PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of using integrated as pre into another integrated for power

mikeyb
06-12-2016, 08:21
Just wondering if anyone has tried this and what they thought. My PMC speakers like the power of my MkII Claymore amp @100w but I much prefer the sound from my TQ Claymore which has pre out, so I was thinking of using the TQ as pre and MKII as power.

So I suppose my question is what dictates the sound quality/properties, the Pre or the Power?

I know the obvious thing to do is try it but I'm working the next two days and was just thinking about trying this once I hit the sack last night.

Firebottle
06-12-2016, 08:49
So I suppose my question is what dictates the sound quality/properties, the Pre or the Power?

Both in my experience, just try it and report back :D

mikeyb
06-12-2016, 18:44
Both in my experience, just try it and report back :D
Will do, once I get my day off on Thursday :)

Lawrence001
13-12-2016, 22:55
On average I've tended to find that most of an amps "flavour" comes from the pre section. A well designed power amp can usually power a normal pair of speakers (i.e. Not a tricky load or too insensitive) relatively transparently but the pre tends to give its character through most good power amps. This is obviously a generalisation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeyb
13-12-2016, 23:19
On average I've tended to find that most of an amps "flavour" comes from the pre section. A well designed power amp can usually power a normal pair of speakers (i.e. Not a tricky load or too insensitive) relatively transparently but the pre tends to give its character through most good power amps. This is obviously a generalisation.

Thanks,

I've not had time to try it yet

Lawrence001
17-12-2016, 20:22
Any news?

mikeyb
17-12-2016, 22:25
Any news?

Nothing yet, been busy having my TT upgraded with power regulators and other things for Xmas going on too.

Most likely after Xmas before I try it now sorry.