PDA

View Full Version : Positioning of bass traps. In the corner or out a little?

Firebottle
25-11-2016, 08:50
I've made a couple of bass traps using loft insulation roll, so they are tubular in shape.

Will it be best to mount them right in the corners or a little way out from the corner? Anyone with experience of this?

:)

Bigman80
25-11-2016, 08:53
http://arqen.com/bass-traps-101/placement-guide/

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

RothwellAudio
25-11-2016, 10:02
I think (though I wouldn't call myself an expert on this subject) that it depends on the construction of your bass traps. If your bass traps are mostly just loft insulation they will be more effective at low frequencies if they're farther out from the corners. If your bass traps are Helmholtz resonator types I don't think they need to out from the corners.
Er... you might want to double check that advice :scratch:

awkwardbydesign
25-11-2016, 10:20
This is the place to look, and ask. http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/24/1/Ethan_Winer_Acoustics_Forum

Firebottle
25-11-2016, 10:49
Thanks for the replies chaps, with the type of trap I'm now convinced out of the corner is going to be best.

:)

Gordon Steadman
25-11-2016, 10:58
Once you've trapped the bass, what do you do with it?? If it's like Ghostbusters, it could be awfully loud if it all escapes at once:doh:

Rothchild
25-11-2016, 11:29
Once you've trapped the bass, what do you do with it?? If it's like Ghostbusters, it could be awfully loud if it all escapes at once:doh:

I convert mine to motion and heat, in line with the laws of thermodynamics.

Corners generally is best, and remember a cuboid room has 12 of them.

struth
25-11-2016, 11:32

Dont i know it :bum::comatose:

hifi_dave
25-11-2016, 12:04
There's no definitive answer, it depends on the size, construction, room dimensions and frequency. As they are easy to move, it's a suck it and see thing.