference, a £1000 1988 Marantz CD85 with the legendary CDM1Mk2 laser mechanism and TDA1541 Crown DAC which, surprisingly, sounded veiled and muddled in comparison. It must be pointed out though that system synergy is very important (as was found out later in this review) and in other systems the CD85 might sound more convincing than the XB920E.

From the very start of the session, even from the very first bar played, the difference in sound quality of these two Sonys was obvious. And it wasn't a subtle difference. The Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions Ambisonic CD is one of the most pure and well recorded albums we have ever heard. The unmodified player reproduces the sound in sufficient detail and space for the listener to imagine being there. Yet through the modified Sony, we didn't have to imagine anything. The clarity of the individual instruments gave the music a new lease of life, appearing tighter and coming across with more authority than previously heard. Harmonics were even more clearly audible, the timbre of each instrument more realistic than before. Yet even though it was easier to pick out individual instruments at will, the music still gelled together into a cohesive whole. The modified player extended the already excellent soundstage to such a degree that the sound almost achieved an extra dimension. The standard player now appeared amateurish and closed in by comparison. The already tight bass became even tighter and more controlled. The midrange appeared cleaner while the treble lost some of it's artificiality.

Turning to Sir John Geilguds narration of Peter and the Wolf, the most striking audible difference between the players was in Sir Johns voice itself. His warm familiar tones lost a hoarseness that had apparently infected the standard player. Other discs followed and it was obvious that the modified player had stripped back a veil that the standard player had thrown over the music. All aspects of the sound were improved, especially the dynamics which now appeared faster and under stricter control, the bass, which became tighter and more authoritative, and the soundstage, which increased in both depth and width.

In order to explore the bass reproduction of the modified player, TDL transmission line loudspeakers were drafted in from our secondary system to replace the reference B&W's. This turned out to be a total disaster. An already known but acceptable treble mismatch between the standard XB920E and the TDLs became unbearable, the modified player adding an extra dose of tizzy sibilance that the standard player had kept under control. TDL's are well known to sound over bright if mismatched, yet the increase in mismatch when compared to the standard player was unexpected. This points to a possible failing in the treble of the XB920E, probably due to the DAC.

Comparison with a reference audiophile CD player, the $3,495 Audio Research CD2, yielded interesting results. Admittedly, the CD2 sounded better overall than the modified Sony, however the Sony did not disgrace itself in such esteemed company. Often described as the "Switzerland of CD players" the CD2 is well known for it's low level resolution and absolute clarity and neutrality, yet the modified Sony managed to demonstrate a tighter control of bass frequencies.

In conclusion, the standard Sony XB920E is a fine, balanced sounding player that when partnered with the right speakers can give any budget conscious audiophile an analytical insight into high quality recorded music. The £150 modifications to the analogue output stage increase and expand on the standard players strengths, elevating the XB920E to true audiophile standards of definition and clarity that would be hard to beat this side of £1000.

Thanks to Dave Payne for the XB920E modifications, and without whom this review would have been impossible.

Macca
19-12-2009, 12:33
Intersting read for me, Kris, as I'm currently swapping betwen an XB930E and Cambridge 840c trying to decide which I prefer. (I'm not sure what the difference is between the 920E and 930E is? The transport looks identical at any rate). I don't find over bright treble a problem at all, if anything I would lie a touch more 'sparkle' but this is probably personal taste - I always prefer too 'bright' to 'too dull' if I have to choose between the two.

I've muddied the waters a bit in the comparisons by swapping interconnects between Audioquest Turquoise and the £20 Belden job - the 840c seems to prefer the Audioquest (more detial and ambience) whereas the Sony likes the Belden - it sounds a little 'soft with the Audioquest.

Is it still possible to get the mods done for the 920/930? Mine has only had a few hours use from new.

Kris
19-12-2009, 13:27
Hia Macca. I can't remember the difference between the 920 and 930 unfortunately, although I do remember that there were two versions of each, the standard ones with the headphone socket & circuit, and the UK tuned version without. Ours are the UK tuned versions without the headphone circuits.

We got our mods done for us and the £150 included labour and there was a lot of component replacing. I guess any competent electronic DIY person would be able upgrade the caps etc for you.

The next step for the Sony would be a Trichord Clock 2 @ £73.40

The unexpected over bright treble was a result of system mismatch between the CDP and the TDL speakers.

These Sony CD players were highly respected in their day and with modifications can still hold their own against far more expensive modern players, as I'm sure you've noticed comparing an unmodified 930 with the 840C, which itself is a highly rated player.

Covenant
19-12-2009, 13:44
Hi Kris,
I have this CD player as well and agree its a fine sturdy machine. Would it be possible for you to list the components that have been replaced?

Kris
19-12-2009, 22:30
All components in the analogue signal path have been replaced, including the resistors.

I do have the service manual with the circuit diagrams and component lists. If you'd like it, I can scan it in for you.

Interestingly, there's a few hidden features on this player, including a jitter meter! I'll say that again, it has a JITTER METER !!! I've enclosed an attachment of a pic I've just taken of my players jitter (playing an ordinary music track). On the left of the display is 08 this means that the laser is at the 0 focus bias point. On the right of the display is the number 14. This means (as far as I am aware) that the player has a jitter of 14 ps (picoseconds peak-to-peak). However, this isn't the total jitter of the player, just the jitter from the laser. This measurement is used to set the 0 focus bias point.

There is also a mechanism auto-check facility: With the player mech open and the unit turned on, put a disk in with the puck. Then press close + stop + music scan SIMULTANEOUSLY. It takes a few trys to get it right, then watch the player go through 6 self-check stages. The self-check auto-cycles, unless there is an error, it which case it will come up with the "Error" and the error number.

P.s. If anyone wants the details of how to access the jitter meter, just pm me.

Alex_UK
19-12-2009, 22:49
How exciting - Jitter Meter envy! :)

Macca
19-12-2009, 23:54
How exciting - Jitter Meter envy! :)

Yep! Guaranteed to impress the birds.:)

Covenant
20-12-2009, 14:39
All components in the analogue signal path have been replaced, including the resistors

I do have the service manual with the circuit diagrams and component lists. If you'd like it, I can scan it in for you.

I just realised that I wouldnt get any benefit from this as I use a DAC but thanks for the offer.

Rare Bird
14-02-2010, 16:08
Only just noticed this tread intresting XB930E is a better player tho

Covenant
14-02-2010, 16:26
Only just noticed this tread intresting XB930E is a better player tho

Whats the difference then Andre?

Rare Bird
14-02-2010, 16:53
Well i'm saying it's better! The '920' doesnt have headphone out with volume control.The standard '930' does but the '930' has a 'UK Special Edition' version like i have,'920' doesnt..The 'UK Spec' actually has the '930' headphone socket omitted..'930' has some tweeks inside to make it a 'UK Spec machine'.They look nothing special but sound great.Fixed lazer mechs are the proper way of holding a CD.

Here's mine (See the red badge to the left)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/Sony01.jpg

Covenant
14-02-2010, 17:30
Do you not use a dac Andre?

Rare Bird
14-02-2010, 18:25
Do you not use a dac Andre?

Not really tried one on it..It has both coax & digital outs..I'll give it a try

Kris
14-02-2010, 19:48
What Andre has said makes sense about the 930UK having upgraded components compared to the 920. I used to know as I compared the 920 with the 930 when I originally bought it. But it was a long time ago . . .

Certainly the mods to the analogue side of the 920 raise it to extremely high level, so plugging a DAC into the 930 should do similar, if not more. The Transport is first class, maybe not Sonys high end Top loading transport, but the next best thing. Stick a Trichord clock in and I doubt it would be easy to find a better transport.

Covenant
14-02-2010, 19:59
I shall have a think about upgrading the clock on my 920. The worry, of course, is how much life is left in the laser and mechanics despite it feeling like its bomb-proof.

Kris
14-02-2010, 20:06
One question I do have to both Andre and Jerry, which filter setting do you use? I've always felt happiest with setting 2, but it's very subjective.

Rare Bird
14-02-2010, 20:10
Hi Kris
Yes setting 2 is what i use..Tell you something the drawer on this machine is the quietest & smoothest drawer i've ever seen at any price level.

Rare Bird
14-02-2010, 20:19
I shall have a think about upgrading the clock on my 920. The worry, of course, is how much life is left in the laser and mechanics despite it feeling like its bomb-proof.

'930' uses SONY 'KSS-213B' lazer as does the '920 you can still buy these for peanuts

Covenant
14-02-2010, 20:20
I only tried it once Kris and didn't notice any difference. That was before I got the 681 headphones which are very revealing. I shall make a point of trying the filters with my cans on. Watch this space.....

Kris
14-02-2010, 20:29
According to the service manuals, the 920 and 930 share the same mechanisms.

It isn't the KSM-213CCM though which is a fixed spindle, moving laser mech http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/32-15500

The 920 ans 930 have the CDM36C-14 mech with KSS-213B/KN laser, according to the service manual.

Kris.

Rare Bird
14-02-2010, 21:13
O shit yeh your right Kris. i'll go ammend my cock up :doh:

Here's one of a handfull for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KSS213B-KSS-213B-CD-Pickup-Replacement-SONY_W0QQitemZ250571966222QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item3a5740c70e

Covenant
14-02-2010, 21:13
I have just listened to three Roxy Music tracks (can you tell I am old?) rapidly changing the filter setting. No difference at all. I suspect the filter only affect the analogue stage and is bypassed when using a dac.

Macca
14-02-2010, 21:28
Not really tried one on it..It has both coax & digital outs..I'll give it a try

I've got a 930 and never realised it has a co-ax digital out...Was going to post that it hadn't got one but then thought I'd check first - and blow me down!

Rare Bird
14-02-2010, 21:29
I think your right Jerry, i'll connect the DAC tomorrow & see

Edit:

Tried my DAC this morning didnt like the altered sound..I think i'm gonna look out for an old Musical Fidelity 'Digilog' had TDA1541, you know the only acceptable multi legged little critter ;)

Marco
14-02-2010, 23:48
Nice player that, Andre. Sonys rule! :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

Rare Bird
15-02-2010, 13:56
Nice player that, Andre. Sonys rule! :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

Nearly bought a 'CDP-555ESD' other day but marks on the facia put me off.

Covenant
22-02-2010, 20:30
Any thoughts on this clock and is it suitable:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1PPM-33-8688-16-9344-MHz-Low-Jitter-TCXO-Crystal-DAC_W0QQitemZ300393521880QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item45f0d962d8

Kris
22-02-2010, 21:06
The clock frequency of the 920 is 45.1584 MHz so that one wouldn't work. Sorry.

Covenant
22-02-2010, 21:31
Thanks Kris, are the cheap Far East ones ok?

Covenant
22-02-2010, 21:52
Here is the Sony one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1PPM-45-1584-22-5792-MHz-Low-Jitter-TCXO-for-Sony-CDP_W0QQitemZ300393904027QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item45f0df379b

Rare Bird
23-02-2010, 00:12
Your better using a dedicated power supply for the clock replacement instaed of the players power..I think i'd rather stick with Trichord & the never connected power supply.

geneticaurora
16-09-2010, 15:17
O my dear god, I knew this player was something special but I didn't realise it was that well engineered. And to think I got this for £70 I am now feeling the cat really has had it's cream. I would really REALLY love to know how to preform the mods! and to think I was going to sell it

Currently have this partnerd with an Arcam Alpha 9 amp and Heybrook HB1 speakers. Although as much as I love the Heybrook HB1 speakers I think they are a little over excited for the Sony and Arcam...any thoughts?

Marco
16-09-2010, 15:26
Hi 'geneticaurora',

Welcome to AOS :)

Could you please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community by supplying your first name, basic geographic location, system details and music tastes, as this is the requirement for all new members joining AOS.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

alberti
10-12-2011, 12:32
All components in the analogue signal path have been replaced, including the resistors.

Interestingly, there's a few hidden features on this player, including a jitter meter! I'll say that again, it has a JITTER METER !!! I've enclosed an attachment of a pic I've just taken of my players jitter (playing an ordinary music track). On the left of the display is 08 this means that the laser is at the 0 focus bias point. On the right of the display is the number 14. This means (as far as I am aware) that the player has a jitter of 14 ps (picoseconds peak-to-peak). However, this isn't the total jitter of the player, just the jitter from the laser. This measurement is used to set the 0 focus bias point.

There is also a mechanism auto-check facility: With the player mech open and the unit turned on, put a disk in with the puck. Then press close + stop + music scan SIMULTANEOUSLY. It takes a few trys to get it right, then watch the player go through 6 self-check stages. The self-check auto-cycles, unless there is an error, it which case it will come up with the "Error" and the error number.

P.s. If anyone wants the details of how to access the jitter meter, just pm me.

Kris, I tried to PM you - I just bought this machine. But you do not have the visitor messages on!

Rens
07-12-2020, 09:34
Any new on jitter-meter? How can I get acces to it ?