PDA

View Full Version : My work in progress

sburrell
08-12-2009, 17:14
I'm going to start with a pic of the system as whole, but the stand everything's resting on is no longer what I use. After annotating the pic I changed it, and couldn't be bothered re-doing the whole thing just 'cos of the stand---sue me! ;)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_gXAKzRcxI1U/SxC4ksvIT1I/AAAAAAAAAIY/kt89fnhFSBA/s800/AoS_My%20System_scaled.jpg

Here's what everything stands on now:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_gXAKzRcxI1U/Sx6FpPIxM6I/AAAAAAAAALM/17F33XhuMrk/s800/AoS_My%20System-new%20stand_Scaled.jpg

(apologies to all the photographers who frequent the forums for the poor lighting:eek:)

Since I swapped the old TV cabinet for the tubular steel desk I think I'm noticing more high-end detail—I may just be imagining it though, I'll see. My main reason for ditching the cabinet though was the dark wood and the general way it seemed to suck the light from the room.

Anyway, the new stand is a work in progress: see my thread here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4754) on what I plan to do with this. Eventually, I'll figure out a way of giving the DAC a shelf of its own… :(

And now for some gratuitous smilies!

:fence: :santa:

Kris
08-12-2009, 17:33
Looks good. Simple, straightforward and neat. Love the thick curtains, good idea!

Maybe try some of these (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/flatfeet_audio/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686) instead of the Blu-tack.

Alex_UK
08-12-2009, 18:05
Nice one Simon, looking good.

dantheman91
08-12-2009, 20:58
Nice;) i have a Cyrus one amp - also an arcam alpha 7 cd player beautiful if i must say oh and also mighty Rogers LS7 speakers.

also what music do you play

Dan

sburrell
08-12-2009, 21:17
@Dan: there's a wee link at the bottom of my sig… :)

The Vinyl Adventure
08-12-2009, 21:38
A regular customer who sadly died a year or so back swore by blu-tack we did a hifi house clearance for his wife after he died. I have neve seen so much of the stuff! I wa in the bottom of everything! Someof it had been there so long it has almost set solid, we had to pry some if the componants apart with a chisel! By the end we had a ball of it the size of a small melon!!
Nice bloke he was, but blimey he was crazy for the stuff!

The new stand def looks more apropriate than the old one!

Dantheman91 - you seem to have slipped through the net, if you go to the wecome area and have a look at other peoples posts there is a tradition of posting a little bit about your self and system and music etc!

St3v3
08-12-2009, 21:45
@Dan: there's a wee link at the bottom of my sig… :)

Wow! 28 Days - now there's a blast from the past! :eek:

Good looking system, by the way. I've used some gel wrist rests to place my kit on; inexpensive and effective. Huzzah!

sburrell
08-12-2009, 23:07
@Hamish: If anything, I'll be the one who, when he dies, people find spikes under everything! :) Just, I'm not yet sure how to go about implementing them properly—requires a little more work than blu-tack, as I'm retrofitting them mostly.
@Steve: 28 Days Later has some astounding tracks, most notably those sung by Perri Alleyne. Heavenly voice.

webby
10-12-2009, 14:10
Simon, where on earth did you get that iMac for £400?!

sburrell
10-12-2009, 14:37
Webby, it was on sale in the window of a nearby branch of Cash Generator. They seldom sell Macs and I think were pleased to get rid of it. I got it with original matching keyboard and Mighty Mouse. It came without install discs, but Apple replaced those free of charge when I called Technical Support. Yes, believe it or not, the iMac was still within its first year of warranty when I bought it!
Wait till I tell you about the Power Mac G4 "Quicksilver" I got from Cash Converters for, um, was it £100? This one (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_867_dp_mdd.html). They'd had it for ages and gave it to me for a whisker over its trade-in price… :) Since sold to a start-up graphic design company because: due to the older architecture, upgrading the graphics card was pointless, and yielded no benefits; the power consumption was higher than I liked; it was a notably noisy iteration of the Power Mac range; and the Intel architecture was becoming prominent anyway.
@Kris & St3v3: Thanks for the advice on supports. If the spiking is taking too long to implement, I'll look into your suggestions. :)

webby
10-12-2009, 15:08
Wow! You got a bona fide bargain Simon, well done.

Ali Tait
11-12-2009, 17:05
Yes,these Cash Converter type places have some stonking bargains at times.I got a Pioneer PD-S505 for £19.99! O.K. not mint and no remote,but works perfectly.

Alex_UK
11-12-2009, 21:00
Yes,these Cash Converter type places have some stonking bargains at times.I got a Pioneer PD-S505 for £19.99! O.K. not mint and no remote,but works perfectly.

Yep, but pity the poor bastards that had their house or businesses turned over... (Else why would anyone sell a virtually new imac with no install discs???) Or maybe I'm too cynical!?

sburrell
11-12-2009, 21:02
@Alex: What do you mean by "house or businesses turned over?" You mean raided by the bailiffs? I must confess, I was always curious how I got the iMac for such a good price. Initially I thought theft, but the staff at CC assure me they run checks before purchasing items like this.

Alex_UK
11-12-2009, 22:55
Well I was thinking more fenced goods - (I'm sure the checks they do are not insurmountable...) but of course it is just as likely that it is other misfortune - such as debt - not wishing to put a downer on the day, but most people who buy a nice shiny new imac would want to keep hold of it, wouldn't they? And if not, I suspect the "Cash Cow" places are not as generous as say an ad in the local paper or even ebay, where generally prices reach a democratic equilibrium, I reckon.

sburrell
11-12-2009, 23:02
I suspect the Cash Cow places are not as generous as say an ad in the local paper or even ebay
Exactly. I mean, that's why Macs so seldom end up in those shops---people who buy them tend to know their worth, and know they won't get it there.
I really hope I didn't end up with a filched jobby, but it's a bit late now if I did.

Alex_UK
11-12-2009, 23:10
Nothing you can do, and you acted in good faith - so just enjoy! Based on the fact that one of these places sold Hamish 2 SL1210s for £250 (from memory, I can't be arsed to check!) it is just as likely they paid someone £600 for it then sold it for £400! ;)

Beechwoods
12-12-2009, 15:32
Coming to this late, Simon, but an excellent original post - thank you!

sburrell
12-12-2009, 18:19
Aw gee shucks, thanks, Nick *blushes* :) Is it because of the annotations on the pic? I enjoyed doing them *nerdgasm*

webby
12-12-2009, 19:35
What did you use to annotate Simon?

sburrell
12-12-2009, 20:02
"Preview.app" as supplied with OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard."