PDA

View Full Version : ReVox A77 NAB Adapters

Cas
15-11-2016, 10:28
Since owning my ReVox A77 I have tried two types of NAB adapters, a pair of Tascams and a pair of Darklabs alu cup types.

Not that happy with either to be honest but the more expensive Darklabs which by all accounts are made and designed
on the original ReVox ones are by far the worst to use. When fast rewinding etc they cause a shake which almost makes
me cringe and want to turn it off just in case something breaks, then on playback you can hear a faint clonking noise which does
not sound like the locking mechanism, it's like each rotation you get a faint clonk.

The Tascams do not do this and things do run smoother when using them, but I would not say they are perfect.

Any recommendations of something that maybe better than the two types/makes above ?

Audio Al
15-11-2016, 11:21
Since owning my ReVox A77 I have tried two types of NAB adapters, a pair of Tascams and a pair of Darklabs alu cup types.

Not that happy with either to be honest but the more expensive Darklabs which by all accounts are made and designed
on the original ReVox ones are by far the worst to use. When fast rewinding etc they cause a shake which almost makes
me cringe and want to turn it off just in case something breaks, then on playback you can hear a faint clonking noise which does
not sound like the locking mechanism, it's like each rotation you get a faint clonk.

The Tascams do not do this and things do run smoother when using them, but I would not say they are perfect.

Any recommendations of something that maybe better than the two types/makes above ?

Are the rubber O ring in good condition / New ?

Cas
15-11-2016, 11:51
Yup, rubber rings are fine, the Darklabs are a new item.

bobreel
15-11-2016, 23:57
I had a similar problem with the Revox NABs. I found one of the three pucks was not located correctly in the recess in the plastic base section. Locating it cured the clonk during playback and the rattle on rewind. It also helps if the O ring is new and supple and not cracked. Hope this helps.

Cas
16-11-2016, 09:15
I had a similar problem with the Revox NABs. I found one of the three pucks was not located correctly in the recess in the plastic base section. Locating it cured the clonk during playback and the rattle on rewind. It also helps if the O ring is new and supple and not cracked. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I checked but will check again just to make sure.

Cas
24-11-2016, 13:16
Problem sorted, I have some ReVox NAB adapters onto which I had fitted some metal trumpets, click click, and feint clunking.

Seeing as these trumpets are held on with screws I removed them, hey guess what by removing the bling no more click click
and or feint clunking. I can only assume it is or was something to do with the weight of the metal trumpets.
( Could not try the above with the Darklab adapters as the trumpets are fitted in place without screws. )

Just starting to realize how much smoother the ReVox runs without the bling, and looks better without those big metal
trumpets hanging on the front of it.

Oh and the Tascam adapters are pretty much OK also if you use them correctly, :doh:

Cas
30-11-2016, 18:02
Got myself some Akai NAB adapters, best I have used, they lock onto the spindle which
stops any movement there maybe, well pleased with them :)