PDA

View Full Version : How to dismantle a Rega Ela 2000?

trane
14-12-2009, 21:17
Hi everyone,
I have a great Rega Ela 2000 speaker pair working flawlessly - thanks Rega :) . However, I have a question - hope someone in the know here can answer it for our Rega distributor couldn't.
Namely, I wonder how is the plinth attached to the bottom of the speaker apart from the obvious 4 cross-headed screws?
Reason for asking is that I want to replace the original binding posts as my speaker cables' normal 8mm spades do not fit the oversize 10mm Rega posts, and that named posts are truly poor quality soundwise.
Problem is that without removing the plinth the work can't be done for the binding posts being secured to it from the inside (of course) - I have given it a try...
Any help appreciated (please note I do not want to replace the spades on my cables).
Finally, I heard the Ela 2000s retailed at 780 gbp new - was it really their price of the day? Thanks

Please note, I am interested - as the topic title clearly shows - in the 'How to' and NOT in the 'Why not to' things of life. Sorry for making it this obvious, but at PFM people tended not to understand what I asked, which helped not - that's why. Thanks :)

trane
16-12-2009, 09:44
no one?

Marco
16-12-2009, 10:19
Hi Attila,

The man you want for this is hi-fi Dave. If he's missed this thread, then just PM him, as I'm sure he'll be willing and able to help :)

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
16-12-2009, 20:53
You could try opening out your spades with a file............

DSJR
16-12-2009, 22:35
Don't try to butcher the boxes, as I think Rega had the bases glued IIRC.

Use bigger spades, or better, some decent banana plugs which shouldn't work loose...

hifi_dave
17-12-2009, 16:30
Right, the ELA 2000 base was held on with 4 screws only. Remove the screws and tap the base with a mallet or piece of wood to loosen it from the paint holding it in place. Be VERY CAREFUL as the crossover is on the base and you could cause damage.:eek:

trane
18-12-2009, 17:24
thanx, man :) will do so - and let you know

trane
18-12-2009, 21:06
job done :) - pm sent, David