PDA

View Full Version : Fault Diagnosis - amp

mikeyb
13-11-2016, 14:44
Hi,

I was about to sell my Claymore 2 amp and thought I better test it before selling and it blooming well has an issue with hissing and crackling out of one channel ( confirmed as left channel only ).

Videos showing the problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/bN8Xn4XiR7Q6ynU4GLIfQFDriwsaL3tl3In122iOROA?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/3ckFg1Jw6UsG20pPvy4f2dwmh5RfoXnpYsXAeLPQZKs?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Any help/advice greatly appreciated, it's annoying as it hasn't been used other than to test a phono stage two weeks ago, it was serviced and upgraded a few months back, so not sure if something has just died in the meantime through recent use after being dormant for so long.

struth
13-11-2016, 14:47
Vids not up yet. I had an amp do that recently. Still not fixed yet either. Only the phono stage Mike or did you try anything else plugged in?

mikeyb
13-11-2016, 14:49
Vids not up yet. I had an amp do that recently. Still not fixed yet either. Only the phono stage Mike or did you try anything else plugged in?
I uploaded video but says not working or unavailable, it does it with nothing plugged in so it's definitely a fault with the amp, even if disconnect speakers and use headphones it's the same.

I'll host the video elsewhere and upload again.

DSJR
13-11-2016, 14:52
Don't use it until it's fixed, as this fault could cause a major blowup...

struth
13-11-2016, 14:55
could be a number of things tbh. i wouldnt connect it to any good speakers meantime. best getting an engineer to look at it tbh

mikeyb
13-11-2016, 15:03
2 video links now provided :(

struth
13-11-2016, 15:09
Hi freq. sounds like....is that on every selector position or just on phono?

mikeyb
13-11-2016, 15:16
Damn, sorry should have been more detailed, yeah it's on every position, whether volume up or down.

Be handy if it's an easy repair so could get it done local as it cost £50 postage to send it for service and return plus the service and upgrade cost so not keen to spend a lot more especially with a selling price of £300 including £25 P+P, it's getting near being pointless selling it as I am already out of pocket at the current selling price :(

walpurgis
13-11-2016, 15:29
You could of course sell it as requiring attention. They are popular and I'd think somebody would have it. Just price accordingly.

struth
13-11-2016, 15:37
Sounds like preamp trouble tbh. . Parts probably wont be expensive but labour could be. Ive heard something like that before. Take it there is nothing else on nearbye with radio waves or the like that could be spuriously interfering with it or cable runs etc.

Ali might have a look for you.. hes a bright young man

mikeyb
13-11-2016, 15:47
It's a bloody pain cos it was working perfect after getting it back from Colin ( one of the cleanest and measured like new when he had it to service and upgrade ), and I just stuck it in cupboard, and now I'm selling it this happens - no wonder I get fed up and P'd off as everything I do with Hi-Fi is a hassle, I just feel like giving it all up at times and selling the whole lot :steam: :rolleyes::scratch:

Ali Tait
13-11-2016, 15:47
LOL, I wouldn't go that far!

mikeyb
13-11-2016, 15:54
bright :eyebrows: young :scratch: man :fingers:

mikeyb
13-11-2016, 15:55
I'm off to kick, sorry walk the dog :eek:

struth
13-11-2016, 16:05
Wont be much at a guess mike. Just finding it might be .after saying tha it could take 10 mins as well.you never know

mikeyb
13-11-2016, 17:22
Yeah, you've got me thinking about picking up interference, it's worse in computer room where I have the WiFi router and pc. In living room I get same effect but less of it, in there it might be affected by the powerline adapters. I'll wait until Colin's back in business ( health scare again last week ), and I'll see what he thinks of the videos.

struth
13-11-2016, 17:30
Try switching off adaptors . See if it improves.. it sounds like rf.

danilo
13-11-2016, 17:56
Seemingly Odd circumstances. Recently serviced.. Put away.
Now iy produces Ugly noises?
Odd indeed.
As a Guess; Corrosion from a dampish storage location ?? in the connector plugs and even in the Pin sockets (is this a Tube gizmo?)
Buy some Deoxit??

Cost of repairs is Too often more than the resale value of a repaired item.. a Futile exercise unfortunately..

Puffin
13-11-2016, 19:36
I had this in a Dac. Turned out to be am op-amp.