PDA

View Full Version : Usher Dancer Mini Two speakers ?

Audio Al
13-11-2016, 16:02
Usher Dancer Mini Two speakers ?

Any own or have owned these ?

I have sold my Impulse H6 speakers and am looking for a upgrade / replacement set :)

eksiil
13-11-2016, 20:25
I have a pair (the diamond tweeter version). move up from Opera Quintas. very pleased with the sound via Croft 7R monos.

Usher Dancer Mini Two speakers ?

Any own or have owned these ?

I have sold my Impulse H6 speakers and am looking for a upgrade / replacement set :)

hifinutt
14-11-2016, 23:14
now I won`t work out the fare to Estonia to listen to these !!! :lol:

jandl100
15-11-2016, 07:45
I think it was a pair of these that I heard at a hifi show a couple of years back - it was a small pair of Usher floorstanders with diamond tweeter, and I think Mini Dancers.

Good sound except for a very bright top-end. I certainly couldn't live with them. A mate I was going round the show with agreed.

Way more toppy than you'd get with a component mismatch - so I'm pretty sure the finger of fate points at the speakers.

Macca
15-11-2016, 08:27
Unless the design is idiotic, which you wouldn't expect from Usher, I doubt the problem there was the speakers.

jandl100
15-11-2016, 08:31
No, I'm pretty sure it was the speakers.
I agree that Usher usually make a very fine speaker.
But maybe they were aiming at the pop/rock sector where a feisty treble appeals to many listeners and can make the music seem impressive. Mission did the same for many years. Not all speakers are neutral, and nor are they intended to be.

Marco
15-11-2016, 08:57
Yes, the output from those diamond tweeters can be a tad 'exuberant'......

Marco.

Audio Al
15-11-2016, 10:06
Can someone buy a pair please so I can have a listen :lol:

I read several " GLOWING REVIEWS " on the web , But then wondered why these have already had 2 owners :scratch: in such a short time , I can't be doing toopy :nono:

Spectral Morn
15-11-2016, 10:19
More for solid state amps than low powered valve ones I think.

jandl100
15-11-2016, 10:39
Yes, the output from those diamond tweeters can be a tad 'exuberant'......

Marco.

Yes, that certainly can be the case. I've heard quite a few examples.
I've also heard diamond tweeters to sound quite superb - high up in the Focal range, for example - but that was when RRPs get well into 5 £figures - for some reason they seem to voice the cheaper ones rather hot. :scratch: Or maybe you just can't do diamond tweeters properly on the cheap, for some reason?

Macca
15-11-2016, 12:28
Toppiness is easy to sort out with intelligent interconnect and speaker cable choices. Supposedly the TQ cable tames it which is why some people love it and some think it is the worst thing ever, since it's success depends on the speaker's balance to begin with.

Getting a dull speaker to liven up, that is the hard task.

Now if they still made modern speakers like the proper old fashioned speakers - i.e with level controls, we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with.

jandl100
15-11-2016, 12:42
Toppiness is easy to sort out with intelligent interconnect and speaker cable choices..

Martin, just have a listen to them. :doh:
Waaaay more than a choice of cables can sort out.
A graphic equaliser would do it - slope it off above about 2KHz is my guess.

Macca
15-11-2016, 13:44
I grant you I am at a disadvantage not having heard them, but I have heard other Ushers. Will have a look on line for some measurements.

Incidentally at MiBO I had taken my old Akais along so that we would have a high sensitivity speaker for the Leben to work with. As it was it was fine with the JBLs but later on someone set them up anyway with a Luxman and a Sony TT. The top end was taking my head off.

I dropped the mid and top levels by 2 notches from nominal: problem solved. They don't need that doing with any of my kit, so an overly bright sound (this was super-bright) isn't always down to the speaker.

Macca
15-11-2016, 14:00
Here is the FR plot from HFW. Flat as a pancake.

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/loudspeakers/65-reviews/511-usher-dancer-mini-two.html?start=3

Must say having skimmed the review I quite fancy some of these myself.

daytona600
15-11-2016, 14:17
Usher never made anything but great sounding value speakers
do prefer the older Be tweeters myself to the modern diamond ones much more sweetness
used BE10s ( be version ) for years myself & dancer twos where great value until new importer doubled the price
Dancers can be driven by 9wpc 300b in a small room & also 900wpc SS in a big room at least until the tweeters went

lewis
15-11-2016, 18:41
I have a pair of the Mini Dancer 2 and love em! NO WAY are they forward/bright - the treble is beautifully smooth, sweet and detailed, as you can see in the hi-fi world measured performance.

You guys who say it was forward probably heard the mini dancer 1, which is known to have a rising treble response, as can be seen in the hi-fi world measured performance;

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi2uafHsqvQAhVDDMAKHd3zCLQQFggiMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hi-fiworld.co.uk%2Findex.php%2Floudspeakers%2F65-reviews%2F388-usher-dancer-mini-one.html&usg=AFQjCNGKQcwNXz_cW3AnpyBkKrrGChWFjQ

jandl100
16-11-2016, 07:44
You guys who say it was forward probably heard the mini dancer 1, which is known to have a rising treble response, as can be seen in the hi-fi world measured performance;

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi2uafHsqvQAhVDDMAKHd3zCLQQFggiMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hi-fiworld.co.uk%2Findex.php%2Floudspeakers%2F65-reviews%2F388-usher-dancer-mini-one.html&usg=AFQjCNGKQcwNXz_cW3AnpyBkKrrGChWFjQ

Ah - OK!
Suddenly all is clear. :)

I did say I wasn't sure of the model I heard. Mk1 not mk2, then.

I even got the frequency inflection point right - 2KHz! :D