PDA

View Full Version : Online Hi-Fi Magazine

ReggieB
07-01-2017, 13:18
Has anyone got a recommendation for an online Hi-Fi magazine - preferably UK-centric?

I used to subscribe to the online Hi-Fi World, but they changed provider and the new system doesn't seem to work in my browser (I use Chrome or Firefox via a Linux OS). I like Stereophile a lot (http://www.stereophile.com) but it has a U.S. bias - so interesting articles about kit I can't get easily in the UK.

I'd prefer a magazine that doesn't just concentrate on esoteric stuff I could never afford (that's what I liked about Hi-Fi world - it had a good mix of the affordable and only wishable)

Any ideas?

Stryder5
07-01-2017, 16:49
Has anyone got a recommendation for an online Hi-Fi magazine - preferably UK-centric?

I used to subscribe to the online Hi-Fi World, but they changed provider and the new system doesn't seem to work in my browser (I use Chrome or Firefox via a Linux OS). I like Stereophile a lot (http://www.stereophile.com) but it has a U.S. bias - so interesting articles about kit I can't get easily in the UK.

I'd prefer a magazine that doesn't just concentrate on esoteric stuff I could never afford (that's what I liked about Hi-Fi world - it had a good mix of the affordable and only wishable)

Any ideas?

I found Hi-FI World online, sorry to hear it doesn't work on your browsers, if it's any help it works on iPad.

mikeyb
07-01-2017, 16:51
Hi-fi Pig do a free version online

ReggieB
07-01-2017, 17:49
Hi-Fi pig looks like just what I'm looking for ... and it's free! Thank you

farflungstar
07-01-2017, 18:12
HiFi Pig - One of my favourite online magazines.

Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk

icehockeyboy
07-01-2017, 18:21
They do some great reviews too.

farflungstar
07-01-2017, 18:26
They are the least pretentious and down to earth reviewers who usually tell it how it is. I read stereophile but take much of what fremer says with a pinch of salt.

Adey

Jimbo
07-01-2017, 19:20
Rob I use this site which has loads of sites linked in which get updated each day. Not uk based but lots of interesting stuff in one place.

http://www.dailyaudiophile.com/

Floyddroid
08-01-2017, 09:42
Hi-fi Pig do a free version online

Tiz good too

Spectral Morn
08-01-2017, 12:15
Online there are a number of good magazines, 6 Moons, Positive Feedback, Stereo Times, Dagogo, and ToneAudio being among the best looking, but they are all USA centric.

For my money (metaphorically speaking) Stereophile and 6 Moons are what I regularly read online.

HiFi Pig doesn't feature anywhere on my desire to read list, shallow, superficial, amateurish, inconsequential, loaded with badly placed advertisements, and poorly written reviews that are in my opinion pretty much worthless - sound bites. And a big bug bear of mine, manufacturer/distributor supplied advertorial/news being put up as a review - the site meta data draws a search to it as being a review. Pig would need to substantially raise its game before I would ever seek its opinion out.

Macca
08-01-2017, 12:46
6 Moons you have to pay to have your kit reviewed. Hardly a paragon of virtue.

Spectral Morn
08-01-2017, 12:51
6 Moons you have to pay to have your kit reviewed. Hardly a paragon of virtue.

I don't overly like their business model, but at least he is open about it unlike many others. The reviews are still worth a read in my opinion.

struth
08-01-2017, 12:54
I guess youve gotta pay, in one way or another for any major review...even minor ones to an extent i suppose. Reviewers gotta eat

Spectral Morn
08-01-2017, 13:00
I guess youve gotta pay, in one way or another for any major review...even minor ones to an extent i suppose. Reviewers gotta eat

Yes, its a business and a way folks earn a living. I know many want folks to do it all for free, not earn a living etc and only if that is the case is it righteous writing and opinion. Seriously..... folks have a right to earn a living, if folks don't like what they do to do that, then don't read it, walk on by.

I read 6 Moons editorial about that and the proposed new model and it was refreshing to read, very honest. Do I feel this means there is a reduction in honesty regarding the writing ? No I don't. At least with 6 Moons its transparent. Don't agree, don't like this then don't read it.

Pig seeks to do the same, big difference is 6 Moons is professional, looks good, has great writing and is an informative read. Pig offers nothing over forums, in my opinion. My only criticism of Moons is the ad placement between the text bugs me, as it breaks it up in away that I don't like.

Macca
08-01-2017, 13:06
Not that simple. You pay for a review then that review becomes an advertisement, not a review. And I'm including taking advertising on the back of a good review in that as well.

Might as well just get the marketing men to write the review and cut out the middleman entirely.

ReggieB
08-01-2017, 13:06
I'd not come across 6 moons before. Looks interesting. Thank you.

struth
08-01-2017, 13:17
That would only be the case if there was an agreement the review had to be glowing. In that case, it is not a review but a shill. So it will obviously depend on the morality of the reviewer/reviewing company.
Amazon used to be full of reviews that had been bought. There was no obvious demand for said review to be glowing, but the person reviewing got the item either free or cheap. He would of course be dropped if he gave a bad review i,d imagine.
Ive been asked hundreds of times to do it, and refused.

Spectral Morn
08-01-2017, 13:17
I'd not come across 6 moons before. Looks interesting. Thank you.

I think it read better in its early years, ads were less prominently placed and the mix of gear suited my interests better. These days more computer audio focused, but its still interesting.

This is their model read and agree, read and don't and move along..... http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/why/why.html

The first article about this back in 2014 http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/broken/1.html

Macca
08-01-2017, 13:33
I do read 6Moons and others but I don't read anyone's reviews to make buying decisions. I only look at the spec, if I like that I buy it and decide on the sound for myself. Then I read the reviews, to see if they agree with me :)

Stereophile is good go to for the specs.

Spectral Morn
08-01-2017, 13:43
I do read 6Moons and others but I don't read anyone's reviews to make buying decisions. I only look at the spec, if I like that I buy it and decide on the sound for myself. Then I read the reviews, to see if they agree with me :)

Stereophile is good go to for the specs.

Doing that is a potential recipe for disaster.

Clive
08-01-2017, 16:56
I'm not comfortable with the business model 6moons use but I suppose at least they are open about. Some of the writing turns me off, I often give up part way through an article.

There's also www.enjoythemusic.com which is funded by adverts which are not required for reviews to take place.

Arkless Electronics
08-01-2017, 17:21
Can't stand any of 'em but Stereophile personally. 6moons is verbal diarrhoea of the worst sort and they do most reviews using equipment I don't consider hi fi , such as SET amps... waste of time.
No review should be paid for in any way shape or form and magazines and reviewers must be 100% impartial IMHO. In the case of on line reviews/magazines then one is not even paying a cover price and so I can't see how it's possible for them to be any more use than a chocolate fire guard... their income must be coming entirely from advertisers etc and so any and all reviews can be expected to be completely biased... with no doubt the company paying the most for a review getting the most "stars" or greatest recommendation... No names no pack drill but one of the sites mentioned in this thread tried to solicit a bribe from me in order to get a good review... I told them to shove it where the sun don't shine, as I would always do to anything underhand such as this. The review did not take place.

stupinder
09-01-2017, 15:06
HiFi Pig - One of my favourite online magazines.

Adey

Aaw thanks, Adey. Now have around 62 000 unique readers a month, so, despite what one of the mods on here thinks, we must be doing something right. To set the record straight, our news section carries news that is supplied by companies (obviously) and is completely separate from the review section and this is clear in the meta. Cheers, Stu

stupinder
09-01-2017, 15:09
Tiz good too

Thanks Steve. The fiver's in the post !

stupinder
09-01-2017, 15:10
They do some great reviews too.

Thanks Craig.

Yomanze
13-01-2017, 16:26
Not 6Loons. Everything makes a difference to them to the extent where a hardened subjectivist raises their eyebrows. For something a bit meatier have enjoyed the Linear Audio pieces.

I like the enthusiasts background of HiFi Pig, but would like to see some negative reviews too to add some balance and allow for some bearings to be set between what is considered good and bad.

Traditional rags, Stereophile for me.

stupinder
18-01-2017, 17:55
Scuse over excitement but Hifi Pig is one of only five English language media quoted (and with the biggest quote of all) in the official Invitation To Munich High-End brochure!!! #feelingproud

stupinder
18-01-2017, 17:58
Not 6Loons. Everything makes a difference to them to the extent where a hardened subjectivist raises their eyebrows. For something a bit meatier have enjoyed the Linear Audio pieces.

I like the enthusiasts background of HiFi Pig, but would like to see some negative reviews too to add some balance and allow for some bearings to be set between what is considered good and bad.

Traditional rags, Stereophile for me.
This comes from when we started and us only been able to get gear from Fred in his shed. I didn't want to be the one o slate a product and see it ruin a blokes little business...i also don't think folk want to read about crap kit...hence the snoofling out what's hot in hifi thing we used. We explain it all in the faqs and we're pretty up front about why we do it !

Macca
18-01-2017, 18:19
.i also don't think folk want to read about crap kit...!

I think they do. Nothing more entertaining than a review that absolutely slams the product.

Not that I'm telling you how to run your mag or anything, seems to be doing well. Personally I like to read about the problem areas, not how good it is. It is the problem areas you have to live with if you are going to buy it and nothing is perfect.

stupinder
19-01-2017, 18:45
I think they do. Nothing more entertaining than a review that absolutely slams the product.

Not that I'm telling you how to run your mag or anything, seems to be doing well. Personally I like to read about the problem areas, not how good it is. It is the problem areas you have to live with if you are going to buy it and nothing is perfect. Nothing is perfect as you say and why we have the AT A GLANCE section where pros and cons are highlighted...which are themselves drawn out from the main body text.