PDA

View Full Version : Small HiFi Stand Project

sburrell
08-12-2009, 16:26
Hi,

I've just picked up what I consider to be an excellent basis for a compact hifi stand for a tenner.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_gXAKzRcxI1U/Sx5tOCUYxsI/AAAAAAAAAJU/RysYUaA0PT4/s400/AoS_Hifi-Table_Scaled.jpg
Bear in mind my only source is my iMac, and that the whole thing sits between my speakers. Still, it is a shelf short for my needs, but I'll mention that later…
First thing I like about it is it's tubular steel so the legs are fillable.
The shelf will eventually support a slab of dense material on spikes, itself supporting the amp and DAC. In the meantime, I'll buy the dense material and just use blu-tack.
Second thing I like about it is the top shelf:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_gXAKzRcxI1U/Sx5tOaX_KAI/AAAAAAAAAJY/wAcHUkqNSG8/s400/AoS_Hifi-Table-fixings_Scaled.jpg
My plan is eventually to remove those screws and put in upward facing spikes, and then support some suitable dense material. I'll need advice here.
Finally, the feet:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_gXAKzRcxI1U/Sx5tOcFv84I/AAAAAAAAAJc/uyd-dMa-zQs/s400/AoS_Hifi-Table-feet_Scaled.jpg
Somehow, eventually, I'd like to have spikes here too, though I'm not sure how I'll do it. The inserts here are rubber or plastic at the moment. I'll need advice here too.

I guess if I have a first question, it's to do with filling material. I went to a builder's merchant to enquire about kiln-dried sand, and in the course of things discovered granite dust. Not sure what it is, exactly, but if anyone's acquainted with it, is it a suitable filler, and is it better than kiln-dried sand?
My second question would be: which material should I use for the shelving? I've been asking about slate and granite, but in truth I'd rather have something considerably lighter in colour---more like this (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10246987&fh_view_size=10&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3 c%7b9372013%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9372031%7d%2fcate gories%3c%7b9372102%7d%2fspecificationsProductType %3dslate___stone_floor_tiles&fh_refview=lister&ts=1260286471451&isSearch=false). Also, I'm interested in the composite material someone mentioned somewhere before on AoS, analogous to MDF but made from stone dust?

Anyway, this post's getting long enough. Thanks for looking! :)

Rare Bird
08-12-2009, 17:01
Go to Early learning centre & buy childrens sand, it's perfectly dry & cheaper than what you can buy from speaker stand companies.

The spiking those legs is easy if you have a welding kit!

I'd be tempted to grind away those mounting brackets & fit spikes into the top rail, sit a piece of granite ontop..

aquapiranha
08-12-2009, 17:13
Easiest way to fit spikes is weld nuts into the bottom of the legs into which you can then screw the spikes.

sburrell
11-12-2009, 18:57
@Andre: I picked up some ELC sand yesterday, but when I opened it today I could tell it contained more than a little moisture---it sticks together so much that when I opened the bag the sand inside retained the shape when the sides moved away. Attempted a workaround (don't ask---involved condoms… ;))So, drying it… can I just stick some in a pot (I have an aluminium pot with some kind of cheap non-stick lining that I'll happily abuse), stick it on the electric hob and cook it that way for a while to dry it? I'll stir as I go with a wooden spoon. I don't have a baking tray, you see, and I'd rather not buy one just for this. Any health risks inherent in this task? Don't want to expose myself to any nasty vapours.
Ta!

Themis
11-12-2009, 19:00
Attempted a workaround (don't ask---involved condoms… ;))
I hope you made a video... or at least some pics. :lol:

sburrell
11-12-2009, 19:08
I guess in these days of £250 per vid on YBF!, it should be second-nature to video anything you do that's vaguely out of the ordinary, just in case. Well, next time ;)

Jonboy
11-12-2009, 19:11
Simon, i would just go and buy some kiln dried sand from a builders merchants, make sure that has been dry stored, and use a funnel or adapted plastic bottle to pour it down the tubes, i used this for a pair of home made speakers stands several years ago, this made them very heavy, another thought is to use a plastic metal to fill the tube ends(JB weld or simular), this can be drilled and tapped to accept spikes, but you must make sure that it is well rammed in the holes, i have had varying success with this stuff. what about fettling some hardwood and jamming this in the tube ends, you could drill and glue some spikes into this,

Primalsea
11-12-2009, 19:23
Putting nuts on the end of the legs is easy.
You will need 4 nuts, try to find some that are a press fit into the legs. Failing this just get them as big as you can but still able to fit inside the legs.
2 Sticks of Steel Stick Epoxy Putty.
4 Bolts for your nuts (these can be turned into spikes later on).
a Thread Tap that matches your nuts and bolts

Dig out the plastic feet and CLEAN the insides of the legs with a wire brush.
Mix half a stick of putty EXTREMELY well and push it into the leg so its flush with the end and then push the nut in until thats flush with the end of the leg.

Do the same for the other legs and leave it all to cure FULLY.

Find a drill bit that JUST CLEARLY fits inside the nuts and use it to SLOWLY drill out a hole aligned with the hole in the nut.

Use the Tap to cut a thread into the Epoxy.

Hope that's clear!!

As long as you clean the insides of the legs and mix the epoxy properly you will get a very good bond.

Mike
11-12-2009, 19:25
Just use regular 'any old sand'... stick it in a large casserole dish or decent size metal tray on pop it in a low oven for a few hours. Done!

The Grand Wazoo
11-12-2009, 20:30
Just use regular 'any old sand'... stick it in a large casserole dish or decent size metal tray on pop it in a low oven for a few hours. Done!

Just till it's medium rare, mind. Season to taste. Don't over-cook it though, or you'll get glass!!

The Vinyl Adventure
11-12-2009, 20:42
squeeze of lime(stone) and your sure to get glass!