PDA

View Full Version : Switch Noise nearly causes loss of life

Light Dependant Resistor
23-11-2016, 21:30
An interesting article here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-23/jetstar-alliance-airlines-plane-near-miss-misheard-adelaide/8049124
caused by push to talk ( PTT) switch noise obscuring essential instructions by both the person issuing and the recipient :

"The ATSB reported that the start of transmissions from the airport's surface movement controller (SMC) were clipped, or "over-transmitted", so that words at the start of a sentence were not heard by its intended recipient.
The SMC told the flight crew of the smaller plane: "Unity 3201 hold short of runway 23, I've got you going to 50 golf".
But what the flight crew heard was: "Runway 23, I've got you going to 50 golf".
Because the instructions included the parking bay, the plane's check captain believed the SMC had instructed them to cross runway 23, and responded by saying, "cross runway 23 to 50 golf, Unity 3201".
The SMC misheard the check captain read back and also assumed that the word "hold" had been clipped.
The aerodrome controller (ADC) sighted the plane on the taxiway and heard the SMC's instructions, but did not hear how its flight crew responded. The ADC then handed their position over to another controller. "

Similarly it is worth reflecting on how much of the audio you purchase with CD and LP gets lost in needless switches typified by switched attenuators and wiper pots ?
Switches passing audio should never be taken for granted when far better methods are available, that with respect to audio signals can remove the mechanical interface entirely.

Cheers / Chris

anji12305
24-11-2016, 14:13
This is a false equivalence. Excited operators talking over comms is not at all like what's happening in steady state audio reproduction.

This may have analogs in recording, with 'gating' deliberately obscuring room sounds, but has precious little to do with playback.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Firebottle
24-11-2016, 17:07
Poor training in using the comms in my book :hmm:

Yomanze
24-11-2016, 17:33
Poor training in using the comms in my book :hmm:
Over.

mikeyb
24-11-2016, 17:42
And out