PDA

View Full Version : Step down transformers

farflungstar
25-12-2016, 16:50
I was wondering if using a step down transformer with power amps might be a bad idea. Have my eye on a Japanese power amp with an industrial sized step down transformer. Would this hinder dynamics?

Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk

Arkless Electronics
25-12-2016, 16:59
Absolutely not. It will be fine.

AlfaGTV
26-12-2016, 09:30
Or not, industrial size transformers have a tendency to make mechanical noice.
I'd personally seek a way co convert it to take 230v as i wouldnt want the extra bulk but thats just me! :)

anthonyTD
26-12-2016, 12:11
Make sure you use a decent transformer, ie; the step down should have a seperate primary, and secondary winding, therefore; its also an isolating transformer, and not an Auto transformer, which has one winding, which is tapped!
A...:)

Arkless Electronics
26-12-2016, 14:49
I must say that I can't see any problem with an autotransformer here..... It's the most common solution.

anthonyTD
27-12-2016, 15:54
I am happy to agree to disagree on this one, there are advantages, and disadvantages to each' depending on the situation/aplication, and the quality of the transformer in question.:)
And its Christmas!:eek::D
I must say that I can't see any problem with an autotransformer here..... It's the most common solution.

farflungstar
27-12-2016, 17:22
Thanks guys - the problem is I don't know what type of transformer it is - only that it's huge and has one cable going in and one coming out terminated in a double UK socket as it's feeding two monoblocks configured at 120v for the Japanese market. The seller can't give me any concrete info on the step down - he said to either use it or wire the amps in series... scratch..
Adey

Barry
27-12-2016, 18:19
In principle there is nothing wrong with wiring the two monoblocks in series for use on the UK mains supply, but it might invalidate your home insurance.

One of the advantages of using monoblocks is to be able to locate each one close to the speaker it supplies. This configuration would make the series mains connection complicated.

struth
27-12-2016, 18:24
I,d be inclined to give it a bye tbh. Might just be more trouble than its worth

farflungstar
27-12-2016, 18:26
I was thinking the same....
Adey

spendorman
27-12-2016, 20:51
If it's an amp that you like, use a transformer as long as it's safe, e.g. no live parts accessible, earthed if not double insulated, fused, and rated for at least the amplifiers maximum power consumption.

Also make sure the amp is earthed if it's not double insulated.