PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried these speakers ?

Audio Al
12-11-2016, 12:21
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262692697414?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Feedback would be appreciated :)

Stratmangler
12-11-2016, 14:42
Never heard 'em.
They're mahoosive, and they have something that doesn't in reality exist - a full range driver.

You'll be able to power them with 1 or 2 watts, and they'll sound coloured in the usual areas.
They'll be hot in the 7KHz area, which means they'll have a tendency to sound screechy unless you use suitably coloured sounding single ended valve amplifiers.

struth
12-11-2016, 14:44
Mine dont.:)

Stratmangler
12-11-2016, 14:51
You have a pair of these beasts?

struth
12-11-2016, 14:57
no, but they are full range... most of mine are.. my main pair sound imo superb, and i woukdnt swap them for a 5k set.

paulf-2007
13-11-2016, 10:20
Never heard 'em.
They're mahoosive, and they have something that doesn't in reality exist - a full range driver.

You'll be able to power them with 1 or 2 watts, and they'll sound coloured in the usual areas.
They'll be hot in the 7KHz area, which means they'll have a tendency to sound screechy unless you use suitably coloured sounding single ended valve amplifiers.you are a genius, you haven't heard them but you know so much about them.

hughandella
13-11-2016, 11:28
you are a genius, you haven't heard them but you know so much about them.

ha ha I have to agree ........ Full range speakers arent perfect but what is ? ...... try some electric beach frugals or 47 labs Lens and then decide ........ these look like some thought has gone into them

southall-1998
13-11-2016, 12:28
Never heard 'em.

They'll be hot in the 7KHz area, which means they'll have a tendency to sound screechy unless you use suitably coloured sounding single ended valve amplifiers.

Care to name which particular make?

S.

Stratmangler
13-11-2016, 12:46
Care to name which particular make?

S.

Nope.
Someone will come over all pissy defending their choice of amplifier.
I can guarantee it.

southall-1998
13-11-2016, 12:53
Nope.
Someone will come over all pissy defending their choice of amplifier.
I can guarantee it.

What kind of crap response is that? You are hardly bringing any contribution to this thread!!

S.

Macca
13-11-2016, 18:35
Given that these are a DIY speaker and not branded, and there is no indication that they came from a stock kit, it is unlikely that anyone is going to have heard them except the seller, his family and friends, Chris made a reasonable guess IMO. I have heard some single driver speakers that were very similar in size and design. What struck me was that the sweet spot was tiny, move your head just half an inch to the left and all the sound seem to come from the left speaker. Might have been the way it was set up I suppose.

Audio Al
13-11-2016, 19:03
Thanks for the replys , Looks like I will give them a miss then

danilo
13-11-2016, 19:54
Are you in real need of "good" speakers then?
IF so: these Audio Nirvana (yes silly name) speakers in the 8" size (best of breed) Ferrite or Alnico ..wallet dependent,
are Surprisingly GOOD drivers.
One can do Far worse ;)

hifinutt
13-11-2016, 20:06
must be worth a demo surely . I heard a similar speaker once and while it was not perfect . the sense of presence was awesome !

hifinutt
13-11-2016, 20:07
https://youtu.be/cSHJOOLhHTI

Stratmangler
13-11-2016, 21:03
You could do worse than giving Steve (Electric Beach) a visit - he's only down the road in Sarfend.

Beobloke
14-11-2016, 12:51
Are you in real need of "good" speakers then?

Given that Al owns a pair of RAM 400s, I would say he already owns some really good speakers. He may have lost them in his pishanto room , however... :D;)

RothwellAudio
14-11-2016, 16:09
Although I have never heard those speakers I would defend Stratmangler's comments, at least in principal. I have heard some full range single driver speakers sound truly horrible and it is pretty much impossible for a single moving coil cone speaker to cover 20Hz-20kHz.
Having said that, I'm sure single driver speakers can be made to sound more balanced than I have heard and their particular trade-offs might suit some listeners/rooms/music tastes.
I'd certainly want to hear them for myself before taking a £1290 gamble.

struth
14-11-2016, 16:21
Fair enough although ive heard plenty multi drivers that sound horrible too. Guess it depends on you wants and needs but my ones are imo bloody good. My smaller ones using same drivers but only single are very nice too.

RothwellAudio
14-11-2016, 16:44
No offence intended to those speakers or yourself or anyone else who likes their single driver speakers - just wouldn't want the OP to make an impulse purchase and live to regret it.
We all have our preferences and priorities. Some people for example want their systems to go really loud, but that doesn't really matter to me very much.

struth
14-11-2016, 16:49
No offence was taken by either of you. I just wanted to say single drivers can sound good. I would agree most probably dont though. I dont especially like it loud myself but being efficient the can go loud with very little power. Do like a little though. Drivers are in series as they are low ohmage and low wattage. It was something i felt was worth trying and was surprised as to how good they are. All obviously imo.

Macca
14-11-2016, 17:00
Grant: your full range Telefunkens are nothing like the speakers being discussed here. Totally different driver and implementation. Comparing the two is like lumping a land rover defender in with an Imprezza because they both have four wheel drive and ignoring all the other differences.

struth
14-11-2016, 17:03
Sorry for speaking ;)

danilo
14-11-2016, 17:06
Erm OK clearly Audio Nirvanas Ain't Big inna UK... it is an island ;)
Their 8 inchers though IMO sound as good or arguably better than 10" golds.
Surprising rascals ...out of left field more or less.

Some claim their 15's equal/best Tannoy 15's (they don't by my ears)
Still... making such claims suggests unexpectedly good performances

Macca
14-11-2016, 17:17
Sorry for speaking ;)

Well you know what I mean. My first speakers were single driver full range and they were complete shit, they did come free with the Aiwa midi-system though. They did look like multi-way speakers, but the tweeter was just drawn onto the grille with silver paint. Which in fairness meant that at least you couldn't blow them. Judge all single driver speakers by them? No, and well I should not.

RothwellAudio
14-11-2016, 17:25
Erm OK clearly Audio Nirvanas Ain't Big inna UK... it is an island ;)
Their 8 inchers though IMO sound as good or arguably better than 10" golds.
Surprising rascals ...out of left field more or less.

Some claim their 15's equal/best Tannoy 15's (they don't by my ears)
Still... making such claims suggests unexpectedly good performances

But Tannoys aren't full range drivers as such, they're two-way speakers with the tweeter located at the centre of the bass driver.

RothwellAudio
14-11-2016, 17:26
They did look like multi-way speakers, but the tweeter was just drawn onto the grille with silver paint.

Genius :lol:

struth
14-11-2016, 17:27
Lol... i made a set of phillips ones up...well only 1 speaker was made. I tried it and hid it in shame :eyebrows: terrible is an understatement. Meant to have been decent drivers but i thought them ghastly, gutless things. Still got the drivers i think. Kept them to remind myself its not easy :). Got 4 successes though to counter that. Last ones the scream cheese

Audio Al
15-11-2016, 09:57
Given that Al owns a pair of RAM 400s, I would say he already owns some really good speakers. He may have lost them in his pishanto room , however... :D;)

I know Exactly where they are , Im looking at the right now :eyebrows:

Barry
15-11-2016, 12:58
Well they are beautifully made,and have a certain style to them, but they are rear horn-loaded designs similar to Lowther Acoustas.
http://www.sonido.hu/aion.php?lang=hu

The Lowthers had a wonderful presence, attack, transient response and had high sensitivity, so only needed a few watts to demonstrate good dynamics. But they were as coloured as sin, and wouldn't expect the Aions to be any better.

It is very difficult for a single driver to cover the full audio spectrum, without compromises at either end. At the start of my audio career I built a pair of large 'bookshelf' speakers (24" x 10" x 8") using a Wharfedale RS8/DD 8"driver in a distributed-port enclosure, following Wharfedale's instructions. They probably covered 40Hz to 18kHz without difficulty, but it could be argued the driver was actually a twin coaxial unit with a mechanical crossover.

jandl100
15-11-2016, 13:09
£1.29k

You are likely to get the .29k back when you sell them on, ;)

I have heard some truly appalling, commercially available single driver speakers at a Show that looked very similar.