PDA

View Full Version : Forum RSS feeds?

mr-b
14-12-2009, 16:04
Hi

Are there RSS feeds enabled on this forum?

There's no RSS icon on the address bar when browsing any of the forums and a search for 'RSS' returned no results. Vbulletin has the feature.

Themis
14-12-2009, 16:19
Next poll : are RSS feeds Flat Earth or not ? :)

Marco
14-12-2009, 16:37
Hi 'mr-b',

Welcome to AoS :)

Before we go anywhere, could you please pop into the Welcome room and introduce yourself, telling us a little about your system and tastes in music, along with your first name and basic location? These are requirements when joining our site.

If you look at some of the other threads there from new members you'll get an idea of what is required.

We'll then be happy to deal with your query :cool:

Cheers!

Marco.

mr-b
14-12-2009, 17:28
Hi

No problem with that in principle.

But I have found that forums which don't have RSS just drop off my radar, so I'd really prefer to know if it does do RSS up front, before having to jump through hoops, thanks! :-)

PS will hair shirts be involved? ;-)

Mike
14-12-2009, 17:32
Someone is bound to ask "What's RSS?"... so here's some info: http://www.whatisrss.com/

Rare Bird
14-12-2009, 17:33
Must have a busy schedule relying on RSS then, not having time to read through daily posts normally

:lolsign:

Themis
14-12-2009, 17:34
But I have found that forums which don't have RSS just drop off my radar, so I'd really prefer to know if it does do RSS up front, before having to jump through hoops, thanks! :-)
:lol:

mr-b
14-12-2009, 17:39
It's a miracle I get to listen to music or use the web at all with a 2yr old. ;-)

Themis
14-12-2009, 17:40
I see. So, it's fair to say that your participation to this forum will be limited to reading the RSS feeds ? :)

Strange, no ?

Rare Bird
14-12-2009, 17:48
Bingo

mr-b
14-12-2009, 17:50
Huh? I really don't know yet.
Is it a crime on this site to be a lurker for a while? :rolleyes:

Marco
14-12-2009, 17:53
Hi 'mr-b',

It doesn't look like we'll be activating RSS, so it's up to you now what to do. If you wish to part of our community (hence the use of that word rather than 'forum'), you're very welcome, but you'll need to introduce yourself properly in the normal way here :)

Huh? I really don't know yet.
Is it a crime on this site to be a lurker for a while?

No, lurk away, but if you wish to be a part of things then we have a procedure. Sounds like you're from the States with the way you write :smoking:

Marco.

Rare Bird
14-12-2009, 18:03
:popcorn:

Mike
14-12-2009, 18:16
Welcome anyway, mr-b!

If I were you, I'd just get stuck in... this place is classified as 'mostly harmless'! :exactly: (Anyone remember the computer game 'Elite'? :eyebrows:)

The Vinyl Adventure
14-12-2009, 18:18
As I understand it marco rss feeds may well positivly effect your seo, google ranking and the like... Might be worth looking at doing ... Of course I might be wrong.. My understanding of these things is in it's early days!

Themis
14-12-2009, 18:20
As I understand it marco rss feeds may well positivly effect your seo, google ranking and the like...
Only mouse clicks count. ;)

Rare Bird
14-12-2009, 18:45
In using the RSS on too regular on one place can lead to blacklisting aswell..

The Vinyl Adventure
14-12-2009, 18:51
Subsriptions and feeds that cause people to come back to the site mean more clicking surely.
I don't think a legitmate feed would be concidored black hat by google??

Themis
14-12-2009, 18:58
I don't think a legitmate feed would be concidored black hat by google??
Google ignores feeds. Only counts clicks from its search engine and links from its affiliated sites. ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
14-12-2009, 19:06
Furry muff

Themis
14-12-2009, 19:13
lol Hamish, I always need to look for the definition of half of what you say. :lol:

It's not a complain, I learn plenty of things by reading your posts. ;)

Beechwoods
14-12-2009, 19:21
Well folks have already answered the OP's question... AOS doesn't currently have any RSS functionality... and to be honest, while I use them a lot for my news fix I don't really feel that they're particularly good for community / chat based sites like AOS.

You can 'Subscribe' automatically to any threads that interest you, which will email you new posts, daily, weekly or instantly, for any threads you've posted in. You can turn this on via UserCP on the top menu, Edit Options > Default Thread Subscription Mode.

You can also subscribe manually to any thread or forum that interests you whether you have or haven't posted to it via the Thread Tools / Forum Tools link at the top of a Thread / Forum page.

The best way to get what AOS is about though is by coming here regularly and often! And that, I hope you will :)

The Vinyl Adventure
14-12-2009, 19:25
lol Hamish, I always need to look for the definition of half of what you say. :lol:

It's not a complain, I learn plenty of things by reading your posts. ;)

Haha, you see that everyone, I'm teaching someone english! :lolsign: glad to be of use dimitri!

Themis
14-12-2009, 19:26
Furry Muff = Fair enough

right ?

Marco
14-12-2009, 19:30
Furry muff

Ayee? :scratch:

Are you trying to compete with me on the 'phnarr' stakes? Aye, a furry muff full of 'danny rough' :lol:

Marco.

Marco
15-12-2009, 15:28
Well, it looks like 'mr-b' has decided that AoS isn't for him because of the lack of RSS feeds; no problem.

It always amazes me the way some people expect everything 'laid on a plate' for them, and see forums such as this as simply their personal 'information resource' without also giving something themselves in return...

A classic case of seeking maximum return for minimum effort, which is the kind of lazy-minded mentality indicative of our society these days! :rolleyes:

Marco.

Themis
15-12-2009, 15:32
I've been in forums since they existed (13 years ago) first time I come over a case like this... :(

mr-b
15-12-2009, 23:14
Wow.

My son has been ill today and just now got him off to sleep. Logging back in, I find in my absence that I've been judged to have a "lazy-minded mentality" etc.!

How to put someone off a forum in 24 hours ... sheesh. :(

Marco
15-12-2009, 23:25
Well, if you come back and prove differently (and show signs of wanting to be part of our community), such statements can always be retracted ;)

Can we start then with your first name and where you're from? :)

Sorry to hear about your son being ill.

Marco.

Themis
15-12-2009, 23:57
Wow.

My son has been ill today and just now got him off to sleep. Logging back in, I find in my absence that I've been judged to have a "lazy-minded mentality" etc.!

How to put someone off a forum in 24 hours ... sheesh. :(
Hi Mr-b,

sorry to hear about your son, we've all had children we know what it is all about.
Do you always complain about something or other, or is it only here ?
As Marco says, hope this will change, dude. ;)

Cheers

Steve Toy
16-12-2009, 01:43
I think we can look into RSS feeds - moving with the times and all that. They may have existed since the dawn of the internet but they've become fashionable in the last year or so.

Rare Bird
16-12-2009, 05:15
Well if wanna incourage people to not be part of the community do so,it may aswell be a static posting board in that case.

Kris
16-12-2009, 07:52
Agreed. RSS feeds are for news sites, not interactive forums.

Marco
16-12-2009, 07:56
I think we'll be leaving it well alone, guys. We wish to encourage active participation amongst members here, not discourage it. AoS is not a 'news site'. It's a community of real people who enjoy interacting with each other regularly on a daily basis.

Marco.