PDA

View Full Version : Goin' back....

Gordon Steadman
09-12-2016, 20:05
I've had a bit of spare time lately what with being retired and wanting to take a break from work on the house for a bit.

So I've been listening to music even more than usual. Revisiting stuff that I haven't heard for ages. Looking back, when I first heard pop music, I was listening on my parents wooden sideboard with speakers stuck in the end (it was called a radiogram but really it was a sideboard!!) Basically it was crap of course but that's what we listened to. The music was still great and seemed the most important thing in the world.

As the hi-fi progressed, my musical tastes changed and I stopped listening to all the pop stuff like the Beatles and the Stones but mostly classical, jazz, Paul Simon and Joni.

I have never really sat down and listened seriously to the old stuff until today. Hearing what was really going on has been a revelation. We only heard half of it back then and it was still great. Now, it seems to be as fresh and inventive as ever. The Stones...well they are OK and a good rock band but they didn't have a genius like George Martin to help them. The Beatles wrote great songs but listening to the arrangements now that everything is so crystal clear raises their music to new heights.

I've spent all these years thinking they were great and so they were but only now can I really appreciate the quality. It seems strange that I haven't sat and listened to them for 50 years but life went another way as it will. Really enjoying revisiting stuff. I wonder what else is there that I have been unaware of!!

Probably won't have time to do the house - don't tell Ronnie!!

brian2957
09-12-2016, 20:20
Aye I know what you mean Gordon . Recently I've been revisiting artists like the Beatles and early David Bowie , who I listened to as a younger man . They sound fantastic now and I regularly listen to albums from my past . Spotify is my friend here :)

walpurgis
09-12-2016, 20:30
I never stopped appreciating the later sixties and seventies stuff. But if anyone asks me for a great track, 'Drive in Saturday' from Bowie seems to spring to mind. It's just glorious.

struth
09-12-2016, 20:32
Still think Ray Davis was the most talented of them all. He is still very good to this day.

Gordon Steadman
09-12-2016, 20:43
Still think Ray Davis was the most talented of them all. He is still very good to this day.

Yup, he will bear listening to I think.

It was the sheer depth of the arrangements and musical knowledge that Martin bought to the Beatles. I still sing along quite happily (sorry Ronnie) but there is so much more to it than I used to appreciate.

brian2957
09-12-2016, 20:55
It was the sheer depth of the arrangements and musical knowledge that Martin bought to the Beatles. I still sing along quite happily (sorry Ronnie) but there is so much more to it than I used to appreciate.[/QUOTE]

Yup +1 :)

struth
09-12-2016, 20:58
https://youtu.be/dVbvuYeecu0

brian2957
09-12-2016, 21:03
Very nice Grant:)

shane
09-12-2016, 21:25
Dare I suggest a bit of prog? Close to the Edge, maybe, or a bit of Land of Grey and Pink? Or throw caution to the wind stick a bit of Gong on the turntable...

or you you could visit a very indulgent nostalgia trip here which turned up a few unexpected gems. Sadly some of the links have been taken down, but there's still fun to be had:

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3684&hilit=Edmund+ros