PDA

View Full Version : Tannoy Monitor Gold HF and LF

vencel
27-11-2016, 21:20
Hello,

I need some help/information from knowledgable/experienced members regarding different versions of Tannoy Monitor Gold 15" drivers.
I have 2 pairs, but they slighty look different.

First of all the cone on one pair (having later serial numbers) is brownish (like on attached photo), while the ones (having earlier serial numbers) in my Lancaster cabinets have dark (black) cones.
Is that normal? I don't see any sign of cone replacement on neither of them.

Second, when I take off the magnet cover the back of the compression driver is metal on one, while plastic on the other (see attached photos). Is that normal? Which is better?

I would really appreciate any information.

Kind regards,
Vencel

vencel
27-11-2016, 21:24
There's a third difference as well: on the rim of the back side of the Tannoy basket (where the mounting holes can be found) there is an additional groove.
On the older one there is no such groove.
I hope it is visible on attached photo.

walpurgis
27-11-2016, 21:34
Sounds as though you have drive units of different ages.

Variations in colour are common on Tannoy cones. They fade in daylight/sunlight. It won't affect the sound quality.

The other differences are due to their being minor changes in spec on production runs. I wouldn't be concerned about them. The speakers are likely to sound right used together.

The Black Adder
27-11-2016, 21:40
Yeah.. both should be identical, nothing to worry about, Vencel. :)

JohnJo
27-11-2016, 21:43
18668The one with the black cap looks similar to my HPD, made in 1980 so I assume it's the later of the two.

vencel
27-11-2016, 21:53
Thank you very much all of you for the quick replies.
The black cap seems to be bakelite.
Do you have any experience which cap (metal or bakelite) is better or results in better sound?

walpurgis
27-11-2016, 22:13
]The black cap seems to be bakelite.
Do you have any experience which cap (metal or bakelite) is better or results in better sound?

In my opinion. It will make no difference.

Second hand black caps do appear for sale on ebay now and then if you wanted to make the units more alike. I would not bother.

vencel
27-11-2016, 22:53
In my opinion. It will make no difference.

Second hand black caps do appear for sale on ebay now and then if you wanted to make the units more alike. I would not bother.

Thanks for the recommndation, however I have 2 matching pairs so I do not need to hunt for second hand caps.
I would just like to find out which version shall I keep, but I guess the older versions will stay and the newer will go to a new and lucky owner :-)

anubisgrau
28-11-2016, 10:39
Vencel, what's happening with cartridge repair service?

Reffc
28-11-2016, 11:13
Thank you very much all of you for the quick replies.
The black cap seems to be bakelite.

The material used for the rear cover has no bearing on sound whatsoever. It's just a rear cover. There is a diaphragm underneath it which forms part of the HF motor. Backloading on the diaphragm has some very slight bearing on design but as they are correct factory spec, then there's nothing to concern yourself with. The cones look to have the pleated (doped) paper surrounds. These do change compliance with age, some becoming stiffer, which can raise Fs a little, but again, providing that you use a matching pair, then there's nothing to be concerned about.

vencel
28-11-2016, 20:11
Vencel, what's happening with cartridge repair service?

Quite busy with it, that is why I stopped sharing photos (lack of time). Xmas is coming so I will try to upload some new and interesting photos if anobody is interested in them :-)

vencel
06-12-2016, 12:06
I am wondering if anybody ever tried to change the wire that goes from the connector (on loudspeaker basket) to the tweeter, hidden under the Gold plastic cup?
I know my question could open Pandora's box, but would it make sense to change that piece of wire (roughly 10") to something better and perhaps thicker?

walpurgis
06-12-2016, 12:17
It may help to change the wire, but it's not a regular modification. Certainly not one I've felt the need to do. Is there any reason to suspect that an improvement may arise? You'd need something reasonably slim I suppose. There are not many high quality thinnish speaker cables. Nordost and Crystal Cables may have something.

vencel
07-12-2016, 10:48
It may help to change the wire, but it's not a regular modification. Certainly not one I've felt the need to do. Is there any reason to suspect that an improvement may arise? You'd need something reasonably slim I suppose. There are not many high quality thinnish speaker cables. Nordost and Crystal Cables may have something.

I was asking it out of curiosity.
Audio Note has some solid and insulted wires that are thin (insulation is very thin), but a twisted pair of Kondo SPc could also fit in.
I have some spare Kondo SPc wires and as I will change the connectors to golden plated ones bought from Mark, I could potentially change the wires, however I am not sure if it would bring any improvement, if it would harm or for any reason it is not recommended.
There are some fellow audiophiles who claim that a 1m long power cable can also improve the sound irrespective of the fact that the wire in the wall is the simplest wire.