PDA

View Full Version : THX Tune-up app

m10
01-01-2017, 12:02
I can't think where I stumbled across this now - but thought I'd share as some may be interested. I thought my set-up was pretty near to the optimum using the 'REC709' setting on the projector. I was right, but the out of the box settings didn't account for any ambient light (perhaps) the particular nature of the screen being used.

The THX Tune-up app (iOS and Android) features the familiar tests and adjustments found on many THX Optimizer DVDs, but it performs the clever trick of using the phone's camera and screen as the colour filter to get the contrast and tint adjustments spot on. The small adjustments I've made seem to have just snapped everything into a sweet-spot that, previously, I had just missed. Very happy bunny, especially as the app is free and I'm too tight to pay for professional calibration. I've certainly got better results than I ever have with the THX Optimizer DVDs.

I used Air Play mirroring with my Apple TV, but it works with an HDMI cable too. If you use HDMI, you can also do 5.1/multichannel sound tests which I think are the usual channel assignment and phase tests.

Of course, I'm now watching a movie with the Christmas tree lights on, which buggers up the contrast as you might expect (and causes one speaker to fling a shadow on the screen). Think I'll go switch 'em off and enjoy the film.

struth
01-01-2017, 12:29
I tried that app but only sound came through to tv screen. The pics etc were on tablet. Maybe im just dumb lol

m10
01-01-2017, 17:11
I tried that app but only sound came through to tv screen. The pics etc were on tablet. Maybe im just dumb lol

With mine (Apple) I had instructions on the phone screen, but the patterns and photographs came up on the big screen. To do this I had to turn on 'Air Play Mirroring' on the phone. (I haven't got a Lightning to HDMI adapter yet.) Is your Chromecast a video model, or an audio only one? Maybe an MHL-HDMI cable would work (although you could probably buy a Spears & Munsil calibration disc for a similar amount of money).

struth
01-01-2017, 17:54
i used airplay too. wonder if I forgot summat like screen mirroring?.. i will have another go :eyebrows: