PDA

View Full Version : Chord CPM2600 integrated amp - Review & Blog

jandl100
17-12-2009, 07:53
I've had a valve amp based system for quite a while now and felt that it was time for a bit of a change.

From the sublime to the ridiculous, perhaps. :eyebrows: ... Perusing eBay I came across this little baby.

Bright & soulless are often descriptors used for Chord amps. Well, if I wanted a change from toobs this seemed an ideal candidate! :lol:

Picked it up a few days back.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/ChordCPM2600f1.jpg

and from the rear ...

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/ChordCPM2600r.jpg

In a blingy way, it looks stunning, imo. :eek:

Note that there are no connector name labels by the sockets. None at all! :scratch: No documentation came with the amp, but it is available for download from the Chord website and luckily, in my Googling research prior to purchase I had come across a photo of the rear of an example from later in production when the numpties had been harangued into providing decent labelling! :lol:

There is a HiFi News review of the amp here http://www.davewhitter.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/chord%202600%20%20%20ampllifiers.pdf. It's, err, rather positive! - and also influenced my buying decision!

... oh, and the remote is massively impressive, too.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/Chordampremote.jpg

The main operational oddity is that there are two independent input 'buses' - this to ensure that with 2 tape loops you cannot get that speaker destroying feedback howl. Doesn't take long to get it sussed though.

First impressions, just swapping out my old UnicoPRE valve hybrid pre and Melody valve amp, were of a very transparent and detailed sound. But too bright, a bit of a sting at the top for classical listening anyway - I know some rockheads who would fall in love with it straight away!

I've been using some 5N purity silver balanced cables between my DAC and amp with a very clean sound. Out they came and in went some warm & fruity Cambridge Audio Azur balanced cables - better but still too bright. So, out with the Silver High Breed silver plated speaker cables and in with my old Arrow bi-wire copper cables. Yup, much better. Pure copper cables all the way are the secret of success for me with this amp. (Sorry cable unbelievers, that's just the way I hear it!).

Listening the first night to a staged production on DVD of Gilbert & Sullivan's operetta Patience. Lordy - I was hearing small details (the rustle of clothing etc, background footsteps) that I had never noticed before and that made the musical experience so much more real - and I've played this on all manner of systems in the past. The retrieval of fine detail is second to none from the Chord, imho.

The soundsatge was a bit flat, but pointing my speakers in a bit (unusually ime, they had sounded best with no toe-in before the Chord amp came) has sorted that reasonably well - still a bit of speaker tweaking to do probably, but the system is sounding fab. Even at very high levels there's no harshness, but there was still a bit of brightness. Finally swapping in some (previously shunned and hated 'cos it sounded so boring) Van Damme cabling has sorted out the tonality pretty much perfectly, I think. Must admit, I never thought I'd have kind words to say about Van Damn cables, but synergy does seem to be the watchword here. :scratch: Hoots!! - maybe Mr Toy is right after all. :doh::lol:

Lots more listening to do - and probably a fair bit of system tweaking! - but this is off to a very good start. If I wanted a change from a valve-based sound, it delivers that in spades! Must admit I am enjoying it enormously at the moment. :)

jandl100
18-12-2009, 08:43
Well, this is interesting (although no-one but me probably thinks so! :lol:).

As time goes by, slowly my system's sound sinks into a miasma of bland boringness. :scratch:

Yesterday I swapped back in a couple of my regular cables - out with the usually-boring Van Damme and in with some Silver High Breed Coherence i/c cables. Out with the somewhat laid-back Missing Link RCA digital cable and in with the XLO balanced digi cable.

By gum! - back comes clarity, image focus and musical leading edges! :cool: In fact, I have a suspicion that it is continuing to improve and that it will exceed my system's pre-Chord abilities all-round in fairly short order.
Must try some more cable swaps - mayhap my Hitachi i/c's will improve things further. And then there's my SHB speaker cable ...

My current theory, for what it is worth, is that the Chord gear is like Wadia - it needs a week or maybe more of being switched on to get into its stride. Before that happens there is a bright and 2D sound. I think the Chord amp is finally beginning to show its true capabilities. :)

Spectral Morn
18-12-2009, 10:23

As time goes by, slowly my system's sound sinks into a miasma of bland boringness. :scratch:

Yesterday I swapped back in a couple of my regular cables - out with the usually-boring Van Damme and in with some Silver High Breed Coherence i/c cables. Out with the somewhat laid-back Missing Link RCA digital cable and in with the XLO balanced digi cable.

By gum! - back comes clarity, image focus and musical leading edges! :cool: In fact, I have a suspicion that it is continuing to improve and that it will exceed my system's pre-Chord abilities all-round in fairly short order.
Must try some more cable swaps - mayhap my Hitachi i/c's will improve things further. And then there's my SHB speaker cable ...

My current theory, for what it is worth, is that the Chord gear is like Wadia - it needs a week or maybe more of being switched on to get into its stride. Before that happens there is a bright and 2D sound. I think the Chord amp is finally beginning to show its true capabilities. :)

Your right Jerry, it needs a week + to warm up.

Now all you need to sort things out is the matching phono stage (Oh yes I forgot I have one of those for sale....well, well ;):))

I must say that I didn't like Chord at one time, but a well set up/fully warmed up Chord set up is very good (not valves, but nothing SS ever is). I have a Chord1 CD player and its very good, but needs a week in standby to sound its best.

Nice/interesting well written review...thank you.

Regards D S D L

dazzler9000
18-12-2009, 10:35

I'm interested..... I love Chord kit, I've never been lucky enough to hear any yet, but I might go and have a listen at a dealer one day.

Keep us posted on your views.

jandl100
18-12-2009, 10:49
Your right Jerry, it needs a week + to warm up.

I must say that I didn't like Chord at one time, but a well set up/fully warmed up Chord set up is very good (not valves, but nothing SS ever is).

Yes, I am beginning to understand how Chord gear gets its bright/etched/harsh/unmusical reputation in some quarters. :bulb:

Maybe it's hard for a reviewer these days (or a dealer dem, of course) to give them the time they need to come on song. A dealer switching it on 30 minutes before the punter arrives for a dem will not do! :doh:

jandl100
18-12-2009, 10:51
Now all you need to sort things out is the matching phono stage (Oh yes I forgot I have one of those for sale....well, well ;):))

:)

Thanks, but I seem to be sorted with my little Loricraft Missing Link 'stage! :cool:

Spectral Morn
18-12-2009, 11:36

Thanks, but I seem to be sorted with my little Loricraft Missing Link 'stage! :cool:

No problem....though balanced to balanced will probably sound better...

I will stick it on E-Bay at some stage.

Regards D S D L

Puffin
18-12-2009, 17:23
I have always loved the look of Chord amps. Do you mind telling how much you paid?

jandl100
18-12-2009, 20:32
I have always loved the look of Chord amps. Do you mind telling how much you paid?

£1395 plus a return car trip to Watford. :)

StanleyB
18-12-2009, 22:35
And you did not even pass by me:(.

jandl100
18-12-2009, 22:38
And you did not even pass by me:(.

Argh. Damn. I didn't even consider that I was in your neighbourhood, Stan. :doh:

Sorry. Next time! :)

MartinT
19-12-2009, 23:31
Jerry, your findings match mine exactly and is why I leave my Chord switched on permanently. I use all-silver cabling (balanced) and silver speaker cables and my system is incredibly transparent without being bright.

As I said in another thread, the Chord needs clean throughout the chain.

jandl100
20-12-2009, 07:48
Jerry, your findings match mine exactly and is why I leave my Chord switched on permanently. I use all-silver cabling (balanced) and silver speaker cables and my system is incredibly transparent without being bright.

As I said in another thread, the Chord needs clean throughout the chain.

Thanks Martin. :)

I think my Chord amp is still coming up to speed - every day I'm sure there are still incremental benefits. From what you say, I think mine still has some further smoothing to do - I still can't use my 5N purity silver cabling - the system is still a bit undernourished tonally when I try it - too clean! I'll try them again in a day or two and see if that has changed - but in the meantime my somewhat fruity sounding Cambridge Audio (!) Azur balanced cables are doing just fine. A balanced connection between my Theta DAC and the Chord amp is definitely the way to go, ime so far.

.... Listening to Bruckner's 4th symphony late last night (Muti/Berlin Phil/EMI) at pretty much realistic levels ... a huge orchestral presence and, oh, those horns! ...magnificent! :eek:

MartinT
20-12-2009, 10:47
Listening to Bruckner's 4th symphony late last night (Muti/Berlin Phil/EMI) at pretty much realistic levels ... a huge orchestral presence and, oh, those horns! ...magnificent! :eek:

Ooh, I have the Eugen Jochum boxed set - fabulous, as you say. Have you tried the ninth? A truly immersive experience.

jandl100
20-12-2009, 10:51
Ooh, I have the Eugen Jochum boxed set - fabulous, as you say. Have you tried the ninth? A truly immersive experience.

Which Jochum set? DG or EMI? I thought the EMI/Dresden set was OK but I preferred the earlier DG. The DG Jochum 9th is my 2nd fave recording of the work, after Lennie Bernstein (also on DG) (I have about 25 Bruckner 9th recordings, I think! I'm a Bruckner nutcase. :mental:).

MartinT
20-12-2009, 12:50
Which Jochum set? DG or EMI?

It's the EMI boxed set but I have six other ninth recordings, including the DG Jochum, which is magnificent. I was lucky enough to see him live once at the Albert Hall many years ago. He was conducting the Vienna Phil, resting against a stool, and commanded them with an iron grip.

dazzler9000
20-12-2009, 17:34

That's a pretty good price isn't it........ It looks in mint codition as well, congrats!

MartinT
20-12-2009, 18:20
It's a fantastic price. The retail price of my power amp now is eye watering and you rarely see them on the used market.

DSJR
21-12-2009, 09:28
I just cannot get on with gear that needs shedloads of time to come on song. I suspect that in pro circles, these things are powered 24/7 so the warm-up issue doesn't apply. The Bryston preamp I had was like this - flat, bright and veiled until at least 24 hours had passed, by which time it went through a transformation. My Croft is there (better?)within minutes

I used to have gear left on all the time and when I went to valves, the power bill dropped by at least £15 per quarter - and this was twenty years ago...

jandl100
21-12-2009, 10:03
I just cannot get on with gear that needs shedloads of time to come on song.

Yep, I know what you mean, Dave.
And the Chord isn't merely "OK" when cold - it is harsh and bright. Luvvly-jubbly now it's warmed up though. :)

Must admit that I have heard a Bryston pre at a dealer dem (he just plugged it in and used it cold). I wasn't impressed to say the least - but he made no mention of a need for warm-up so I just dismissed it! :doh: Perhaps as big a mistake as those who think that Chord is bright and harsh.

The Chord does give off a fair bit of heat (which is very welcome at the moment!) so it can't be cheap to run 24/7. But .... it does have a very transparent and lucid sound, and I can understand why the brand has a loyal band of followers. As I mentioned previously, the detail retrieval is the best I have heard, but not etched or hyped up. Definitely an enjoyable component and a "keeper" for me, within the bounds of my definition of the word! :eyebrows:

DSJR
21-12-2009, 10:16
I only know the 1200 poer amp of old and this one sounded grainy and thick when first switched on. After a few hours it massively improved, but as KJ developed as an Ab Sounds outlet primarily, the Chord was sold off and that was it, as far as I'm aware..

The Bryston pre I had was the BP25 with phono stage, using discrete class A gain blocks. After 24 hours, the sound was significantly better, almost sweet toned and very much clearer. The BP26 which replaced it had a couple of component (quality?) tweaks inside and a much larger and more expensive power supply, with separate rails for each stage (although it could also be used as an upgrade to the model I had). I suspect this answered much of my initial findings by tackling the important bits and getting the circuit stable more quickly, if you see what I mean.

If you're happy to leave on, then great :) This maker does spend a goodly amount on finish and construction too...

jandl100
21-12-2009, 11:23
This maker does spend a goodly amount on finish and construction too...

Hmmm, yes .... tbh, that has always put me off Chord in the past - I'd rather spend my ££ on sound quality internals than a shiny bling casework and finish. But at the used price I got I thought it was a worth a punt - and I wanted to find out what (if anything!) the Chord fanboyz were on about. And now I know - and I'm pretty impressed! :eek:

Marc B
23-12-2009, 09:25
Jerry, your findings are the same as mine with every amp I've had. Even with S/H kit.

It's pointless even setting the speakers up properly for the first week as the balance changes that much.

I'm thinking it must be the new load that the different speakers have or something.

Even my power amp which has just been repaired sounded completely different and had lost its grunt into the lower end. It seems to be slowly comming back on form after 10 hours of being switched on though.

Glad you like your Chord amp though , looks amazing !

I think you should aim for the complete matching system for the ultimate bling :)

MartinT
23-12-2009, 09:46
After my Chord was returned from its service it sounded horrible due to being so cold from exposure in the courier's van. Pumping a load of hi-watt music through it helped bring it up to temperature fairly quickly. However, leaving it on permanently is the best solution and isn't too eco-unfriendly since the idle current is very low.

BTW, Chord's service department were very helpful in replacing the noisy relays and bringing the circuit up to latest spec. Inexpensive, too.

jandl100
23-12-2009, 10:47
BTW, Chord's service department were very helpful in replacing the noisy relays and bringing the circuit up to latest spec. Inexpensive, too.

Ah, that's interesting.

The only slight niggle with mine is that the volume control tends to stick at very low levels (say up to 6 or 7 out of 100) when using the remote control. Not a great concern as 99% of my listening seems to be between 30-60. I'm pretty sure the volume knob is just snagging the casework in that position.

Where are Chord? - maybe I can arrange to have a quick service sometime.

jandl100
23-12-2009, 10:54
Hi Marc - I recognise that avatar from somewhere! :)

Jerry, your findings are the same as mine with every amp I've had. Even with S/H kit.

Must admit I've not found that myself ... maybe I haven't tried enough gear? :scratch: :lol: The Chord is certainly an extreme example anyway.

I think you should aim for the complete matching system for the ultimate bling :)

Now there's a thought. I have a sneaking suspicion that too much Chord kit lined up in series might be a bit too 'clean' for my tastes. It would be fun to find out, though.

Marc B
23-12-2009, 11:00
you could do this to your speakers to fix the errr "clean"

pic nicked from the classe forum.. genius !

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/ptwalker/Speaker%20collection/tweetercheck002.jpg

jandl100
23-12-2009, 11:18
:lol:

Probably better to just get better matched components!

I have a tweeter level control on my Infinity speakers and that is set a tad on the low side with the Chord.

MartinT
23-12-2009, 11:57
Where are Chord?

They're in Kent:
http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/

MartinT
23-12-2009, 12:01
I think you should aim for the complete matching system for the ultimate bling

Taken in jest, but not the best way to proceed. For instance, I compared the Chord 4000 preamp and it was comprehensively outperformed by the Pass Labs at a similar price. Always best to go for the best component at every stage.

Themis
23-12-2009, 16:32
you could do this to your speakers to fix the errr "clean"

pic nicked from the classe forum.. genius !

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/ptwalker/Speaker%20collection/tweetercheck002.jpg

It's a Belt improvement ? Nice ! :lol:

jandl100
05-01-2010, 10:42
Just a quick update ....

After 3+ weeks of being permanently on, the Chord is I believe still improving .... seems stupid, I know, but I'm sure it's gaining further in purity and soundstage depth and image palpability.

I went back to my old Melody SP3 amp the other day just as a sanity check that I wasn't simply getting used to the Chord sound - perhaps it really is bright and screechy as a common view holds about Chord, and I had just adjusted? (or my ears had shut down in self defence!)

Nope - whilst the Melody is not a laid back pipe&slippers machine, it is of 'sensible' if somewhat forward tonality - and the Chord was very little different. So the Chord hasn't scoured my ears out and re-arranged my sensibilities.

It is, without doubt, a damn fine amp - and one that I would happily put up against valve as well as solid state competition. It is perhaps the purest sounding solid state I have ever heard. Which surprises me in no small way and definitely confounds my expectations! You just have to leave it turned on. :)

MartinT
05-01-2010, 11:31
It is perhaps the purest sounding solid state I have ever heard.

My findings exactly, and why I'm on my second Chord power amp.

DSJR
05-01-2010, 11:39
And leaving it on all the time is a reason I couldn't look at a Chord even if I wanted to - had all that nonsense twenty years ago and I'm not as comfortably off these days...:)

Surely Chord's designer(s) should be looking at what it is in the circuit that causes this (transistors or caps biased too low or summat similar taking too long to "form") and deal with it, but as I think I said before, in a pro environment, these things are left on 24/7 anyway, so it probably doesn't matter to Chord at the moment, as long as they're getting the orders..

Spectral Morn
05-01-2010, 15:33
I have found the same to be true of the Chapter Audio Preface and Couplet pre-power combination. These were designed by 2 guys who used to work for Chord, Duncan Shipton being the main man (nice guy as well, met him at a show once).

Its one of those issues I for one would love an explanation.

Regards D S D L

Ali Tait
05-01-2010, 18:04
I believe Chord uses SM power supplies? Maybe something to do with this.

jandl100
05-01-2010, 19:54
Just checking on the Chapter Audio website, and they do use Switch Mode power supplies as well ... hmmmm :scratch:

Ali Tait
05-01-2010, 20:28
Dunno,but the one time I heard Chord stuff at a show,yes,it sounded harsh and screechy.

jandl100
05-01-2010, 21:46
As a guide for those familiar with it - I have just received a Croft Series 5 mk2S power amp - it's brighter sounding than the well-warmed Chord. :)

Ali Tait
05-01-2010, 21:54
Maybe that needs to warm up!

dazzler9000
05-01-2010, 22:36
Urrrmmmm, I'd like one of these now.....

How does it drive your speakers? as I'd be a little worried about the power rating. 120w doesn't seem that much compared to other amps.

MartinT
05-01-2010, 22:37
Chord frequently use Wilson Benesch speakers at their hi-fi shows. Seriously poor speakers (cold and harsh) and a mismatch with their equipment. I've often expressed my disappointment to them but they remain unmoved.

jandl100
09-01-2010, 09:27
Urrrmmmm, I'd like one of these now.....

How does it drive your speakers? as I'd be a little worried about the power rating. 120w doesn't seem that much compared to other amps.

Fine - it drives them with no problem, even on big scale stuff.

But then my old 15wpc Cary monoblocks did, too, as does my current 'other' amp a Croft 25wpc Series 5mk2S - my speakers seem very easy to please. :)

Must admit though, I'd have thought 120wpc is fine for most speakers in a 'normal' sized Brit listening room. :scratch:

MrAcoustat
01-04-2010, 09:32
It's not about the quantity of watts, but more about the quality, and the Chord CPM-2600 is all that Quality, expensive yes but nice things always are being a frenchman from Quebec Canada, there is a saying in english that i believe in and that is ( YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR )

MrAcoustat Keep It Simple
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk7/MrAcoustat/MrAcoustatGros02.jpg

MrAcoustat
06-07-2010, 06:53
[QUOTE=MrAcoustat;113163]It's not about the quantity of watts, but more about the quality, and the Chord CPM-2600 is all that Quality, expensive yes but nice things always are being a frenchman from Quebec Canada, there is a saying in english that i believe in and that is ( YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR )

MrAcoustat Keep It Simple

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/ChordCPM-260010.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Acoustatsystme07.jpg

MartinT
06-07-2010, 07:06
Chord amps are beautifully (and expensively) finished but they are no bijous brand. They deliver huge amounts of very clean power with finess, detail, dynamics and soundstage. They make it all seem effortless, giving speakers the control they need and adding nothing to the sound. After 11 years of owning two models, I remain in awe of their abilities. Here's mine:

http://www.mtc.me.uk/images/ChordSPM1200E.jpg

The Black Adder
11-07-2010, 15:23
My CPM 2600 sounds superb and has recently married an SPM 600 from London, a fine lass... Big boned!

Vertically bi-amped.

A new review is required me thinks as my Dali's are pushing some decent pressure now!

Agrees with Martin and summed up in a word... GRIP!

The sound is WOW!

Joe
___
TBA

jandl100
12-07-2010, 07:18
My CPM 2600 sounds superb and has recently married an SPM 600 from London, a fine lass... Big boned!

Vertically bi-amped.

Eh! - you ol' devil. So you're now going 3-in-a-bed with my old Chord 2600? :eyebrows:

Yup, I'll bet that sounds very fine - musical refinement and kick-ass power. :eek:

MrAcoustat
18-08-2010, 04:48
Ok i live in a condo and i don't listend very loud, my Acoustat's are 81db, that is very hard on an amp, but my Chord CPM-2600 makes them sing very very well, a have more power than i realy need, i'm happy that i went back to solid state because i realy think that tubes are for the wealthy, specialy with hard to drive speakers.

PS: You're right the Chord does'nt sound like tubes, but with the Acoustat's they make a great match.

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/AcoustatSystme04.jpg

chris@panteg
03-10-2010, 23:49
I visited the Chord room at Whittlebury , they were using some Jordan speakers .

I thought it was very impressive , the build quality and design is something else and that CD player is like a battleship ' yes its quite different to the Valve sound but hell i liked it.

I am now a fan and would love or lust to own a Chord amp ! probably the integrated.

MrAcoustat
04-01-2011, 05:13
All i want for christmas is my new Acoustat's and i got them here are a few pictures all steel frame new interfaces new parts and new look.

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/SystmeKeepItSimple02.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Andr05.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Andr02.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Andr03.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Andr15.jpg

MartinT
04-01-2011, 06:41
Very nice, Andre, and good to see Chord reach our outer colonies :)
Are the Acoustats single panel, bass and all?

jandl100
04-01-2011, 07:39
Wow - fantastic looking beasts :eek: ... the slim tall things, not the shorter one in the black T shirt! ;).

No trouble getting image height with those, I'll bet. :)

Congratulations - I bet they sound fabulous.

(I don't agree with you about class D amps, though!)