PDA

View Full Version : Simaudio Moon Neo Ace + Rega Aria phono stage and NAS

rmcin626
17-11-2016, 22:20
One of the options offered to me yesterday- good choice?

struth
17-11-2016, 23:13
You liked the other moon offering Robin.. what does this one have extra?

struth
17-11-2016, 23:20
just read trusted reviews review which was glowing. Looks and sounds like its the dogs danglies. Everything in a single box including streaming eh... nice indeed

walpurgis
17-11-2016, 23:22
Never owned any, but I've heard Simaudio gear a few times and been impressed.

mikeyb
18-11-2016, 06:45
Home demo will help you decide

rmcin626
18-11-2016, 07:17
just read trusted reviews review which was glowing. Looks and sounds like its the dogs danglies. Everything in a single box including streaming eh... nice indeed

Yeah it does tick a lot of boxes, and I like the one box soloution. I was going to go down the NAS route anyway.

Spectral Morn
18-11-2016, 09:02
Not heard the items in question but I do own a Moon Andromeda, and I have heard other Moon gear and liked it. Loud and Clear are good guys to deal with.

mikeyb
18-11-2016, 09:43
Having just read a few of the many reviews available it looks a very good buy, I think it would just need pairing your preferred speakers and you'd be more than happy.

Ok it only has Tidal as a dedicated streaming service but if you have any others then you can play them via other means into the Neo Ace.

If I was in the market for one and I had the cash it would be in my shortlist.

Also has built in phono stage that seems to be decent enough, do you really need a separate one?

I'd be more inclined to buy the Neo Ace and try out the phono and then add a second hand phono stage later on if you really wanted to upgrade.

The Rega Aria is well reviewed but I'm sure for the new price of one of those I'd rather buy secondhand and get something worth a lot more, I bet the Aria isn't that much of an improvement over the built in one. Ok it gives you flexibility with settings etc but ...... Save some money in the short term, try the built in stage and buy records instead, or..... Use the cash for the Aria to pay for a Tidal subscription ;)

rmcin626
18-11-2016, 09:57
Having just read a few of the many reviews available it looks a very good buy, I think it would just need pairing your preferred speakers and you'd be more than happy.

Ok it only has Tidal as a dedicated streaming service but if you have any others then you can play them via other means into the Neo Ace.

If I was in the market for one and I had the cash it would be in my shortlist.

Also has built in phono stage that seems to be decent enough, do you really need a separate one?

I'd be more inclined to buy the Neo Ace and try out the phono and then add a second hand phono stage later on if you really wanted to upgrade.

The Rega Aria is well reviewed but I'm sure for the new price of one of those I'd rather buy secondhand and get something worth a lot more, I bet the Aria isn't that much of an improvement over the built in one. Ok it gives you flexibility with settings etc but ...... Save some money in the short term, try the built in stage and buy records instead, or..... Use the cash for the Aria to pay for a Tidal subscription ;)

Mike, I was quite impressed by the Ace, I need a MC phono stage which was why the Rega Aria was being demoed that day with the other amps that I listened to.
I was thinking of maybe using the built in mm phono stage and one of the Rothwell step ups which would save a bit of money.

mikeyb
18-11-2016, 10:00
Ah MC, sorry never noticed that, if that's the case try borrowing the Arkless or Firebottle headamps available for demo on here, both excellent although I think the limiting factor is how good the MM stage is in the first place.

Did you try it without the Aria ?

rmcin626
18-11-2016, 10:10
Ah MC, sorry never noticed that, if that's the case try borrowing the Arkless or Firebottle headamps available for demo on here, both excellent although I think the limiting factor is how good the MM stage is in the first place.

Did you try it without the Aria ?

No at the time everything was set up for Moving Coil

walpurgis
18-11-2016, 10:19
I'm sure there are other opinions, but I've always found a good SUT into an MM phono input gives great results. Never opt for a cheap SUT though. There are no good cheap ones.

rmcin626
18-11-2016, 10:33
I'm sure there are other opinions, but I've always found a good SUT into an MM phono input gives great results. Never opt for a cheap SUT though. There are no good cheap ones.

I was thinking about Firebottle, Rothwell etc Geoff, the Rega Aria is about £900 I think from memory, I just think there may be better value for money available although it does sound good but it should do for that price.

struth
18-11-2016, 10:58
A sut or head amp will do the business for a lot less. Ones ive heard, mostly around the 2/300 range were fine with my mcs. My current phono stage costs only about £150 and does mc as well as mm. Sounded great with the ortophon i had at time. Better than anything ive had to date in my mind. Might not be for others of course. £900 for a phono is quite rich imo

mikeyb
18-11-2016, 11:25
or buy this ....

http://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/121615-firebottle-plus-mm-mc-phono-stage-for-sale/#comment-2116162

struth
18-11-2016, 11:26
Yup they are good too.. had one myself once.

rmcin626
18-11-2016, 11:43
A sut or head amp will do the business for a lot less. Ones ive heard, mostly around the 2/300 range were fine with my mcs. My current phono stage costs only about £150 and does mc as well as mm. Sounded great with the ortophon i had at time. Better than anything ive had to date in my mind. Might not be for others of course. £900 for a phono is quite rich imo

I thought so too Grant, although it did sound great

rmcin626
18-11-2016, 11:45
or buy this ....

http://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/121615-firebottle-plus-mm-mc-phono-stage-for-sale/#comment-2116162
That's interesting

hifi_dave
18-11-2016, 11:52
I was thinking about Firebottle, Rothwell etc Geoff, the Rega Aria is about £900 I think from memory, I just think there may be better value for money available although it does sound good but it should do for that price.

The Rega Aria is £798 and to my ears is one of the better phono stages on the market, it's also very versatile and practical.

rmcin626
18-11-2016, 11:59
The Rega Aria is £798 and to my ears is one of the better phono stages on the market, it's also very versatile and practical.
Thanks David, there were quite a few prices being quoted by the dealer for the various pieces just couldn't remember the exact price and as I said it did sound good to my ears.

hifi_dave
18-11-2016, 12:02
As we discussed, a Quad pre + power and a MC step-up, if needed, would be ideal for your system.

rmcin626
18-11-2016, 12:20
As we discussed, a Quad pre + power and a MC step-up, if needed, would be ideal for your system.

I'm sure you are right and has not been totally dismissed at the moment, the Moon Ace would also give me the streaming option which I am also interested in exploring.

RothwellAudio
18-11-2016, 16:44
I need a MC phono stage...
I was thinking of maybe using the built in mm phono stage and one of the Rothwell step ups which would save a bit of money.

I'm not sure what you mean by cheap but the cheapest I sell is the MC1 at £280. At the next level up are the MCX and MCL at £485, but to be quite honest the cheaper MC1 really isn't all that far behind in my opinion.
I also offer a solid-state headamp alternative, the Headspace at £299. It has the benefit of flexibility (4 gain settings and 8 load impedance settings) but the use of transistors might be a turn-off for valve purists. Still, that won't apply in this case :)

rmcin626
18-11-2016, 17:08
I'm not sure what you mean by cheap but the cheapest I sell is the MC1 at £280. At the next level up are the MCX and MCL at £485, but to be quite honest the cheaper MC1 really isn't all that far behind in my opinion.
I also offer a solid-state headamp alternative, the Headspace at £299. It has the benefit of flexibility (4 gain settings and 8 load impedance settings) but the use of transistors might be a turn-off for valve purists. Still, that won't apply in this case :)

I think your products would be ideal Andrew

rmcin626
11-12-2016, 15:15
Things have been at a standstill for the last 3 weeks due to my son's wedding and a house full of relatives but now need to sort the equipment out. Not sure now that a one box solution is the best idea, so having a fresh look at things, required still new amp either integrated or pre/power, a MC phono stage also like the idea of NAS also would like to try out streaming and need a dac. Hopefully all in place for the Christmas break.
The amp most have remote option as I am getting older and more lazy by the day.

Marco
11-12-2016, 15:22
One of the options offered to me yesterday- good choice?

I had to look up what a "Simaudio Moon Neo Ace" was.... With current stuff like that, don't presume everyone will know what is without any explanation ;)

Marco,

struth
11-12-2016, 15:27
That smna thingy may well be your saviour overall. Streaming is so easy that you can sit and get what you want without moving much. Then just a fridge in the arm and a toilet in the seat and your away.:)

rmcin626
11-12-2016, 15:37
That smna thingy may well be your saviour overall. Streaming is so easy that you can sit and get what you want without moving much. Then just a fridge in the arm and a toilet in the seat and your away.:)

sounds like a plan Grant

rmcin626
11-12-2016, 15:39
I had to look up what a "Simaudio Moon Neo Ace" was.... With current stuff like that, don't presume everyone will know what is without any explanation ;)

Marco,

Sorry Marco,
The Ace is an integrated amp, with mm phono stage and Dac and also streaming all in one box

Marco
11-12-2016, 15:44
Churz... After all that, I can't give you an opinion, as I've never heard one! :eyebrows:

Marco.

hifi_dave
11-12-2016, 16:13
Personally, I would go for a good conventional amp and add streaming to it. I know nowt about such things but have customers who have done this for a few hundred Pounds and are very pleased with the results. Apparently, every bit as good as an expensive amp with streaming built in.

rmcin626
11-12-2016, 16:31
Personally, I would go for a good conventional amp and add streaming to it. I know nowt about such things but have customers who have done this for a few hundred Pounds and are very pleased with the results. Apparently, every bit as good as an expensive amp with streaming built in.

That's my problem too David know nowt about streaming and where to start.

Marco
11-12-2016, 16:40
Raspberry Pi and DAC! Cheap as chips and sounds superb. There are plenty of threads about it in the digital section... Read and learn ;)

Marco.

rmcin626
11-12-2016, 16:43
Raspberry Pi and DAC! Cheap as chips and sounds superb. There are plenty of threads about it in the digital section... Read and learn ;)

Marco.

every day is a school day

hifi_dave
11-12-2016, 17:44
Do you need to stream or could you site a laptop within cables length of a DAC ? That would sound better and be far less complicated than streaming.

rmcin626
11-12-2016, 18:01
Do you need to stream or could you site a laptop within cables length of a DAC ? That would sound better and be far less complicated than streaming.

David,
My laptop is on my desk about 10-12 feet from my Hifi rack

hifi_dave
11-12-2016, 18:09
You can run a USB cable from laptop to the DAC or put the DAC close to the laptop and an incon from DAC to amp. No need to stream.

Instead of the expense and complication of streaming, you can now buy a W10 laptop for £300 and site that with the Hi-Fi.

rmcin626
11-12-2016, 18:17
You can run a USB cable from laptop to the DAC or put the DAC close to the laptop and an incon from DAC to amp. No need to stream.

Instead of the expense and complication of streaming, you can now buy a W10 laptop for £300 and site that with the Hi-Fi.
At the moment I have my MacBook Pro connecting over the wifi to an Apple airport express and then cables from the Express into the amp, giving me access to iTunes and Apple Music

struth
11-12-2016, 18:31
Airport express does lossless 16/44 i think. Should sound ok. Think the rpi beat my pc to dac system pretty much hands down. Rpi is a bit of a learning curve though

rmcin626
11-12-2016, 18:38
Airport express does lossless 16/44 i think. Should sound ok. Think the rpi beat my pc to dac system pretty much hands down. Rpi is a bit of a learning curve though
I did have a quick look at the rpi posts in the digital section - started to lose the will to live after 10 pages with another 100 to go.
I think Dave's suggestion might be the way forward for me.

struth
11-12-2016, 18:47
:D

it isnt as difficult as it seems tbh, but having someone to take you through it and there for fallback makes it a lot easier. One of the reasons I thought the all in one unit might be perfect if its in the pricerange. get a good service contract and youve nowt hopefully to worry about. Continuing to use a pc etc with a good dac like stan's bushmaster would e the cheaper way and sure it will sound great. you can add an rpi later and run it through said dac too if you wished to try it. the new rpi 3 can run wireless without issue I believe.

rmcin626
11-12-2016, 18:54
:D

it isnt as difficult as it seems tbh, but having someone to take you through it and there for fallback makes it a lot easier. One of the reasons I thought the all in one unit might be perfect if its in the pricerange. get a good service contract and youve nowt hopefully to worry about. Continuing to use a pc etc with a good dac like stan's bushmaster would e the cheaper way and sure it will sound great. you can add an rpi later and run it through said dac too if you wished to try it. the new rpi 3 can run wireless without issue I believe.
The all in one unit - Neo ace is around £2800, It would probably be the simplest solution but I now think the better sound will be from seperate units - as I'm not a box swapper I just want to make sure I get it right.

struth
11-12-2016, 19:12
The all in one unit - Neo ace is around £2800, It would probably be the simplest solution but I now think the better sound will be from seperate units - as I'm not a box swapper I just want to make sure I get it right.

thers a caiman dac just gone live in sales. upgraded too so a good buy and will sort your dac buying problems out.