PDA

View Full Version : Speaker switch

MarginWalker
24-12-2016, 11:34
I am currently using a QED speaker switch to switch between a pair of speakers In My living room and kitchen. It works well but is not particularly well built as the inputs at the back keep coming away from the casing. Can anyone recommend a solidly built speaker switch with binding posts to take banana plugs/spades? It will need the option to play one or both sets of speakers at the same time.

Thanks,
Phil

Ali Tait
24-12-2016, 11:47
Yep, Stan Beresford sells one-

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/selector.htm

MarginWalker
24-12-2016, 12:19
Yep, Stan Beresford sells one-

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/selector.htm

Looks good. Do you know if both sets of speakers can be used at the same time?

Gordon Steadman
24-12-2016, 12:29
Looks good. Do you know if both sets of speakers can be used at the same time?

The specs on his site say yes.

Have you thought of making one yourself? Pretty straighforward!

MarginWalker
24-12-2016, 12:33
The specs on his site say yes.

Have you thought of making one yourself? Pretty straighforward!

I'd like to give it a go, the one issue with the Beresford box is that it is a bit on the large side so it would be good to make one myself in a smaller box Do you know of any where I can get a guide to try a DIY one?

Gordon Steadman
24-12-2016, 13:53
I'd like to give it a go, the one issue with the Beresford box is that it is a bit on the large side so it would be good to make one myself in a smaller box Do you know of any where I can get a guide to try a DIY one?

Nope but I'm sure someone will give you chapter and verse. 4mm sockets common on eBay. An old defunct amplifier would give you a suitable switch - I had loads before our recent clearout - and any box big enough to take the sockets on the back will do!

Yomanze
24-12-2016, 14:25

It's a very small box.

StanleyB
24-12-2016, 15:08
I'd like to give it a go, the one issue with the Beresford box is that it is a bit on the large side so it would be good to make one myself in a smaller box
Big? How small a box were you thinking on having then?

MarginWalker
24-12-2016, 15:13
Big? How small a box were you thinking on having then?

It is just the width that is the issue as I have vey limited space. The QED box I have at the moment is only about 100mm wise but a bit taller than your box. I suppose I could sit my Bushmaster 2 on top of it. Are they the same depth?

StanleyB
24-12-2016, 15:16
I suppose I could sit my Bushmaster 2 on top of it. Are they the same depth?
Almost.

Hammer
24-12-2016, 23:08
Ixos used to make one that did exactly what you want i have had a couple in use for 10 years no problems but i am not sure if they still make them